Sounds only comes out of L/R Channels of my 5.1 Speakers

visorneon

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008
Sorry if this isnt the right place but i couldnt find a place that fully suited it

I am having a problem that applications do not use the center or rear left/right speakers of my setup, when i play a song from itunes, media player or play a film in vlc, the sound only comes from the left and right speakers.
I have gone through the vista sound manager, checked that all the speakers work, and they do, when i test them i hear the sound from every speaker clearly, but in applications i do not.

Now i found a way of getting them to run in 5.1 (enabling the soundmax black hawk sound effects) however this makes the sound very tinny and horrible compared, and ive tried changing all the settings in this soundmax blackhawk and it just sounds the same, very bad quality

If anyone has any information i would be very very grateful as it is aggrovating!

Incase it helps im using:
Windows Vista Ultimate 64
Asus P5Q-E Motherboard
--> Soundmax HD Audio Driver 6.1 (the latest one)
Intel Q6600 3.2ghz

You have to set VLC to output 6 channels. assuming its a 6+ channel source. VLC likes to default to 2 channel.

Songs from itunes have 2 channels, left and right. Why would you expect them to play from all the channels?