Question for the Local Guru's

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 13, 2005 1:18:44 PM

I haven't had to impliment it yet and only have the briefest passing
overview of it.

IPv6

Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed of
network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the next 30
years?

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

More about : question local guru

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:59:28 PM

Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> IPv6
>
> Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed of
> network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the next 30
> years?

It's just another protocol on top of Ethernet, protocol number 6. (They
skipped 5, I forget why.) WinXPSP2 and the Fedora Core 2 on have support
for IPv6, and FC2 includes 6to4 tunneling built-in. If you have a FC2
gateway or later, you can use it connect your LAN to the 6BONE (the IPv6
backbone) by tunneling IPv6 to a router with an anycast address over IPv4.
If you're lucky, your ISP has such a router, but more likely your packets
have to go to Europe to connect to the 6BONE.

IP v4 and v6 packets are "encapsulated" in the packets of the physical
layer, whether they be Ethernet or PPP. There's a field in the containing
hardware packet that says what's inside the physical packet, whether it be
IPv4, IPv6, NETBIOS, or some other lower level protocol. When the hardware
packet arrives at the recipient, the driver looks at that field to decide
what higher layer driver to dispatch it to. It's just a lookup table to a
subroutine. Back in DOS days, this was done by "binding" the drivers
together, building the lookup table dynamically based on what drivers you
had.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:32:08 PM

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I haven't had to impliment it yet and only have the briefest passing
> overview of it.
>
> IPv6
>
> Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed of
> network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the next 30
> years?
>
> --

hmmm what gibberish is this, might i add?
August 13, 2005 8:53:45 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:18:44 -0500, Smeghead wrote:

> I haven't had to impliment it yet and only have the briefest passing
> overview of it.
>
> IPv6
>
> Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed of
> network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the next 30
> years?

It should work now.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:53:45 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:18:44 -0500, Smeghead wrote:
>
>> I haven't had to impliment it yet and only have the briefest passing
>> overview of it.
>>
>> IPv6
>>
>> Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed of
>> network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the next 30
>> years?
>
>It should work now.

BITCHIN'!

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 13, 2005 9:44:39 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:59:28 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> IPv6
>>
>> Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed of
>> network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the next 30
>> years?
>
>It's just another protocol on top of Ethernet, protocol number 6. (They
>skipped 5, I forget why.) WinXPSP2 and the Fedora Core 2 on have support
>for IPv6, and FC2 includes 6to4 tunneling built-in. If you have a FC2
>gateway or later, you can use it connect your LAN to the 6BONE (the IPv6
>backbone) by tunneling IPv6 to a router with an anycast address over IPv4.
>If you're lucky, your ISP has such a router, but more likely your packets
>have to go to Europe to connect to the 6BONE.
>
>IP v4 and v6 packets are "encapsulated" in the packets of the physical
>layer, whether they be Ethernet or PPP. There's a field in the containing
>hardware packet that says what's inside the physical packet, whether it be
>IPv4, IPv6, NETBIOS, or some other lower level protocol. When the hardware
>packet arrives at the recipient, the driver looks at that field to decide
>what higher layer driver to dispatch it to. It's just a lookup table to a
>subroutine. Back in DOS days, this was done by "binding" the drivers
>together, building the lookup table dynamically based on what drivers you
>had.

<bows before the 'Monkey>

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

Apone: "All right, people,
what are you waiting for?
Breakfast in bed? Another
glorious day in the corps!
A day in the Marine Corps
is like a day on the farm.
Every meal's a banquet!
Every paycheck a fortune!
Every formation a parade!
I LOVE the corps!"
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:50:20 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:32:08 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:

> hmmm what gibberish is this, might i add?

IPv6. Created to ease the apparent burdening of the internet. All you
might see will be 16 digit IP addresses, instead of 12 digit...:
http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=78328

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
August 13, 2005 9:50:21 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:50:20 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:32:08 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
>
>> hmmm what gibberish is this, might i add?
>
>IPv6. Created to ease the apparent burdening of the internet. All you
>might see will be 16 digit IP addresses, instead of 12 digit...:
>http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=78328

It has enough addressing space to give something like 1500 addresses
to every square meter of the earth's surface.

