Newbie with Firewire, HDTV Tuner question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 28, 2005 11:56:30 PM

Hey all,

I've been trying to do a bit of research here, and I just keep on g etting
more and more confused, so maby someone can help me out..

1)I want to watch Digital TV on my PC and turn it into an HDTV.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 8300, gotten 2 years ago, so it's pretty state of
the art still, and has an AIW 9600 XT video card...

So I bought the Fusion 5 ATSC/QAM tuner. Before I bought it, I knew that
it could only receive unscrambled signal channels. But I would be fine with
this so long as it would allow me to receive GameShow Network, wich is now a
digital channel on 88.

2)I then did more research, and found that the only way you could get true
HD is if you install a firewire card to your PC, and ge ta fire wire HD box
from the cable company and hook that into the Fire wire card.

So, here's the question set..

Is my info above correct? If so, how does hooking the cable box to the
firewire card interact with the HDTV Tuner card and allow you to receive
digital channels?

Also, can anyone recomend a good, under $250's set top box with cable card
slot that will allow me to receive all my IO channels without having to pay
cablevision an extra 10-15$'s a month for their set top box? Our cable bill
is already in the $70 range.

Thanks!
Neil
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:14:05 AM

Shredder wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've been trying to do a bit of research here, and I just keep on g etting
> more and more confused, so maby someone can help me out..
>
> 1)I want to watch Digital TV on my PC and turn it into an HDTV.
>
> My PC is a Dell Dimension 8300, gotten 2 years ago, so it's pretty state of
> the art still, and has an AIW 9600 XT video card...
>
> So I bought the Fusion 5 ATSC/QAM tuner. Before I bought it, I knew that
> it could only receive unscrambled signal channels. But I would be fine with
> this so long as it would allow me to receive GameShow Network, wich is now a
> digital channel on 88.
>
> 2)I then did more research, and found that the only way you could get true
> HD is if you install a firewire card to your PC, and ge ta fire wire HD box
> from the cable company and hook that into the Fire wire card.
>
> So, here's the question set..
>
> Is my info above correct? If so, how does hooking the cable box to the
> firewire card interact with the HDTV Tuner card and allow you to receive
> digital channels?
>
> Also, can anyone recomend a good, under $250's set top box with cable card
> slot that will allow me to receive all my IO channels without having to pay
> cablevision an extra 10-15$'s a month for their set top box? Our cable bill
> is already in the $70 range.
>
> Thanks!
> Neil

The Fusion 5 card is capable of displaying true HD (720P/1080i). That
is if your cable co is passing the HD programming unencrypted. The
Fusion card will aldo decode ota (ATSC) signals and provide HD viewing.
Of course, the Fusion card also will decode all unencrypted SD
channels (Game Show Network).

Yes you can get a firewire card for your PC and use the firewire on the
Cable STB, if it is active. This will very much depend upon what cable
co and what STB.
August 29, 2005 4:43:07 AM

Thanks for the quick answer..

The cable company is Cable Vision and the set top box is a scientific
Atlanta 4200HD Explorer.

I was thinking of upgrading it to the latest 8300HD assuming they are out
already.

"Brad Cobb" <brcobb@excites.com> wrote in message
> Shredder wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I've been trying to do a bit of research here, and I just keep on g
>> etting more and more confused, so maby someone can help me out..
>>
>> 1)I want to watch Digital TV on my PC and turn it into an HDTV.
>>
>> My PC is a Dell Dimension 8300, gotten 2 years ago, so it's pretty state
>> of the art still, and has an AIW 9600 XT video card...
>>
>> So I bought the Fusion 5 ATSC/QAM tuner. Before I bought it, I knew
>> that it could only receive unscrambled signal channels. But I would be
>> fine with this so long as it would allow me to receive GameShow Network,
>> wich is now a digital channel on 88.
>>
>> 2)I then did more research, and found that the only way you could get
>> true HD is if you install a firewire card to your PC, and ge ta fire
>> wire HD box from the cable company and hook that into the Fire wire card.
>>
>> So, here's the question set..
>>
>> Is my info above correct? If so, how does hooking the cable box to the
>> firewire card interact with the HDTV Tuner card and allow you to receive
>> digital channels?
>>
>> Also, can anyone recomend a good, under $250's set top box with cable
>> card slot that will allow me to receive all my IO channels without having
>> to pay cablevision an extra 10-15$'s a month for their set top box? Our
>> cable bill is already in the $70 range.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Neil
>
> The Fusion 5 card is capable of displaying true HD (720P/1080i). That is
> if your cable co is passing the HD programming unencrypted. The Fusion
> card will aldo decode ota (ATSC) signals and provide HD viewing. Of
> course, the Fusion card also will decode all unencrypted SD channels (Game
> Show Network).
>
> Yes you can get a firewire card for your PC and use the firewire on the
> Cable STB, if it is active. This will very much depend upon what cable co
> and what STB.
August 29, 2005 4:43:08 AM

I have the 8300HD with Adelphia. The firewire ports on the 8300HD are
not active yet. They may be active on the 4200HD. I know they are
active on the 3250HD.

