Sign in with
Your question

KSOD, Dual Boot Vista Main w/XP

Last response: in Windows Vista
December 1, 2012 8:54:01 PM

Hello,
I have a XPS420 w/4GB mem, 1/TB HHD. THe system has performed flawlessly for approx. 4yrs. 11/24/2012 system worked, 11/25/2012 upon boot had misc. bracket chars on scr. and system boots to a KSOD with active mouse arrow, Vista safe mode worked once and then no more. Determined video card was at fault and replaced. Now XP loads and runs but primary Vista remains w/KSOD.
I have a number of programs that run under Vista OS that I need to keep. Any new thoughts or revelations on solving this problem? I have checked all the things that I has been able to find online and only found one issue RE: registry "Shell" was set to cmd.exe changed to explorer.exe with no change. Help!!!
December 7, 2012 4:12:46 PM

smith_m said:
Hello,
I have a XPS420 w/4GB mem, 1/TB HHD. THe system has performed flawlessly for approx. 4yrs. 11/24/2012 system worked, 11/25/2012 upon boot had misc. bracket chars on scr. and system boots to a KSOD with active mouse arrow, Vista safe mode worked once and then no more. Determined video card was at fault and replaced. Now XP loads and runs but primary Vista remains w/KSOD.
I have a number of programs that run under Vista OS that I need to keep. Any new thoughts or revelations on solving this problem? I have checked all the things that I has been able to find online and only found one issue RE: registry "Shell" was set to cmd.exe changed to explorer.exe with no change. Help!!!

it might be related to the eventlog. To test this, I wanted to disable the eventlog. Unfortunately you cannot disable the eventlog from a running Windows because some other services are relying on it. I booted into “safe mode with command prompt”, because normal safe mode would also give me the KSOD. I disabled the eventlog and rebooted the machine and to my surprise everything worked :) 

The next step was to delete all eventlog files from C:\Windows\System32\Winevt\logs, switch on the eventlog again, reboot and everything was again working :) 
m
l
!