Sign in with
Your question

Old Intel P4 socket 478 CPU upgrade question !!!

Last response: in CPUs
July 7, 2008 8:04:34 AM

Hi guys. I have an old Asus P4 socket 478 motherboard and i'm planning to do an upgrade for the CPU. My current CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 2.6mhz single core. I found a 3.0mhz CPU on Newegg.com and im wondering if it compatible with my motherboard.

Here's the CPU that i'm looking at : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027

btw what's bus speed ? I checked my motherboard spec and it said my CPU socket front side bus speed is 533/400 mhz but the speed on that Prescott 3.0mhz CPU is 800 mhz. Does that mean it's too fast for my socket configuration ?

The reason im upgrading is because i think my current 2.6mhz CPU is bottlenecking my Radeon x1950 pro agp 8x. I just want to keep this old system for a little bit longer. This will be my last upgrade until i can save up enough money for a brand new system in the futre.

So do you think that CPU will work on my motherboard ?
July 7, 2008 8:19:33 AM

if i am not wrong i think it is not compatible
July 7, 2008 8:20:21 AM

We can not tell, for certain, without knowing what mobo you actually have. You can usually find the Asus model and rev by looking between the bottom two PCI slots.
I would guess that your board probably wont support prescott chips. They require a lot more power than the old northwood chips.
It isn't much of an upgrade anyhow. While the prescott runs faster, and has more cache, it has a lot more pipelines, which tend to ofset the other gains.
Related resources
July 7, 2008 8:28:30 AM

I used to own the same cpu as yours. And bad news is, the new cpu wont fit in your current socket!! If your gpu is also aging, I recommend to do a cpu+mobo+ram upgrade. I know your short of cash. But amd offers a good upgrade path for around 150$. You will also get more money if you sell a mobo+cpu+ram combo instead of selling them one by one. Lets say you get 50$ for these parts. So you would need 100$ for your upgrade. Heres what I recommend you:
AMD 780G mobo(get the cheapest one from a reputed company) Eg: the gigabyte mobos are going for around 80$
AMD 4200+ X2 should be around 50$
Ram you can find easily for around 20$ DDR2 1GB stick 667Mhz
Anybody with a better help for this guy?? I think this is pretty decent build.
July 7, 2008 8:37:40 AM

The later Northwood chips the 3ghz & 3.2ghz were 800mhz FSB processors and the Prescott CPU's were 800mhz. The Asus 875 & 865 chipset motherboards the P4C800-E Deluxe and the P4P800-E Deluxe supported both Northwood and Prescott CPU's so if either of those are the board you have then yes it will work. As for the other chipsets I'm not sure so you will need to tell us what board you have.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 7, 2008 8:49:15 AM

Tmodmz84 said:
Hi guys. I have an old Asus P4 socket 478 motherboard and i'm planning to do an upgrade for the CPU. My current CPU is a Intel Pentium 4 2.6mhz single core. I found a 3.0mhz CPU on Newegg.com and im wondering if it compatible with my motherboard.

Here's the CPU that i'm looking at : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027

btw what's bus speed ? I checked my motherboard spec and it said my CPU socket front side bus speed is 533/400 mhz but the speed on that Prescott 3.0mhz CPU is 800 mhz. Does that mean it's too fast for my socket configuration ?

The reason im upgrading is because i think my current 2.6mhz CPU is bottlenecking my Radeon x1950 pro agp 8x. I just want to keep this old system for a little bit longer. This will be my last upgrade until i can save up enough money for a brand new system in the futre.

So do you think that CPU will work on my motherboard ?

wouldnt spend a cent on old P4's!

have a look at the Asrock 4CoreDual-SATA2 motherboard -perhaps if your short for cash you could pick up one and a new cpu and for now use your old stuff till you can afford to upgrade the rest, even a lowly Intel E2140 would blow the doors off your current system, even a 420m or Celeron E1200.

BTW and ASUS motherboard with the 800 in the name supports prescott cpus (P4S800, P4P800 series etc)
July 7, 2008 6:56:35 PM

thanks guys. I guess im just going to upgrade to new mobo, cpu rather than this old cpu.
November 14, 2008 3:24:46 PM

I am in the same position, How did you get on with the Mobo change.? I have just done a barebones with a E2220 Oh what a difference, guess the answer is junk the old Mobo and install a bb motherboard, Oh well!
September 1, 2011 11:32:36 AM

HI Tmodmz84
i had a gigabite MB that used the celeron (R) with the 478 socket . i tried lots of cpu's tryin to upgread it - found i couldn't . was cheaper to get a new MB and upgread from it - a 775 socket in the MSI MB and cheap . - upgraded to a duecore and run games well - tryin to up grade from a 478 cost me over $1,100 - the new MB with duocore , powersupply, and new ram came to just over $425 - have since rebiult 3 computers with new MB - you can do much more that way - i am on a fixed income and found you can buy alot of cheap upgrades that work well , you just have to look - good luck
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
September 1, 2011 12:01:29 PM

errrr 2008 much

MSI = rubbish

duocore? wtf?
!