Nehalem and motherboards

will Nehalem be able to run on older boards that already support ddr3 like the GIGABYTE GA-X48T-DQ6 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128330

or would i have to upgrade my motherboard to upgrade the CPU?
7 answers Last reply
More about nehalem motherboards
  1. It will be different socket so You will need to get a new board
  2. Nehalem is going to have 1366 pins, try fitting that into a socket 775 LOL.
  3. but LGA775 prices will inevitably drop soooo...YAY!
  4. You will need a new motherboard.

Not only will Nehalem have a very different socket, but it will have an integrated memory controller, unlike current architectures. On pre-Nehalem Intel, the memory controller is in the northbridge chip (that X48 chip, in this case).
  5. lol can't go a day with out seeing the word "Nehalem" on the forums!!!!! Just joking but its true :). Can't wait till the day I get one these babies! It going be a long (around 2-3 years) wait for affordable prices but will be well worth the wait!

michael d said:
    will Nehalem be able to run on older boards that already support ddr3 like the GIGABYTE GA-X48T-DQ6 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128330

or would i have to upgrade my motherboard to upgrade the CPU?

Nehalem chips only use Nehalem motherboards and vise visa. Nehalem is a new architecture (species) of computer technology. Don't think anything pre existing of Nehalem technology will be compatible with Nehalem like the x86 and x64 (older chips/mobos) architecture. Goodbye FSB :).

How can you OC without a FSB? ^ . ^
  6. liljone said:

you crank up the voltages and pray real hard :T

haha jk
  7. liljone said:

You increase the Quickpath base frequency. The CPU will be an multiple of this base frequency as well, so overclocking that base frequency will increase both the memory frequency and the cpu frequency. That's my understanding at least. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards Nehalem Product