So we should be good until we start doing off-world colonizing. :)

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:50:20 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 16:32:08 +0000 (UTC), Adrian Ng wrote:
>>
>>> hmmm what gibberish is this, might i add?
>>
>>IPv6. Created to ease the apparent burdening of the internet. All you
>>might see will be 16 digit IP addresses, instead of 12 digit...:
>>http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=78328
>
> It has enough addressing space to give something like 1500 addresses
> to every square meter of the earth's surface.
>
> So we should be good until we start doing off-world colonizing. :)
>
> --
> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--

or when we build skyscrapers on every square meter of the earth's surface.
August 13, 2005 9:54:53 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:54:52 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:50:20 +0100, Mr K <duffstuff@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>IPv6. Created to ease the apparent burdening of the internet. All you
>>>might see will be 16 digit IP addresses, instead of 12 digit...:
>>>http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=78328
>>
>> It has enough addressing space to give something like 1500 addresses
>> to every square meter of the earth's surface.
>>
>> So we should be good until we start doing off-world colonizing. :)
>>
>> --
>> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--
>
>or when we build skyscrapers on every square meter of the earth's surface.

Hehehe, we'll look like Coruscant then! No oceans seen from space,
just miles high urban sprawl.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:54:52 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> It has enough addressing space to give something like 1500 addresses
>>> to every square meter of the earth's surface.
>>>
>>> So we should be good until we start doing off-world colonizing. :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--
>>
>>or when we build skyscrapers on every square meter of the earth's surface.
>
> Hehehe, we'll look like Coruscant then! No oceans seen from space,
> just miles high urban sprawl.
>
> --
> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--

propper ghetto.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:42:34 PM

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 07:26:19 -0500, ScratchMonkey wrote:

> "What ever happened to IPv5?"
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/3316

"Unfortunately, that "5" was already given to something else."

I'm surprised. Y'can always count on O'Reilly for good information though.

--
"You're not afraid of the dark are you?"
R.L.U. #300033 - MDK10.1 - WindowMaker 0.90.0
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 12:23:52 PM

Adrian Ng wrote:
> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I haven't had to impliment it yet and only have the briefest passing
>> overview of it.
>>
>> IPv6
>>
>> Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed
>> of network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the
>> next 30 years?
>>
>> --
>
> hmmm what gibberish is this, might i add?

I'm so glad you asked first!!!! LOL

I'm so *totally* clueless tonight..........

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

August 15, 2005 12:33:11 PM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> IPv6
>>
>> Does it work with present, existing NIC's or will a whole new breed
>> of network cards that are IPv6 compatable be cranked out over the
>> next 30 years?
>
> It's just another protocol on top of Ethernet, protocol number 6.
> (They skipped 5, I forget why.) WinXPSP2 and the Fedora Core 2 on
> have support for IPv6, and FC2 includes 6to4 tunneling built-in. If
> you have a FC2 gateway or later, you can use it connect your LAN to
> the 6BONE (the IPv6 backbone) by tunneling IPv6 to a router with an
> anycast address over IPv4. If you're lucky, your ISP has such a
> router, but more likely your packets have to go to Europe to connect
> to the 6BONE.
>
> IP v4 and v6 packets are "encapsulated" in the packets of the physical
> layer, whether they be Ethernet or PPP. There's a field in the
> containing hardware packet that says what's inside the physical
> packet, whether it be IPv4, IPv6, NETBIOS, or some other lower level
> protocol. When the hardware packet arrives at the recipient, the
> driver looks at that field to decide what higher layer driver to
> dispatch it to. It's just a lookup table to a subroutine. Back in DOS
> days, this was done by "binding" the drivers together, building the
> lookup table dynamically based on what drivers you had.

I humbly bow down before my computer god.

I know someone else said it not long ago, and not in these
exact words, but DAMN you're smart. Either that or you have
the most amazing photographic memory of anyone I know.

I think I'll stick to the hardware side of these beasts..........

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle "hand me that soldering iron" Smith

August 15, 2005 12:33:12 PM

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:43005347$1_1
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> I know someone else said it not long ago, and not in these
> exact words, but DAMN you're smart. Either that or you have
> the most amazing photographic memory of anyone I know.

