Sign in with
Your question

Backing up old video (vhs) to hard drive

Last response: in Storage
September 5, 2009 3:27:55 AM

See my profile for comp spec.

So i need some help and advice please. How can i back up old video tapes to my computer's hard drive?

What equipment will i need?

What software is needed?

Has anybody done this, please help.
a b G Storage
September 5, 2009 6:00:07 AM

You need something like the BELKIN DVD Creator USB 2.0 link below gives details, software required comes with it. While this is an Australian site such devices would be available in your local stores or online.
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4aa1fb8c01...
Depending on your needs you can also get capture devices as part of a tv tuner, in usb or pci/pcie cards also with software included and about the same price or more depending on brand and features, like dual tv tuners and fm radio.
You simply take the output from the vcr's audio & video using standard rca leads, record using the supplied software, playtime = record time, no short cuts.
The tv cards usually come with adptors for standard rca connections.
September 5, 2009 2:57:17 PM

+1 for the tv tuner if you have a decent vhs player still

can also use it for ATSC (DTV Over the Air) and ClearQAM (unencrypted local channels from cable)
Related resources
September 5, 2009 7:40:59 PM

Janmor that link shows only the their site, not the actual product

Thanks guys, Im not sure wether to get that cable or a TV tuner
a c 351 G Storage
September 6, 2009 3:49:07 AM

I have converted all my old VCR tapes to DVD. The only reason I mention this is that some off my tapes had a copy protection that prevented coping them. Bought a GoDVD model2 made by SIMA.
a b G Storage
September 6, 2009 9:54:59 PM

If you are trying to copy protected media I doubt this will solve your problem, as the vcr will encrypt the outgoing signal.
Modern player & recorders have hardware encoding to prevent protected content being copied. The result will be a distorted signal.
a c 415 G Storage
September 7, 2009 5:11:05 AM

RetiredChief said:
The GoDVD device works, as I said I backed up all my VCR movie Just google GoDvd sima
It does work, but unfortunately it's been discontinued for some time and has become very hard to find.
a c 351 G Storage
September 7, 2009 7:22:42 PM

smilal - alas, probably got run over by "copy protection" clods. I've had mine for a good number of years 6 or 8). Think I got it from COMPUSA. It was not the greatest but worked for VCR "Quality" and I could back-up some of my DVDs that programs back then could not.
!