Safe HT/NB speeds.?

jhoffa_84

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
Ive been messing with my clocks, and usually when I raise my fsb I would lower my HT and NB speeds so they would stay around 2000MHz when i adjust my fsb. I was curious what is usually stable for the Asus M4N 750a? I have checked a couple forums and get inconsistent information. One place recommended to stay around 2000MHz.
Should i keep them both at equal speeds, and how high can I take it?

my info
3.jpg
4.jpg

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I've been running at @2277 with a 940 PII for over a month. And have also got conflicting reports. Some saying stating that running over @2000 can cause instability problems, and yet others saying at speeds over @2000 can shorten the life of the chipset, thus a premature death of the MoBo.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
On my mobo, there's an option to lower ht and nb frequency (m4a78 pro). Why would you increase fsb anyways if you have BE? And where did you buy the m4n? I couldn't find any when I was shopping around (live in Canada btw)

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Computabug, after raising the multiplier I add a little more to it by raising the FSB, it's just more fine tuning. That and my set-up likes the extra on the FSB better than going the next click on the Multiplier.

Immortalis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Do you know the max voltage that can be put on the PhenomII 940 CPU NBVID? I have seen articals saying not to touch it and have even seen 1 saying that its ok to match the CPUVID. I have no idea what to think as AMD has no specs on it that I have seen.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Hey Immortalis, welcome to Tom's.
I opened AMD OverDrive to see where the NBVID started changing colors. At 1.2375v the orange appeared, at 1.3v it was in the Red. So there is no way can match the CPUVID voltage without incurring damage to the NorthBridge in a short period of time. I'm currently running 1.1750v on the NBVID.

Immortalis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hey Fester, I did the same thing. I guess we had the same thoughts on that one. The issues I have with that one. The CPUVID in overdrive shows 1.55 as pink and not red. 1.5v is supposed to be the max according to AMD. The other issue is that 1.175 is on my mobo as well but others have reported 1.2 or even 1.225 as default on their mobo. I also believe the 9850BE is set higher than the 940. That sorta screws me up on that subject. I have seen countless OCs with the NBVID @ 1.375 or 1.425 and it kills me that AMD did not show specs on this. For the hell of it I ran 3100 FSB with 1.425v just to see what it could do. My write speed was increased from 10891 to 15785. I was also able to run my ram @ 3.3.3.10 with no issues at all. That was @ 800mhz. SuperPI placed me a lot higher than I normally get and Vista loaded everything so fast it was pathetic. That is why i'm looking for the actual specs on this. Thank you for the warm welcome. BTW, @ that voltage and speed I never got above 54c with 45min prime. I do have a Cooler Master V8 with a higher CFM fan, but still that is good temps in my opinion.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Wow!! That quite an improvement on the write speed. I keep reading conflicting reports on NB speeds,multipliers, and voltages also. It's seems to me that the chance on having components fail, out weigh the small gains that are made by cranking a lot of power through the NB. It doesn't help that it's hard to find actual specs or definitions for a lot of the BIOS settings.

Immortalis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Well, I agree with componant failure not being worth it, but all manufacturers put the highest recommended specs @ 10% less on everything. As for the bios. I might be able to help with what the settings will affect. As far as what it will increase or decrease on your mobo I wont really know, but I most likely will be able to tell you what componants it will directly effect. Then again i'm not at all familiar with Asus and the terms that company uses. If you ever find min and max voltage specs for the NBVID please let me know. I'll keep digging myself. With that kind of performance increase it seems a waste not to try.