can anyone tell me please where I can find a prog. that will help identify
the names of the programmes that show up in msconfig/startup. all this
shows is part of the command. it would be a lot easier to know what
programme they come from as it would help if I wanted to uncheck one,
thanks. hope this is clear

I don't know of a specific program but this site should help
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
The list is exhaustive so use the sites search box to do a search for the
names you see in msconfig and taskmanager

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"penny" <pennyt1@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> can anyone tell me please where I can find a prog. that will help identify
> the names of the programmes that show up in msconfig/startup. all this
> shows is part of the command. it would be a lot easier to know what
> programme they come from as it would help if I wanted to uncheck one,
> thanks. hope this is clear

Click any entry in the column where you only see part of the command and
then hold down the Control key while you press the plus key on the number
pad.

The window is also resizable.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"penny" <pennyt1@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> can anyone tell me please where I can find a prog. that will help identify
> the names of the programmes that show up in msconfig/startup. all this
> shows is part of the command. it would be a lot easier to know what
> programme they come from as it would help if I wanted to uncheck one,
> thanks. hope this is clear

Try msinfo32for a different view.

Start-Run-msinfo32
Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
Click Startup Programs

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems