Your question
Closed

The path is too deep

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
September 26, 2010 6:16:43 AM

Hello,
hello
i have VPN connection to connect stations with Head Office but sometimes when i tried to copy files from station to HO when i use share folder the message appear (cannot copy the path is too peep)or (cannot copy access deined )

what is the solution ?
iaw_88@yahoo.com

More about : path deep

September 26, 2010 6:25:39 AM

Keep total path 255 characters or less.
September 26, 2010 6:27:13 AM

Quote:
Hello,
hello
i have VPN connection to connect stations with Head Office but sometimes when i tried to copy files from station to HO when i use share folder the message appear (cannot copy the path is too peep)or (cannot copy access deined )

what is the solution ?
iaw_88@yahoo.com

Try copying the file first within your own system from its present position to the root of C: so that it only has a name preceded by C:\. That's as short as its going to get. Once you've sent it to HO, delete it from C: so you have only one working copy it its original folder and if you amend it in future, copy it to C: again before shipping it outside the system.
Related resources
November 12, 2012 6:04:39 PM

Long Path Tool helped me in this situation if you want than you can use them. I hope that you will resolve your problem - PathTooDeep.com
December 17, 2012 6:08:39 AM

Quote:
Hello,
hello

what is the solution ?
iaw_88@yahoo.com

"Long Path Tool" program can solve your problem
March 24, 2013 3:14:57 PM

tigsounds said:

Keep total path 255 characters or less.

This error being the result of a 255 limit for the path is highly unlikely, and a number of factors point to this:

1. When copying multiple files, windows will copy files with longer filenames than the one it decides to stop at.

2. Often if you restart the file transfer from the file with the supposedly 'path too deep' the transfer will continue, copying the file without issue.. For example, you're copying 20 files, it copies the first 10 then gives the error on the 11th. If you select the remaining 10 files (11 - 20) the copy will proceed.

3. Copying the file by itself will work.

4. The error often appears AFTER the file has been successfully copied to the destination folder already!!!!

I have no idea what the cause may be, but it's not always that the path is too long. Maybe MS needs to look into it further.....
!