Sign in with
Your question

[Advice] Power supply strong enough?

Last response: in Components
July 6, 2008 8:26:22 PM

Hey guys, first off I would really like to avoid getting a new power supply if it's at all possible.

I currently have three power supplies the one that came with the computer originally (300 watt ), one that came with a bare bone I built a while back(400 watt) and a thermal take (430 watts). Those are the ones I can pick between, but would like to stick with the 400 watt one as it's the one currently in the PC.

- bare bone one. ( 400 watts )
- Thermal Take ( 430 watts)

The first one is the one currently in the PC while the Thermal Take is in another PC and I'd rather not have to swap them around. Unless I have to of course.

I just recently bought a new EVGA 512 8800GT (overclocked) and it said the minimum suggested requirements is a 400 watt power supply. Obviously I hope to get the most out of it, so I'm not sure if either of the power supplies I currently have will be large enough, or if it would be a good idea to say plug the video card directly into the 400 watt power supply, and use the 300 watt power supply for the rest of the computer, or what.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-a1250n-athlon/4507-3118_7-31533898.html
- This is the actual computer I have. I've swapped out the ram for 2 gigs of corsair , other then that there is nothing new to it. ( All though my keyboard, mouse and an external USB drive are all hooked up to it via USB )

So what do you guys think? How could I do this without having to invest into a new PSU? :( 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130319 - The Video card
July 6, 2008 8:52:17 PM

By specs, the first bare bone psu is stronger than second one. It should be enough.
July 6, 2008 8:55:09 PM

I highly recommend the Thermaltake. That powersupply offers a 5 year warranty I believe and it is also a brand name. That 8800gt will be fine with either one by far.
Related resources
July 6, 2008 8:58:43 PM

zloginet said:
I highly recommend the Thermaltake. That powersupply offers a 5 year warranty I believe and it is also a brand name. That 8800gt will be fine with either one by far.

The problem is 18 amps on a single 12v rail may not be enough, brand name aside. A tractor made by BMW is still just a tractor.
July 6, 2008 9:20:35 PM

Thanks for the advice Dagger. It's what I wanted to hear and hopefully it's correct. :p 

I got the card shipped via the UPS 2 night option so hopefully it'll be here Tuesday some time so I can put it in and see what happens. =x
a b ) Power supply
July 6, 2008 9:22:46 PM

Dagger is right IMO. Stick with the 400W one, it's stronger than the other one. Not a lot more, mind you, it looks like 230W/12V i.e. 19A instead of 18A, but still better.

IIRC nVidia recommends 22A for systems with an 8800GT. If you have a single HDD and not many lights and fans you might be fine anyway. You'd better invest in a new PSU when you can. Even if the one you have works, it's a bad idea to push it so close to max.
July 7, 2008 1:37:56 PM

I have a question related to Aethix's problem.

I recently bought an antec basiq 500w dual rail psu. It has 18 amps on both the 12v rails. I was wondering if this would be enough to run a card from the 8800 series.

And looking at how my psu has a lil more wattage, yours might need to be upgraded ~ Im not even sure if my psu can handle it. (this is to Aethix xD)
July 7, 2008 1:41:31 PM

relating to your 8800 you can check the box or the booklet that came with it and the info is almost always in one of those two locations if not well thats what google and these forums are for
July 8, 2008 12:14:43 AM

icecold2974 said:
I have a question related to Aethix's problem.

I recently bought an antec basiq 500w dual rail psu. It has 18 amps on both the 12v rails. I was wondering if this would be enough to run a card from the 8800 series.

And looking at how my psu has a lil more wattage, yours might need to be upgraded ~ Im not even sure if my psu can handle it. (this is to Aethix xD)

It's enough.
July 9, 2008 12:53:25 AM

So I just got my new card installed it and everything has booted up fine. I'm installing the drivers right now so that I can test it out. What are some things to look for to make sure it's working properly? The computer has three fans ( including the one on the video card and all three are working. Anything else to check for?
July 9, 2008 12:55:50 AM

aethix said:
So I just got my new card installed it and everything has booted up fine. I'm installing the drivers right now so that I can test it out. What are some things to look for to make sure it's working properly? The computer has three fans ( including the one on the video card and all three are working. Anything else to check for?

Stress test:
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
July 9, 2008 1:07:39 AM

Thanks a lot dagger. You're awesome! Did great with stability and well with benchmarks. Time to go test it out on some games! :) 
!