New overclock pentium d, asus, corsair

GhostFace

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Hello
I have just joined your forums as I found myself getting most of my information from here anyway. I am familier with performing an oc but have not tried it at any level beyond extreme basic. Just ordered the old asus p5wd2 premium mobo. I know there are alot of mixed feelings about this board but its already been ordered. I am using a pentium d processor (950) and 8gb (4x2gb) corsair dominator 1066 ddr2 with the optional cooling fan. I am liquid cooling the north bridge as well as the cpu with a modified thermaltake tribe that I hope to have two full functioning radiators installed within. I have a 600 watt psu , a modest 3400 series ati graphics car to support my hd... dont do a whole lot of gaming at this time, although, I would like to try out some to see the capability of the system when I am finished. WDC 320gb hdd and wd 80gb hdd ide with raid controller in a jbod configuration. LG dvd rw light scribe and soon will add a sony bd player. I am also using a apevia x cruiser case. All of these things are already purchased and in the mail. Does anybody have any insight on how they think it will perform or any suggestions they have to my setup to increase my potential.
I know the asus mobo and 955i chipset only will support up to 800 mhz on the ram, however, if I run the dominator will it accept it and post? I am under the impression that I can try to squeeze some extra mhz out of the ram when I overclock it.. is that true? I am more than willing to set this rig on fire with my benchmarking, thats why I am doing it. I am having more fun trying to figure out what to build rather than using it perhaps.

Thanks for any advice and opinions you may offer. You guys are great.

XMSYellowbeard

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The problem for OCing is going to be getting more FSB speed with 4 modules. You need to check your BIOS and see if it allows you to adjust the memory controller voltage. On this board with the CPU you have, I'd suggest clocking with a 1:1 ratio as you are not likely going to get a high memory speed using a divider since you do have 4 modules.

GhostFace

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

I did not really think of that ... I know the asus board will will allow 8 step voltage adjustments to the dimm. Right now the FSB speed is 1066 but it only advertises support of 800mhz ddr2 240 dimm. I have heard of people clocking 1066 barely stable with a couple of sticks but never with four mods. I was planning on exploiting the pentium d for all it had and then moving on to bigger and better things. I am not worried about thermal melt down much. What should I upgrade the pentium d with if I am not successful to try and exploit all 8gigs of ram? The only thing I would not invest in is the quad extreme or the i7. I prefer the underdog and the extreme is not even close unless you are comparing it to the I7 and that will be my next project. Figured I may let a couple manufacturers add a few more mobos to the lineup first before taking that route. Most Def want to push this 950 d though before I move on.
I think I could probably use a lesson on ratios and dividers as this is a very weak subject for me.