How do I make my floppy use the slave part of the floppy cable

ballist1x

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
I got a new rounded floppy cable which has a master and slave connectors. I only have 1 floppy so I've connected it to the mater part which is at the end of the cable, and that leaves the slave part unused, making it quite long and annoying. I was wondering if there is a way to change that, and make the floppy use the slave part (asuming it's the slave part at the middle) so that I can cut off the end of the cable. This would make things neat. I won't need the other part of the cable because I only need 1 floppy...I don't even use this one that often but sometimes it's good for some dos apps. I think that for the CD/DVD drive there is a jumper that changes which part of the cable to use but I don't think I see a jumper on my floppy drive. Some help with this little problem of mine would be nice.

Thank you.

ballist1x

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
Yes I do but I don't want to waste time and money for another...I hoped that I could configure something that would make my floppy run on the slave connector and I'd cut of the master connector. The floppy doesn't even boot on the slave... I need this to work for my new build...I don't want to have any useless cables...it will look unprofessional. My mobo comes with a rounded ide cable but no floppy cable...strage sinse some of the other models have it. I need an idea...to make this rouned calble work.
I could always try and use my old floppy cable...it's a normal cable. I seperated all the little lines and then put ducktape on it so it's something like a rounded cable but it's not too cool too look at since I've got a window on my new case side panel...it's practical though...

The floppy should work equally well on either connector, and it shouldn't matter if you cut off the rest of the cable as long as in doing so you don't end up with any exposed wires shorting out. If the floppy isn't working on the middle connector then there's probably some problem with the cable (more likely) or the drive.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

It's the 'twist' between A: and B: connector as mentioned by MrLinux that makes the difference. I've cut off the A: (end connector) before and made the 'twist' myself to convert from B: to A:, by that was done with ribbon. In a round cable it's all tangled up.

Buying a new cable seems to be the only choice here.

You need to do that if you want to be able to boot from the floppy, since you can only boot off "A:". But if you don't need to boot from the floppy then just having one floppy connected as "B:" should work (although I must confess I've not tried it myself).