Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] Suddenly unable to resume from sleep mode, no display

December 2, 2012 7:35:18 PM

Edit: I feel very silly now, turns out the reliability monitor does indeed help. Apparently the Hamachi update that installed was the culprit, and after uninstalling all is working properly again.

I began having a problem I'd never had with a Windows computer yesterday. My laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545) has not been waking up from sleep mode. I have the standard issue - hard disk spinning up, power light on, but no display. Moving mouse/pressing keys and pressing the power button does not work.

From the Event Viewer:

Level: Critical Date/Time: 2012-12-02 3:37:58 AM Source: Kernel-Power Event ID: 41
Description: The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.

Level: Critical Date/Time: 2012-12-02 3:28:33 PM Source: Kernel-Power Event ID: 41
Description: The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.

Level: Critical Date/Time: 2012-12-02 4:13:10 PM Source: Kernel-Power Event ID: 41

Any posts I find online about this issue seem to be about this problem occurring the first time sleep mode is entered, but I've been using the same power settings for almost a year with no issues until yesterday. Unfortunately, I may know what caused the problem, but I have no idea why it would continue to happen or how to fix it. Last night when I was going to close my laptop, I remembered something I had forgotten to do and reopened it, I thought before it closed enough to trigger sleep mode, but unfortunately I was too late. After this I couldn't get the laptop to wake up and had to force shut down, and ever since then I've had the same problem every time I close and re-open my laptop. Any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Edit: Haven't received any responses, but have been trying to do some troubleshooting. Right now I'm using hibernation while sleep won't work, but since I dual-boot, it takes longer to resume from hibernation (about a minute) than from sleep mode (about 5 seconds). I've been using the Microsoft troubleshooting article here. My OS is up-to-date, and I performed a clean boot as suggested to see if a non-Microsoft service/program was causing the issue, which is not the case. The reliability monitor shows Hamachi updated the day the issue started, an OS failure (codes 0x0000009f, (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa80039f0060, and 0xfffffa800), and two disruptive shutdowns when I had to force shutdown the laptop. I've uninstalled Hamachi because I don't use it now anyway, so we'll see if that was the problem - I'm going to test sleep mode again as soon as I'm done editing the post.
!