New build wrap up - with results

bananajuice

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
well after many months of reveiws from here and newegg I finally purchased and assembled my PC

The parts are as follows

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel
E8400 3.0 wolfdale
evga 780i sli MB
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
2 EVGA 512-P3-N841-AR GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, ULC, CE, CB, RoHS
2 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
HT OMEGA STRIKER 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
ASUS Black 20X DVD+R

Just over $1,600

The build was smooth and painless. The case does have its flaws as to cable management. Time is need to make additional holes in the MB tray to make use of the its powersupply being located at the bottom of the case (I didnt do this for this build, however if your are going to purchase this case take a look at some mod sites. A simple hole done w/ a hole saw would make a would of difference)

The sound card was a close call. Since I went with SLI and dual slot gpu's the last PCI slot on the MB was taken (I was planning on using that for my sound since the pci-express was coverd by the 1st gpu. The only one left open was the pci slot located between the Gpu's and it just made it.

using XP pro, the install of windows was a snap. NO issues at all. all drivers installed and all componets were seen by the PC. The only change I did was change the MEM timings and volts to the recommend values since the MB didnt (4,4,4,12 and 2.1) I didnt overclock the FSB. I was planning on OC but since I scored a 14766 on 3dmark06 i thought there was no need to

some of this parts already came down in price, I feel it was a good build and all parts seem to work together great. All games (HLs BF2 COH and many other all run on its highest settings and crysis runs on high with no slow downs (about 1/3 into the game so far)

oh ya, this case pushes some air, great case for gamers.

3dmark5222008.jpg

heres a sample of a hole that should be cut (i grabbed this from one of the mod sites

Pc1010256.jpg

havik110

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
okay stupid question but why cut the hole in the case...i want to buy the same cans and ws wondering what its for...

bananajuice

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
not stupid at all, the case works fine as is (I didnt make any holes for my build) however, the powersupply has many wires and sometimes its hard to hide them. This case has a small gap between the mobo tray and back panel. This space is great for routing wires. the problem is that there are only 2 holes from the factory which are to high up to be of any good use. By putting a hole at the bottom you can route some wires behind the mobo tray. This would allow better air flow in the end and look nice.

just take a look at this mod site

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126395

bananajuice

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
thanks, this was my first build and i never oc before, I purchased the aftermarket HS just incase. I might try later but This build is only a month old and i still want to make sure its rock stable before OC'ing. Also, I am happy with my benchmark score . I dont think i will notice a difference if I am already maxing out on all my gaems. doesnt oc limit the life of the cpu?