I go for the latter. Plus, I'm patient! ;)  I recall reading that Newton was
capable of intense concentration, and his ability to work out Physics is
largely attributed to that.

I suspect this might be relevant:

August 15, 2005 12:34:29 PM

Smeghead wrote:
> <bows before the 'Monkey>

No kidding! His memory alone is mind-boggling.

Well, this coming from a woman who can't remember
last night's supper....................

August 15, 2005 12:34:30 PM

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:43005395$1_2
@news6.uncensored-news.com:

> No kidding! His memory alone is mind-boggling.
>
> Well, this coming from a woman who can't remember
> last night's supper....................

But I have no memory for names and faces. I'm very left-brained in this
regard. I suspect if I took an anatomy class that gave me a way to classify
faces in some sort of mechanistic way, I'd do much better.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 7:50:43 PM

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:43005395$1_2
> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> No kidding! His memory alone is mind-boggling.
>>
>> Well, this coming from a woman who can't remember
>> last night's supper....................
>
> But I have no memory for names and faces. I'm very left-brained in this
> regard. I suspect if I took an anatomy class that gave me a way to
> classify
> faces in some sort of mechanistic way, I'd do much better.

That is funny. My son is the same way. He has taught himself to converse
in several languages -- Czech, Norwegian and German -- and learning
Vietnamese and Spanish; is a brilliant piano player, song writer and
teacher, and has a mind for math closing in on rain man. When my wife was
trying to teach him algebra (home schooled) he would come up with his own
formulas of finding the correct answer aside from the ones in the book. He
could add numbers in his head on road trips from all road signs accurately
enough on repeat trips to tell me I had missed an exit. Yet he cannot
remember what people look like if he has not seen them after several months.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 1:19:03 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in news:43005347$1_1
> @news6.uncensored-news.com:
>
>> I know someone else said it not long ago, and not in these
>> exact words, but DAMN you're smart. Either that or you have
>> the most amazing photographic memory of anyone I know.
>
> I go for the latter. Plus, I'm patient! ;)  I recall reading that
> Newton was capable of intense concentration, and his ability to work
> out Physics is largely attributed to that.
>
> I suspect this might be relevant:

Very interesting!

August 16, 2005 1:26:13 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote:
>> No kidding! His memory alone is mind-boggling.
>> Well, this coming from a woman who can't remember
>> last night's supper....................
>
> But I have no memory for names and faces. I'm very left-brained in
> this regard. I suspect if I took an anatomy class that gave me a way
> to classify faces in some sort of mechanistic way, I'd do much better.

I never forget a face, but names always elude me.

<light bulb goes on over head>

Say, I wonder if that's related to my noting the men's faces
first in Dave's photos? Interesting subject to ponder. Right after
more coffee.............

August 16, 2005 10:23:56 AM

Randy Graham wrote:
> Hmmmm, something is wrong with me. I swear I read that as "I think
> I'll stick to the hardware side and rubbing my breasts." I swear,
> you'd think I was hormonally imbalanced or something.
>
> RagManX

Whoa. That's a definite horndog state of mind, all right.

August 16, 2005 4:18:05 PM

Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Hehehe, we'll look like Coruscant then! No oceans seen from space,
> just miles high urban sprawl.

Lucus totally ripped that vision off of Asimov and his first 3 Robot's
novels.
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 4:27:32 PM

Quixote wrote:
> That is funny. My son is the same way. He has taught himself to converse
> in several languages -- Czech, Norwegian and German -- and learning
> Vietnamese and Spanish; is a brilliant piano player, song writer and
> teacher, and has a mind for math closing in on rain man. When my wife was
> trying to teach him algebra (home schooled) he would come up with his own
> formulas of finding the correct answer aside from the ones in the book. He
> could add numbers in his head on road trips from all road signs accurately
> enough on repeat trips to tell me I had missed an exit. Yet he cannot
> remember what people look like if he has not seen them after several months.

That's amazing. I forget faces and names a lot, too.

