Sign in with
Your question

Unable to Copy From My Hard Drive or Pen Drive to My Computer

Last response: in Windows Vista
November 30, 2012 6:51:47 AM

HI,

I am unable to copy files of any size to my computer. However I am able to copy files to my desktop, and still unable to move those files to any of my drives. I have tried booting in safe mode and was still unable to copy, I also tried to copy using Tera Copy to no avail. I have not installed any Antivirus Software as it slows down my computer (If this might be the exact cause I am planning to install Norton Antivirus).

Operating System: Windows Vista SP2
Mother Board: ASUS M2NPV-VM
Ram: 3GB
Internal Hard Drive: Seagate 2tb (NTFS File System)
External Hard Drive: Seagate Goflex 1tb (NTFS File System)
Pen Drive : Sandisk 16gb (FAT32 File System)

Any Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kishore
November 30, 2012 7:00:54 AM

Kishorereddy said:
HI,

I am unable to copy files of any size to my computer. However I am able to copy files to my desktop, and still unable to move those files to any of my drives. I have tried booting in safe mode and was still unable to copy, I also tried to copy using Tera Copy to no avail. I have not installed any Antivirus Software as it slows down my computer (If this might be the exact cause I am planning to install Norton Antivirus).

Operating System: Windows Vista SP2
Mother Board: ASUS M2NPV-VM
Ram: 3GB
Internal Hard Drive: Seagate 2tb (NTFS File System)
External Hard Drive: Seagate Goflex 1tb (NTFS File System)
Pen Drive : Sandisk 16gb (FAT32 File System)

Any Suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Kishore

To say the least, this is confusing ! I am unable to copy files of any size to my computer. However I am able to copy files to my desktop, and still unable to move those files to any of my drives

If you think your computer is slow now, wait til Norton is installed. It is a big memory hog ! There are plenty of "Free for Home Users" AV's on the WEB which are better, IMO. And, if you have been running without an AV, then infection of your computer is quite possible. I suppose you do not have a firewall installed either. With respect to the Sandisk Pen drive, some models have a write protect switch on the device which has to be moved to unprotect position.
November 30, 2012 7:35:21 AM

ksiemb said:
To say the least, this is confusing ! I am unable to copy files of any size to my computer. However I am able to copy files to my desktop, and still unable to move those files to any of my drives

If you think your computer is slow now, wait til Norton is installed. It is a big memory hog ! There are plenty of "Free for Home Users" AV's on the WEB which are better, IMO. And, if you have been running without an AV, then infection of your computer is quite possible. I suppose you do not have a firewall installed either. With respect to the Sandisk Pen drive, some models have a write protect switch on the device which has to be moved to unprotect position.

Thanks for your reply.

Let me make it simpler.

I am trying to copy files from my external hard drive to my desktop computer. I am not able to copy files of any size. However as I said earlier, I am able to copy files from the same external hard drive to my computer desktop (Home Screen) and not able to copy files to any my D drives or E Drives. ( I can paste files on to my desktop screen and not on my D drives or E Drives)

I am able to copy files from my external hard drive and pen drive to other computers. It is not happening only on my computer.

I will try installing AVG, and check and Firewall in ON on my Computer.

!