Stable mobo recommendation (non-gamer/no overclocking)

jjtj

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Hi,
I've been using my E6600 with an ASUS P5WDH board for a while and now, would like to upgrade my CPU to a Q9450. I don't plan to overclock this and don't care much for gaming on the PC. I primarily use my PC for running a SQL database and occasionally for photoshop.
I was hoping that someone here could direct my on what motherboard I could select. (I plan to change to Nehalem when it becomes affordable, but at that time, I would need to swap out the mobo, cpu and probably the memory too)

I primarily need stability with this mobo. I will be using 4x2 GB (Corsair) memory (DDR2-800)

* The board must have an Intel chipset and must support Matrix RAID
* Should have at least 6 SATA ports (almost all recent boards now seem to have that)
* Should have at least 6 USB ports (almost all recent boards now seem to have that)
* Should have firewire header (I want to be able to use my firewire external drive)
* It must have at least one X16 PCIe connector for the one 8800 GT that I use (I will not use 2 GPUs at a time since I don't game much)

I don't care for IDE or Floppy or PS2 connectors

The ASUS/gigabyte boards that I saw on newegg that had these features were the high end boards (> $200) with crossfire support or other features that I don't really care for. I would like to pay $50-$140 for this board.
Any suggestions would be welcome!
Thanks

jjtj

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I thought so too, but when I read on the ASUS support forums, I have found multiple posts (links below) from people indicating that the Q9450 is not even running stable at stock settings.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080705033154359&board_id=1&model=P5W+DH+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080330122136906&board_id=1&model=P5W+DH+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Searched on other forums as well and have only seen people complaining about the combination of Q9450 and the P5W.
I thought about flashing my bios to the current one 2704 and trying the Q9450 on it first (before buying the new mobo), but am worried about the stability of the 2704 with the E6600 (other users are complaining about it providing incorrect voltages)...
The P5W is a good board (has all the features we need) - but am just concerned about the compatibility with Q9450.
Has anyone here used the P5W with Q9450?