Sign in with
Your question

Nehalem is coming =D

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2008 1:00:33 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-x58-nehalem,5829...

very neat... glad to know something about the elusive nehalem

More about : nehalem coming

July 7, 2008 1:11:17 AM

How do you overclock with out a Front Side Bus? Beside more voltage.

Will Nehalem kill OCing?

Related resources
July 7, 2008 1:14:49 AM

sweet :p 
July 7, 2008 1:17:03 AM

liljone said:

Will Nehalem kill OCing?

No, I read an article that Intel will be embracing OCing with Nehalm.
We will just have to wait to see the exact options as details are released.
July 7, 2008 1:26:51 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
AMD processors have an IMC and you can OC them.

They don't oc nearly as well though. :p 
July 7, 2008 1:31:54 AM

dagger said:
They don't oc nearly as well though. :p 

LOL, yeah, but that has to do with non-existent headroom, not the IMC. Even the many of the BE's with unlocked multipliers don't OC very far.

I'm look forward to Nehalem. I've been holding out on my S939 Opty 175 for a long time now. I think my next system will be an Nahalem, unless AMD can get its act together.
July 7, 2008 2:01:29 AM

Nehalem will be interesting to see how to overclock it.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2008 2:13:43 AM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
LOL, yeah, but that has to do with non-existent headroom, not the IMC. Even the many of the BE's with unlocked multipliers don't OC very far.

I'm look forward to Nehalem. I've been holding out on my S939 Opty 175 for a long time now. I think my next system will be an Nahalem, unless AMD can get its act together.

I think it'll remain as low-mid range until it does another 48xx again, which won't be soon as Deneb is only a little more than a die shrink. It might OC better tho...
a c 127 à CPUs
July 7, 2008 3:58:38 PM

liljone said:

Will Nehalem kill OCing?

Look at the CPU-Z screenie. See that 133??? You can raise that. But thats only to OC the CPU frequency to a higher speed. In order to OC the memory link you will need to OC the QuickPath and thats a whole different story. It has its own bus speed and voltage too.

You will need to learn a whole new way to OC with Nehalem. But it shall be fun. New stuff always is.
July 7, 2008 4:07:38 PM

Give me OC'ing or give me FSB... err death.

Wait.. I am FSB.. err dead :cry: 
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2008 4:09:50 PM

Hey wasn't that an excellent article guys !!

I was really impressed with the two screen shots and the vacuum.

The Inq or Fudzilla could have done better ... in their sleep.

BoM ... what are you doing ???

What ... so Anand throws out something three weeks ago and you come up with this??

Jeez ...

July 7, 2008 4:17:15 PM

Reynod said:
Hey wasn't that an excellent article guys !!

I was really impressed with the two screen shots and the vacuum.

The Inq or Fudzilla could have done better ... in their sleep.

BoM ... what are you doing ???

What ... so Anand throws out something three weeks ago and you come up with this??

Jeez ...

Agreed, that article was pretty useless.
July 7, 2008 5:04:35 PM

I agree that the article doesn't say much more than what we already knew, but it's not bad like the Inq or Fudzilla, because they aren't making performance claims, just presenting raw, albiet old news, facts about it.
July 7, 2008 6:27:50 PM

I am a bit concerned about the reports of the very slight edge Nehalem seems to have on a roughly equivalent Core 2 in single threaded apps. It would seem to me that Nehalem should blow away a C2 even in single threads. Can anyone shed some light on that?
July 7, 2008 6:32:37 PM

Judging by the very little information I've seen, Nehalem isn't a whole lot faster than a core2 in single threaded apps. The IMC and hyperthreading are the major changes in the new architecture and neither one is going to do a whole lot to help out most single threaded desktop applications.
July 7, 2008 6:34:04 PM

But what about the sheer processing power? Or is Nehalem just a C2 reworked with the IMC, Hyperthreading and more pins? I'm confused. :( 
July 7, 2008 6:41:54 PM

antonmadcow said:
But what about the sheer processing power? Or is Nehalem just a C2 reworked with the IMC, Hyperthreading and more pins? I'm confused. :( 

Some comparisons I've seen on the web (forget which site, might even have been here) showed it around 20% faster, clock per clock. But I guess we'll have to wait for Intel to drop the NDAs before we find out for sure.

I think people would be pretty disappointed if it's not at least that much faster than a Core 2, given that clock speeds won't increase by much.
July 7, 2008 6:58:23 PM

From anand's review ( http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx... )

Quote:
Cinebench shows us only a 2% increase in core-to-core performance from Penryn to Nehalem at the same clock speed. For applications that don't go out to main memory much and can stay confined to a single core, Nehalem behaves very much like Penryn. Remember that outside of the memory architecture and HT tweaks to the core, Nehalem's list of improvements are very specific (e.g. faster unaligned cache accesses).
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2008 12:56:04 AM

antonmadcow said:

It's about the same concept as K7 to K8...
July 8, 2008 1:55:53 AM

it should be faster than the core 2 line, hopefully this will push the developers to develop more for quads since nehalem intends to release quads, octo, etc.
July 15, 2008 12:29:26 AM

Yeah, but apparently Beckton is the only octocore and it's destined to quad socket motherboards... a bit out of the mainstream enthusiast and gamer line... unless you're really filthy rich!
a b à CPUs
July 15, 2008 1:14:45 AM

I bet there will be home octo cores with the 32nm shrink. I'd be somewhat surprised before that though.
July 15, 2008 11:51:29 PM

A Westmere Octo... aaaaah... wouldn't that be one sweet chip?
July 16, 2008 3:43:05 AM

I want 8 gigs of L2 cache.
!