Need help picking motherboard for a Diablo 3 gaming setup.

bechidow

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
My computer's motherboard just recently fried on me. I was gonna just get a new motherboard like ive been doing with the other parts of my computer when they went bad over the last 7 years. But i also noticed that the last game i played LOTR Shadows of Angmar was lagging a bit even a medium settings. I was running very outdated equipment and as i saw that Diablo 3 is coming in about a year i knew it was time for my first build.
I am totally basing this build around Diablo 3. I will not ever be playing games such as Crysis, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock or any other games that right now take a ton of computer to run. Im still happy with my Diablo 2 and Starcraft. Im from the Nintendo era where games were about mainly about addictiveness and not about graphics. Not saying that games cant be addictive if they have great graphics but i personally could care less as thats not what draws me to them. I just want Diablo 3 to run smooth.
So with that being said i guess my main question and where im stuck at is do i really need a motherboard that supports crossfire? I will get one with it if it will help me play D3 without any lag but if its just overkill it looks like ill save myself about $100 if i go without it. The reason i say $100 is because if i do go crossfire im gonna go X16X16 not X16X4 or X16X1. Oh i guess that just ran me into another question. Does it pay to go X16X16 for the money or is X16X1 just fine. Sorry im so computer illitrete.Im trying it just takes time to catch up after 7 years of not worrying to much about it.
The parts that i know im going to go with so far are the ATi radeon 4850 graphics card, the q6600 intel processor, and DDR 2 type memory. I cant be more specific on the memory i dont think until after i get the motherboard. But i could be wrong about that also. If you can help me in any way to find a motherboard that fits my needs it would be greatly appreciated. I just dont wanna go overkill because after D3 i am not to excited about anything else ive seen coming out on the PC gaming market.
Thank you in advance for your help again you guys have been in helping me pick out my gpu and cpu.

ilovebarny

Distinguished
May 27, 2008
ok well it sounds like you probably wont need crossfire. it would not be a bad thing to get a board that supports it though. you would want to go with 16x-4x at the lest. 16x-1x you might as well get a board that is not crossfire'able. i don't know any thing about this game so do you know if it is supposed to be dx11? if so i would say just get one card now ( the 4850 is Great) and when dx11 comes out just upgrade the graphics card to one that supports it. ( note i don't know if dx11 will work on today's cards. i hope it will). Intel makes good boards and so does msi.

btw i suggest getting OCZ ram. i have two gbs and a friend of mine has some and we both love it.

ps whats your current build?

bechidow

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for the input barney. I dont know much about this game ethier. All i know is when it comes out its all ill be playing for awhile. In another post i started a reply told me that Ati and Blizzard are in a partnership so the game should have great crossfire support. So that brings me to another question. What wins in that battle? 2 good cards in a crossfire setup or 1 great card alone. From what ive read right now it seems the 1 card alone will win. But will that change if Blizzard and ATi are partnered up?
Im just trying to future proof my motherboard a little bit if i can so when Diablo 3 comes out im not going oh crap i should of done this differently. I guess my best bet is to get a crossfire board with 1 card for now and when Diablo 3 comes out see if it plays to my liking. If it does this is all a mute point.
Maybe i could just go with 4850 card for now with a cheaper motherboard and as the release date gets closer ill have a better idea of if ill need the crossfire setup or not. Ill have to weigh the cost saved for now, to the just get it now and be done with it options :).
As for what my current build is some of the parts are 7 years old so i dont think its worth mentioning. Lets just say anything i do with this new build will be lightyears better then what i currently had.