It's a pity I can't do any of that other stuff.
--
Frank
August 16, 2005 5:46:20 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:18:05 GMT, Spanner <nonehere@fu.com> wrote:

>Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>

>> Hehehe, we'll look like Coruscant then! No oceans seen from space,
>> just miles high urban sprawl.
>>
>Lucus totally ripped that vision off of Asimov and his first 3 Robot's
>novels.

George Lucas "sampled", "borrowed", "plagerized" plot-lines and/or
visual ideas from someone else?!

Pshh, next thing you'll be telling me is that Bill Gates and Microsoft
do the same thing.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
August 16, 2005 5:51:29 PM

Spanner <nonehere@fu.com> wrote in news:Xns96B45E9C6354Adamoncookegmailcom@
198.161.157.145:

> Lucus totally ripped that vision off of Asimov and his first 3 Robot's
> novels.

Okay, Lucas. :p

Anyway, flying out to Scotland today for a 2 month job. Adios.
August 16, 2005 5:51:30 PM

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:51:29 GMT, Spanner <nonehere@fu.com> wrote:

>Spanner <nonehere@fu.com> wrote in news:Xns96B45E9C6354Adamoncookegmailcom@
>198.161.157.145:
>
>> Lucus totally ripped that vision off of Asimov and his first 3 Robot's
>> novels.
>>

>Okay, Lucas. :p
>
>Anyway, flying out to Scotland today for a 2 month job. Adios.

Remember, their called Kilts, not skirts. Because if you call it a
skirt, you'll get kilt.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

Spanner wrote:
> Spanner <nonehere@fu.com> wrote in news:Xns96B45E9C6354Adamoncookegmailcom@
> 198.161.157.145:
>

>>Lucus totally ripped that vision off of Asimov and his first 3 Robot's
>>novels.
>>

> Okay, Lucas. :p
>
> Anyway, flying out to Scotland today for a 2 month job. Adios.

cya
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:59:33 AM

Spanner wrote:
> Spanner <nonehere@fu.com> wrote in
> news:Xns96B45E9C6354Adamoncookegmailcom@ 198.161.157.145:
>
>> Lucus totally ripped that vision off of Asimov and his first 3
>> Robot's novels.
>>

> Okay, Lucas. :p
>
> Anyway, flying out to Scotland today for a 2 month job. Adios.

Oh!! Take photos!! And be careful, of course!!

I envy you *this* trip! Ooh, Scotland.............

August 23, 2005 3:11:52 AM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 18:50:44 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
<spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 17:54:52 +0000 (UTC), "Adrian Ng"
>> <spam.ng@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>or when we build skyscrapers on every square meter of the earth's surface.
>>
>> Hehehe, we'll look like Coruscant then! No oceans seen from space,
>> just miles high urban sprawl.
>>
>> --
>> --==<S m e g h e a d>==--
>
>propper ghetto.

I take that pathetically small estimation of the area of coverage of
the mighty IPv6 addressing scheme back. Here's some info...

"IPv4 supports about 4 billion (4 × 109) addresses, while IPv6
supports about 3.4 × 1038 (340 undecillion) addresses -- about 4.3 ×
1020 (430 quintillion) addresses per square inch (6.7 × 1017 (670
quadrillion) addresses/mm²) of the Earth's surface." - Wikipedia

430 QUINTILLION addresses per SQUARE INCH?! Blimey!

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

>>>430 QUINTILLION addresses per SQUARE INCH?! Blimey!
>>
>>Well, it seems like a lot now, but when you get an IP address for each
>>cell if your body, that's going to seem an awfully constricting
>>number...
>
> Just forward this message to my left foot, middle toe, front right
> toe-nail quadrant, cell 12,456c.

Isn't that the one running the spam zombie?
August 23, 2005 9:25:32 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 14:31:18 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<scratchmonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

>>>Well, it seems like a lot now, but when you get an IP address for each
>>>cell if your body, that's going to seem an awfully constricting
>>>number...
>>
>> Just forward this message to my left foot, middle toe, front right
>> toe-nail quadrant, cell 12,456c.
>
>Isn't that the one running the spam zombie?

No, it's the one contaminated with a fungus. A self-replicating,
malicious code.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
!