Help with a hot CPU and after market fan

Stretch32

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I just bought a Mass Cool CPU cooler (model 8WA741) with the intention of doing some overclocking later but after getting it installed my CPU is running at 38*C. The manual for this CPU says thats the max temp it should be at. It seemed to run around 33*C on stock cooling after being on all day and I would have thought this would bring the temp down some. Does anybody have any thoughts?

This is the first time I've ever tried to install a fan on a CPU so it's possible (likely :) ) I messed something up. I put the included heat paste on the CPU and installed the fan fairly tight but not so much I'd crack the Mobo. Is there any method to this process or is it simply apply the paste and install? Is it possible I put too much/not enough paste on or not tighten the fan enough for good heat transfer? I checked the fan and it's working just fine as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

Stretch

PS- does anybody know any good software for keeping tabs on your system? I've seen a few links in overclocking about them. I'd just like to keep an eye on my CPU temp more easily while trying to solve this problem.

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
It's definitely possible to apply too much thermal paste (it can be a bit of a 'less is more' scenario). The idea of the paste is to fill in any micro-gaps between the cooler and the processor, so only a thin film is required. Apply exactly as per manufactureres instructions and given a choice use an aftermarket TIM like AS5. Also, it takes quite a while for new thermal paste to settle in so you won;'t see its full effects for possible a couple of weeks. The differences in heat transfer properties between 'generic' thermal paste and the good stuff are enormous(sp?).

And, yes, it is possible to under-torque a cooler with screw fittings, but new motherboards can be expensive so be careful is you decide to tighten further! I guess an easy way to tell if it's on tight enough is to gently rock it. If you think it's leaving contact with the processor then a little extra torque may help. Please note that if in the event you motherboard cracks if you try this, I don;t actually exist and therefore can't be tracked down ;)

What CPU are you using? 38°C is very cool for a max operating temperature.

Realtemp (http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/) is a good prog for monitoring temps. Everest (http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?ps=UE&lang=en&page=10) is good for general monitoring. The link is for a trial version, but (imo) worth every penny to buy. I don't know how long the trial version lasts for though. I'm sure I had it running for a couple of months before i bought it.

Stretch32

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Thanks for the reply and software suggestions, I tried realtemp and works great. I have an Intel E8600 3.33ghz dual core.

It may be possible I added too much paste as I was afraid of not adding enough and frying my CPU. Unfourtunately, this cooler didn't come with instructions and I couldn't find a good link on the manufacturer's website so I had to shoot from the hip. I'll wait it out as you suggested and see if the temps don't come down or at least stay where they are.

You say 38*C is very cool? I was just concerned because the booklet that came with the CPU said 38*C was the max internal core temp or something to that effect. I'm just curious since I've never really modified a computer before other than vidcards and I'd hate to smoke an expensive part. Also, it didn't seem that there was any slop in the cooler when I tried to rock it a little. It seems pretty tight to me.

Just a quick question, after loading up realtemp it says my processor is running at 2.0ghz or something like that. It says a clock of 333 and a multiplyer of 6x (it should be 333 at 10X for 3.33ghz). Does this mean somethings not right with the processor or just a glitch in the software? I tried to go into bios and mess with the settings (bios says 333 at 10X) to do some overclocking but I can't highlight those numbers to change them. Will I need to get another bios that alows those changes? Thanks for the help.

Stretch

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Masscool is not the company it used to be, I'd recommend looking into an Arctic Cooling 7 HSF (about $25), it will run circles around anything Masscool has now. Or look into a Xigmatek with the backplate (I hate Intel's pushpin crap).

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
The difference in multiplier is called EIST (aka Speedstep). It's a way of the processor saving energy when at low work load, so no need to worry about it. If you are concerned it can usually be disabled in BIOS.

E8600 max Tcase temp is 72.4 degrees C so you're well inside your limits. May be worth rereading the instructions to see what they say. Here's some reading if it will put your mind at ease:
http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLB9L#

I don't know the mass cool specifically, but it's not uncommon for new coolers to have thermal paste already applied. Did it have a greyish layer on the bottom when you got it?

Although i said that its performance will increase over a couple of weeks you're unlikely to get an improvement of more than 1 or 2 degrees at idle and 3 - 5 degrees at load.
In all honesty, i'd go to whatever component retailer you normally use, get some TIM Cleaner and a tube of AS5, remove your cooler and start again. Check the manufacturers website for instructions on application.

Fruity

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Toms forums seem to be playing up and i can't now edit my last post. nevermind.
What motherboard are you using?

Take off the cooler, clean off ALL the old paste (from both sides) with 91% isopropyll alcohol (available from your local drugstore, grocery, or chemist). Then apply a tiny amount of the new paste. I use my finger IN A PLASTIC BAG to spread it as thinly as possible over the top of the CPU before mounting the cooler.