WD 2TB External HD, MBR, Delayed write file

mudshark6412

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Hello,

Ive done alot of research and still haven't come up with a solution. I recently picked up a new WD 2TB External HD. After getting it about half full, I started getting "delayed write file" errors and now can't even access the disc. It shows up as "local disk" in my computer and when i try to go in, the whole computer bogs down and im not able to access the disk.

Im running a fresh install of windows vista 32bit. USB ports all work fine with other devices and external drives. This WD hard drive has the same issues on XP machines as well. Im really only looking to get about 20 gigs of stuff off, the rest of the data I can re-populate. I believe its a problem with the MBR, and i'm wondering if theres any way to recreate or fix it without having to format the whole drive?

Sometimes replacing the USB cable fixes it. Have a PC ? - Hook it up as internal Secondary drive - Don't forget to set Jumper Pins.

mudshark6412

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Well the drive is only a month old and still under warranty so I don't want to go tearing it open. Im wondering if theres a way to re-create the MBR instead of having to format and start over. It has a different type of USB cable, and I don't have another like it, seems to work fine as far as I can tell. Worked fine for about a month. I think the problem is from not safely removing before ejecting, it happened a few times.

Its powered through the USB and the computer recognizes it when I plug it in, sees it as a USB mass storage device and as a WD Passport, but I can't browse through the disk and when I plug it in theres no "autoplay", just a ding when you connect.

I have seen one other issue with the 2tb WD drive acting up when approximately 1tb is used.
The solution was to upgrade the Nvidia 680i chipset drivers, available in an update package from Nvidia, not through Microsoft's normal driver and OS updating pages.
This is a confusing problem to solve since it appeared to be due to either hard drive problems or perhaps a Vista problem. In reality, you need to update the SATA controller driver, which in my case is the Nvidia nForce 680i driver. Nvidia even has a web page with a script that will scan your PC and tell you what drivers you need to update, both for the GPU and for their nForce chipset SATA hard drive controller.
Hope this helps you out ! :wahoo:

Afterthought: The drive may not have formatted correctly past 1TB. Easeus Partition Master Home Edition will format it entirely.