Sign in with
Your question

DEAR NVIDIA, (what the hell is wrong with you??)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 16, 2008 3:23:52 PM

Dear Nvidia,

I am obviously not the first one to state that they are entirely angered by the results of the recent GTX280 benchmarks. I have been an Nvidia customer since the original Geforce series, always trusting the reliable green team to be at the forefront of the graphics race.

Instead this time I am completely thrown for a loop as Nvidia expects us to pay 600.00-650.00 for a (New Generation) graphics card release that performs in most cases lower than a 9800GX2 which at the time of this report is actually 150-200 dollars cheaper, and once released will most likely drop even further.

Not to mention the 9800GTX which is basically on par with an 8800 ultra is down below 300.00!! Tri-SLi anyone?? Three 9800GTX's would out perform "Quad Sli 9800GX2's" and this has already been proven on several sites (AnandTech..Hello???)WTF is wrong with Nvidia?? Tri has already been posting great numbers!!

So obviously knowing this going into a release you would want to put something on the table that would blow the doors off your current best configurations. Instead we are handed mere 15-20% gains in some situations, and actually being beat in others. And of course they didn't post SLI tests here for this report.

The next thing that really gets my goat is selling a GTX260 card for 200-250 dollars less, and it has only an 18-20% decrease in performance as compared to your new shiny Top-Of-The Line. With a little over clocking and some good cooling it's the same card in performance tets. What gives??

Now the biggest embarrassment for Nvidia is that they are pushing CUDA technology and folding at home client CRAP!! These cards are designed for gaming!! Who gives a crap about how fast they can cure cancer or render 3D medical images and scans of the human body. Maybe 10% of the cards produced will be used for this purpose. The rest will be for GAMING!! What in the hell are we even talking about that junk for in this article?? Does that even matter when really what everyone cares about is will it beat the crap out of Crysis!!?? Will it Provide me solid gaming for the next 2 years?? Is it worth my hard earned money??

So far I am in AWE...Yes..But not the good AWE, the bad one, the I can't believe this is happening here comes the BIG RED DRAGON(ATI)breathing fire and brimstone , I'm a scared little peseant in a village AWE!! I am this close to throwing away my 790i board, putting my 8800GT SLi'd on Ebay, and switching over to a crossfire platform.

Again I cannot state again how utterly disappointed I am at this turn of events, and the worst part is that there will be no way they could do a GTX280 X2 card because the manufacturing process and die size are too huge, and too hot to combine them. They would literally have to redesign the entire thing, basically doing a new release all over again.

I'm afraid to say it but I think this will be like one of those boxing matches where, the underdog is in the corner getting punched on left and right...Then something clicks, and he decides enough is enough, and he throws a BIG left that hits the other guy right in the jaw. He doesn’t see it coming, and as he hits the mat he thinks. "This guy still has some fight in him". Personally I hope ATI comes out on top with the 4870 X2. That will make Nvidia realize they can't sit around in their offices all year playing Nerf Hoops, and living off the fat of their successes over the last 4 years. They have gotten fat and lazy, and this card shows it all over the place.

I am however going to wait, and see if the driver improvements make any difference at all in the upcoming weeks to a couple months. I have a 8800GT Sli system, and I'm sitting pretty as far as I am concerned. I Still consider the 8800 GT 512mb to be one of the best graphics cards ever made, and a combo of them is hard to beat. So I will wait and see what happens.

Best of Luck to any who choose to buy it upon release, I think soon you will wish you had waited just a bit longer. the price will drop drastically once all the Tech sites get there reviews out.

More about : dear nvidia hell wrong

June 16, 2008 3:41:00 PM

dragoncyber said:
Who gives a crap about how fast they can cure cancer or render 3D medical images and scans of the human body.
Who gives a crap? Perhaps anyone who has watched a friend or loved one DIE of cancer. :pfff: 

Related resources
June 16, 2008 3:50:37 PM

spongebob said:
Who gives a crap? Perhaps anyone who has watched a friend or loved one DIE of cancer. :pfff: 

Add to that those of us that have Multiple Sclerosis or various other diseases. Of course, Nvidia should have been supporting F@H for a long time. Nvidia has just been too unconcerning with the real world in the past.

But now they have shown themselves unconcerned with gamers. They recently have taken on Intel, claimed that their new chips would be earth shattering fast, nobody understood how great they would be, and a lot of other BS. It makes me wonder if their whole design team and marketing staff has been on a group acid trip.