Shredder wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer..
>
> The cable company is Cable Vision and the set top box is a scientific
> Atlanta 4200HD Explorer.
>
> I was thinking of upgrading it to the latest 8300HD assuming they are out
> already.
>

> "Brad Cobb" <brcobb@excites.com> wrote in message
>
>>Shredder wrote:
>>
>>>Hey all,
>>>
>>>I've been trying to do a bit of research here, and I just keep on g
>>>etting more and more confused, so maby someone can help me out..
>>>
>>>1)I want to watch Digital TV on my PC and turn it into an HDTV.
>>>
>>>My PC is a Dell Dimension 8300, gotten 2 years ago, so it's pretty state
>>>of the art still, and has an AIW 9600 XT video card...
>>>
>>> So I bought the Fusion 5 ATSC/QAM tuner. Before I bought it, I knew
>>>that it could only receive unscrambled signal channels. But I would be
>>>fine with this so long as it would allow me to receive GameShow Network,
>>>wich is now a digital channel on 88.
>>>
>>>2)I then did more research, and found that the only way you could get
>>>true HD is if you install a firewire card to your PC, and ge ta fire
>>>wire HD box from the cable company and hook that into the Fire wire card.
>>>
>>>So, here's the question set..
>>>
>>>Is my info above correct? If so, how does hooking the cable box to the
>>>firewire card interact with the HDTV Tuner card and allow you to receive
>>>digital channels?
>>>
>>>Also, can anyone recomend a good, under $250's set top box with cable
>>>card slot that will allow me to receive all my IO channels without having
>>>to pay cablevision an extra 10-15$'s a month for their set top box? Our
>>>cable bill is already in the $70 range.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>Neil
>>
>>The Fusion 5 card is capable of displaying true HD (720P/1080i). That is
>>if your cable co is passing the HD programming unencrypted. The Fusion
>>card will aldo decode ota (ATSC) signals and provide HD viewing. Of
>>course, the Fusion card also will decode all unencrypted SD channels (Game
>>Show Network).
>>
>>Yes you can get a firewire card for your PC and use the firewire on the
>>Cable STB, if it is active. This will very much depend upon what cable co
>>and what STB.

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:12:13 AM

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 19:56:30 GMT, "Shredder" <Nvitale565@aol.com>
wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>I've been trying to do a bit of research here, and I just keep on g etting
>more and more confused, so maby someone can help me out..
>
>1)I want to watch Digital TV on my PC and turn it into an HDTV.
>
>My PC is a Dell Dimension 8300, gotten 2 years ago, so it's pretty state of
>the art still, and has an AIW 9600 XT video card...
>
> So I bought the Fusion 5 ATSC/QAM tuner. Before I bought it, I knew that
>it could only receive unscrambled signal channels. But I would be fine with
>this so long as it would allow me to receive GameShow Network, wich is now a
>digital channel on 88.
>
>2)I then did more research, and found that the only way you could get true
>HD is if you install a firewire card to your PC, and ge ta fire wire HD box
>from the cable company and hook that into the Fire wire card.
>
>So, here's the question set..
>
>Is my info above correct? If so, how does hooking the cable box to the
>firewire card interact with the HDTV Tuner card and allow you to receive
>digital channels?
>
>Also, can anyone recomend a good, under $250's set top box with cable card
>slot that will allow me to receive all my IO channels without having to pay
>cablevision an extra 10-15$'s a month for their set top box? Our cable bill
>is already in the $70 range.
>
>Thanks!
>Neil

Cablevision charges me $4.95 per month for my extra SA4200HD box with
or without firewire. The remote is $0.29 and there is a addl. set
premium fee of $1.50 if you have premium service. It would take over 4
years to recoup your maybe out-dated stb you purchase.
September 2, 2005 5:14:23 AM

I've been playing around with my HDTV tuner and I've been able to receive
about 15 digital channels. Mostly local and spansish channels...

Now, with firewire, how is that setup? I run a firewire to the firewire
port. Then what? Also, if I t urn the box off, and try to tune in the
channels manually using the tuner software, would I be able to receive them?

Thanks
Anonymous
September 2, 2005 8:28:59 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 01:14:23 GMT, "Shredder" <nvitale565@aol.com>
wrote:

>I've been playing around with my HDTV tuner and I've been able to receive
>about 15 digital channels. Mostly local and spansish channels...
>
>Now, with firewire, how is that setup? I run a firewire to the firewire
>port. Then what? Also, if I t urn the box off, and try to tune in the
>channels manually using the tuner software, would I be able to receive them?
>
>Thanks

More than I know at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=403695&...
!