Sign in with
Your question

All sticks must be identical?

Last response: in Memory
July 29, 2008 3:07:19 AM

These are currently in my PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

• Speed DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
  • Cas Latency 5
  • Timing 5-5-5-15
  • Voltage 1.8V - 2.0V

If I were to add another 2 GB to my computer, must I buy sticks with the same specs as the existing pair? Let's say if I bought 2 more sticks with a cas latency of 4 (or diff timing or diff voltage). Would that screw up my computer?
  • More about : sticks identical

July 29, 2008 3:22:07 AM

the Cl4 would be set back to Cl5 to much the first which would be just a waste. voltage would be the same but if the first set needs 1.8-2V and the second lot you buy needs 2.1V you might get instabilty from the 2 set you put in
    July 29, 2008 2:41:20 PM

From my recent experience, I would say that it's safest (and has the best chance of sucess) to have all RAM with identical voltages and timings...even better if it's all from the same manufacturer (and same model and production batch). I recently replaced my existing 4 gb of RAM with 8 gb of new matching RAM (same manufacturer, same model, same timings, same voltage --- all identical). I didn't like the idea of tossing aside 4 gb of working RAM but my thought was for a total of $150 I end up with 8 gb of all matching RAM, a better chance of success from the start and many less headaches (especially if it creates instability or damages a component due to varying MB voltages on the RAM.) Part of my motivation was also created by the fact that I could not adjust voltages or timings in my bios.
    Related resources
    July 29, 2008 2:54:34 PM

First of all download and run CPUZ and click the SPD (Serial Presence Detect) tab which should give you a screen like this

That will show you all the voltages and timings your memory is rated for which will make matching it a little easier. The RAM above was sold a DDR2 800 4-4-3-10 2.1v but as you can see it has JEDEC timings identical to the memory you have 5-5-5-15 1.8v
    July 29, 2008 3:03:04 PM

tokyotech said:
    If I were to add another 2 GB to my computer, must I buy sticks with the same specs as the existing pair? Let's say if I bought 2 more sticks with a cas latency of 4 (or diff timing or diff voltage). Would that screw up my computer?

No, the faster sticks would slow down to match the slower sticks.
    !