Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8800GT sli or 9800GX2?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 15, 2008 9:26:48 AM

hello all. im getting a new computer soon and as the title states, im having a problem deciding between the 8800GT sli or 9800gx2. i'll be running my games at 19x12 on a 24" monitor. ive heard that the 9800gx2 generally performs better at higher resolutions. i dont upgrade video cards very often so i guess my real concern is whether the 8800GT sli will be able to handle the games that come out for the next couple of years. i would think that the 9800gx2 will be able to handle future games, given the option to add a second card as well. i guess im trying to decide whether the 8800 is as futureproof as the 9800.

system specs:
Q6600
nvidia 790i motherboard
winVISTA
1k PSU
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM

thanks all!

More about : 8800gt sli 9800gx2

June 15, 2008 9:55:52 AM

well a 9800gx2 is 2x 8800gts in sli any way

so you should see a similar performance (9800gx2 should be a little bit better )

the 9800gx2 would be a better option because you could run more than 1 monitor unlike sli and you could use any mobo and you would get better performance
a b U Graphics card
June 15, 2008 11:04:39 AM

butcher said:
well a 9800gx2 is 2x 8800gts in sli any way

so you should see a similar performance (9800gx2 should be a little bit better )

the 9800gx2 would be a better option because you could run more than 1 monitor unlike sli and you could use any mobo and you would get better performance



Nah. The 9800gx2 is basically two 9800 cores and memory cramped together on one card. The result? One PCI-E port intstead of two means half the bandwidth of a SLI configuration. (well, in theory)

This is why the guys here are nice enough to put together this every month:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-cards,1942...


In short: 2x8800gt or even 9600gt/3870 in sli wins!
Related resources
June 15, 2008 11:29:11 AM

Do you even look at benchmarks?

9600 and 8800 GT are just over the Ultra in benchmarks. (well 8800 GT is a bit more over).

Think of it like this the 9800 GX2 is like 2 9800 GTXs downclocked, in most cases the GX2 matches 2 GTXs or is just 5-7frames under it.

June 15, 2008 11:32:48 AM

cobot said:
Nah. The 9800gx2 is basically two 9800 cores and memory cramped together on one card. The result? One PCI-E port intstead of two means half the bandwidth of a SLI configuration. (well, in theory)

This is why the guys here are nice enough to put together this every month:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-cards,1942...


In short: 2x8800gt or even 9600gt/3870 in sli wins!



the gx2 marginally outperforms 8800 GT SLI and there is a larger margin between 9600gt and 3870hd and the gx2 still

Yea, it wins on price per dollar, but thats not the point I guess. I use 8800 GT SLI myself, I didn't feel the gx2 was worth it.
June 15, 2008 11:37:18 AM

I'll agree with that^ 600+ not worth the card, if you can find it cheaper, it saves you room and gives you quad option.

When I bought mine I paid 500$ exactly and came out even at the time, when 2 8800 GTS G92 were around 229.99-249.99. I would rather have the extra sli PCI slot.

The GX2 remains the number 1 choice for users with out an Sli board, no card matches it at that, atleast so far.

EDIT: in my opinion wait for 2 weeks and see what the competition dishes out, there are rumours I heard from my friend (who owns a computer store) that the GX2 will go down to around 300$, so I'd wait. Buy a crappy 8400 GS if you don't have a card and just wait:p 
June 15, 2008 6:34:54 PM

thanks for the replies guys. i think im gonna go with the 9800gx2. im getting the card for $400 which i think isnt that bad of a deal. also, with the new cards coming out soon, im hoping the 9800gx2 will drop down in price within the next few months. quad sli dosent sound too bad. :) 
June 15, 2008 7:18:13 PM

bigwatch said:
thanks for the replies guys. i think im gonna go with the 9800gx2. im getting the card for $400 which i think isnt that bad of a deal. also, with the new cards coming out soon, im hoping the 9800gx2 will drop down in price within the next few months. quad sli dosent sound too bad. :) 

Wait lil bit and you'll get better price
June 15, 2008 8:09:34 PM

8800gt sli costs 320 btw. comes with 2 copies of coh too.
June 16, 2008 2:42:40 AM

Actually you can get SLI 88GT for under $250USD after MIR. No contest in terms of value IMO. The 98x2 may outperform the 88GT pair in some synthetics, but in real world application, those synthetics don't amount to a meaningful difference. IMO, by the time the price of a 98x2 actually drops to a price point anyone will consider "cheap", it'll be hopelessly outdated and no one would want to drop in a second card at that point.
June 16, 2008 3:15:46 AM

actually the GX2 outperforms the GT in every ingame setting, the only 1that it lagged behind was Crysis for some reason, and it made up for it at 1080p.

There are rumours that the GX2 will drop to 300$ thats a bargain for users that wat 2 9800 GTXs in 1 (ofc slightly downclocked for the pppl that take it too literal).
!