Miraculous PC Update

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:90mtf1hj06oan8e3ebmqt1f6eoql7b2gqj@4ax.com...
> The silence is deafening, Miracle. What's the skinny?

I think she called a weekend break. Even so, I think she has everything in
the first order installed.

Hey Miracle, if you have a graphics card you could put in a PCI slot, you
should just check to make sure the board will post before adding any other
peripherals. There is a chance you may have to take it out and try it out
of the case, and it's much easier with just the bare minimum installed.

Quixote

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:49:56 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The silence is deafening, Miracle. What's the skinny?
>>

>I think she called a weekend break. Even so, I think she has everything in
>the first order installed.
>
>Hey Miracle, if you have a graphics card you could put in a PCI slot, you
>should just check to make sure the board will post before adding any other
>peripherals. There is a chance you may have to take it out and try it out
>of the case, and it's much easier with just the bare minimum installed.

Missed the weekend break call. My bad.

And, isn't it fun hunting down trouble from a bare board up?

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:49:56 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> The silence is deafening, Miracle. What's the skinny?
>>>

>>I think she called a weekend break. Even so, I think she has everything
>>in
>>the first order installed.
>>
>>Hey Miracle, if you have a graphics card you could put in a PCI slot, you
>>should just check to make sure the board will post before adding any other
>>peripherals. There is a chance you may have to take it out and try it out
>>of the case, and it's much easier with just the bare minimum installed.
>
> Missed the weekend break call. My bad.
>
> And, isn't it fun hunting down trouble from a bare board up?

Building from scratch is like the geek equivalent of extreme sports! There
is a little rush of adrenaline every time before you apply power to that new
build...will it post or not! Man talk about a roller coaster ride. When
they don't post your heart falls right into your stomach. :^) Build enough
and you will see all the different scenarios, including frying components.
Smoke signals the hardware won...

Quixote

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 14:34:49 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:49:56 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>>I think she called a weekend break. Even so, I think she has everything
>>>in
>>>the first order installed.
>>>
>>>Hey Miracle, if you have a graphics card you could put in a PCI slot, you
>>>should just check to make sure the board will post before adding any other
>>>peripherals. There is a chance you may have to take it out and try it out
>>>of the case, and it's much easier with just the bare minimum installed.
>>
>> Missed the weekend break call. My bad.
>>
>> And, isn't it fun hunting down trouble from a bare board up?
>>

>Building from scratch is like the geek equivalent of extreme sports! There
>is a little rush of adrenaline every time before you apply power to that new
>build...will it post or not! Man talk about a roller coaster ride. When
>they don't post your heart falls right into your stomach. :^) Build enough
>and you will see all the different scenarios, including frying components.
>Smoke signals the hardware won...

No posts are heartbreaking.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

Quixote wrote:
> "Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:49:56 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>I think she called a weekend break. Even so, I think she has everything
>>>in
>>>the first order installed.
>>>
>>>Hey Miracle, if you have a graphics card you could put in a PCI slot, you
>>>should just check to make sure the board will post before adding any other
>>>peripherals. There is a chance you may have to take it out and try it out
>>>of the case, and it's much easier with just the bare minimum installed.
>>
>>Missed the weekend break call. My bad.
>>
>>And, isn't it fun hunting down trouble from a bare board up?
>>

> Building from scratch is like the geek equivalent of extreme sports! There
> is a little rush of adrenaline every time before you apply power to that new
> build...will it post or not!

I've rarely had a problem putting PC's past POST. I was more worried at
the cracks, creaks and bends in hardware that was not designed to make
such noises, during installation. Something always seemingly goes
horribly wrong, and it all seems to work in the end.

Even installed one motherboard where my spacers weren't all identical
length. First system I built myself, actually. Tough to get the final
screws in, but it worked fine for its entire lifetime so far (currently
at a friend's place as the main PC).

Sorry guys- this is the only post in this thread that I have.

No wait, there's one by Frank 3 hours after this one....

Smeghead wrote:
> No posts are heartbreaking.

Awwwww........... :(

I was quiet last night because y'all were (I thought,
due to lack of posts!), and I was watching TV a lot.
I'm pretty scarce on the weekends usually, until
late at night.

Update: I still have several connections to make on the
mobo with various wires. Tomorrow it will be my mission to
show y'all one wire at a time so y'all can help me find where
it goes. Plus I'll try to take a few nice big shots of the "guts"
so far, in order for y'all to spot any obvious bloopers. :eek:}

NewEgg shipped the video card and hard drives yesterday,
so they *might* be here tomorrow afternoon. Probably Tuesday
though........

One side note- no way will I plug in the power cord to that
new beast until y'all say I can!! Nuh-uh, no way!!

--
> ^,,^< Miracle
www.electronicfunzone.com

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 15 Aug 2005 05:55:46 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> No posts are heartbreaking.
>

> Awwwww........... :(
>
> I was quiet last night because y'all were (I thought,
>due to lack of posts!), and I was watching TV a lot.
> I'm pretty scarce on the weekends usually, until
>late at night.

I should have wrote no-posts are heartbreaking. When you piece
together your new machine and it doesn't post. Power On Self Test.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

Smeghead wrote:
> No posts are heartbreaking.

Oh *jeez*, I just got the correct context this was in!

<red face>

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 15 Aug 2005 09:09:14 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> No posts are heartbreaking.
>

> Oh *jeez*, I just got the correct context this was in!
>
> <red face>

LOL

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Power On Self Test. Very close with the second one, and it'd fit too
> :)
> Basically, it's just a simple spotcheck. If the result it "AIEEE, I'm
> on fire!!" or something similar, the POST will fail.
>
> Oddly, my (speaking) BIOS often reports "System failed memory test.
> Computer now booting from operating system." Which I find amusing, if
> odd. No major problems with my PC, either.

Um, I'm finally going to have to learn about the BIOS, aren't I?

Oh, you guys are going to be *so* sorry you're helping a relic
build a pc from the box up! I don't understand a thing about the
BIOS, as I've wussed out and had GNA attack the beasts when
BIOS help was needed. Hell, I didn't even know that's where the
trouble was!

I need some serious coffee still...........I slept later than I wanted
and I'm afeared of the beast..........LOL