Sign in with
Your question

Hard drive (SATA) with operating system converted to external usb

Last response: in Storage
September 4, 2009 12:00:19 AM

my computer crashed so i am borrowing a friend's mini dell computer. i needed to get my itunes music off my hard drive with xp operating system so i used a sata to usb converter. when i plug it in it is shown in my computer but when i click on my drive it says disk is not formatted do you want to format of course i clicked no. why is this happening and how can i get my music.
a b G Storage
September 4, 2009 6:15:55 AM

There could be something wrong with the converter. Have you tried plugging in your hard disk directly into your friend's computer's SATA?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
September 4, 2009 6:07:50 PM

This isn't a drive from a RAID volume by any chance is it? If so, you'll need another computer with the same RAID subsystem in order to access the drive.
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2009 12:21:49 AM

r_manic said:
There could be something wrong with the converter. Have you tried plugging in your hard disk directly into your friend's computer's SATA?

thanks for the prompt response. The computer i am using is a mini-dell computer and i don't know if i can swap the drives. i will be asking a friend if i could usa their desktop computer and swap the drives.
m
l
September 9, 2009 12:23:12 AM

sminlal said:
This isn't a drive from a RAID volume by any chance is it? If so, you'll need another computer with the same RAID subsystem in order to access the drive.

Thank you too for the fast response. No.
m
l
!