Is my power supply sufficient?

hot_fats

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Hello all,

I currently have the current peripherals running with a Silverstone 560 W PSU.

GRAPHICS : HIS ATI 2900 XT
Keyboard : Logitech G15
Mouse : Logitech G9
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU : cORE 2 Duo E660
HD : 2 times 25O GB Seagate
DVD ROM
DVD Writer
Memory : 4 times 1024 mb Patriot

Is my Power supply enough to run without damaging my equipment as I have experienced this before with an earlier PC of mine?..Please help as I fear something my go up in smoke.:

Regards,

hot_fats

hot_fats

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks a lot all...I was afraid the Graphic card would consume a great deal of power. Does anyone have any recommendations for heat dissipation besides Fans. I think my casing maxed out at 4 12mm fans. I already have a pretty good heat sink for the CPU too...Still gets really warm inside however

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
12mm is a pretty small fan, I think you mean 12cm (120mm)

That should be fine the 2900 isn't a very powerful card and doesn't produce that much heat.

hot_fats

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Oops, yep that is what I meant...I only have 4 in my Gigabyte Aurora casing...Still hot though....Does cooling liquid help at all..never tried it?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007

That case has very good cooling I wonder what your idea of hot is. Right now with my CPU overclocked to 3.5ghz running Orthos my CPU is ~44c and I have a 8800GT pumping heat into my case, I would say that if you are having trouble with high temp then you might just want to look into a better CPU cooler. Since that case can fit 3 120mm fans I'm assuming the fourth your talking about is your CPU fan correct? I'm not sure how much air the fans that came with the case move but you might want to think about upgrading them. The point is that your case has very good cooling and nothing in your system is very high end or produces a lot of heat so if you feel your having trouble keeping things cool then you need to look at your fans.

Water cooling is very expensive to do correctly, if you have the time and money then it will reduce temps but it's only really useful for high overclocks where you need to dissipate large amounts of heat. A system like your is fine with good air cooling.

hot_fats

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for that reply..It is helpful as I was a bit paronoid at first,

It was a big investement for me last year, and I want to give over clocking a shot before I upgrade this year..

...True I do not think I can invest in a water cooling system...I checked my bios for temperatures and they seem to be normal...