Yes, I'm totally disappointed in this card. It is a waste of silicone and an insult to games. For years I've alternated between ATI and Nvidia cards, but Nvidia is going to be left out and forgotten by me at this round.
June 16, 2008 3:57:47 PM

you never can tell, its possible the 48xx will be disgustingly crap as well....
June 16, 2008 4:07:15 PM

spuddyt said:

True, it could happen, but ATI hasn't been making such great claims for the 4870 as Nvidia has for the 280. I expect the 4870 will be a nice step up from the 3870, and it will carry a decent price tag to boot. But we shall see in another week when the reviews come out.
June 16, 2008 4:09:01 PM

Dude...participate in the discussion threads instead of starting offensive rants
June 16, 2008 4:09:02 PM

spuddyt said:

Since I alreaDY THOUGHT ati WAS GONNA SUCK...i CAN ONLY BE PLEASANTLY SURPRISED BY THEM...damn caps *gets can of "raid cap be gone"
June 16, 2008 4:11:52 PM

Yeah I also find the new Nvidia card a little disappointing. I think if ATI can give us a product that performs great at prices well below that of the green team we will see a shift in sales numbers. I am not a fanboy of either brands, I only want the best bang for the buck and it doesn't look like it's coming from Nvidia with the new gen cards. ATI has the door wide open to take back market shares let's hope they can deliver !!!
June 16, 2008 4:15:07 PM

Too all those offended by the lack of importance I put on the medical uses of this card, I am sorry. But I am a gamer and as most people reading about this card will agree they are concerned about the performance of the card in games, not how many scientific solutions it can provide in the coming years using folding @home. While I agree that, that is great, Nvidia has several other offerings in its professional series of cards that will do much better, (like the one based off the GT200 chip with 4GB of onboard memory). Please do not think that I hold no importance for the medical field and it's progressions, but unfortunately I believe the subject is wasted in this review of the cards capabilities when comparing it with last generations cards. Again I did not mean to offend anyone.
June 16, 2008 4:17:29 PM

Rumors have the 4870 a bit slower than the 280, but for much less money.
June 16, 2008 4:17:37 PM

I dont see the ATI cards being as much as a dissapointment as the GTX's. For starters AMD hasnt been strutting around town spitting on everybody, saying that they are the best and they are gonna prove it, blah blah blah. Instead theyve kept it tight, and showed some soft benchmarks of their cards on AMD Game.

You cant get dissapointed if it hasnt been hyped in the first place. The only people pumping it up are the people on this forum and other websites, people who know nothing about it other than numbers theyve seen. That stuff should be taken with a grain of salt and nothing more. Whereas you have Nvidia who have been hyping this card up for months, and look what happened, its a piece of ****.
June 16, 2008 4:19:05 PM

Nvidia is doing this on purpose because they hate Intel so much that they want to give ATi money in an indirect way, so they can catch up with Intel. I predict.. Nvidia and AMD will merge !

Ha haaaaaaa! :) 
June 16, 2008 4:19:13 PM

spuddyt said:

Ill be rocking my X850XT fer a long time !!!

We don't need no upgrades, let the motherf*ckers burn, burn motherf*ckers, burn.

PS: I know i need to upgrade it, but one thing at the time mmmkay ?
June 16, 2008 4:20:12 PM

I'm happy with what happened, makes my card an investment for now:D  lol...although 1 gig per PCB could've helped:) 
June 16, 2008 4:23:02 PM

In my opinion the performance is about on par maybe a tad dissapointing, bearing in mind this will give consistant fps boost unlike the GX2 which relies on games supporting sli, my favourite dx10 game doesnt...

The price on the other hand even for a launch price will be putting many off, I think this is where ATI's pricing strategy is bearing fruit, previously nvidia have never offered such high end performance at such low price points as they do now, making sli based solutions better value than ever before. Reducing the perceived value of this new top end product.

It has its uses but Im expecting the prices to drop rapidly once ATI have their cards on the table and the most die hard early adopters have been gouged - im normally one, but this is to much beyond the 8800GTX launch price to get me hooked straight away, It was a tough decision to pick those up at launch - this is a step too far, and this time ATI are going to be pushing on price sooner than the 8800gtx launch.

I can see why the cards are so high priced big chips, R+D costs etc etc, but I reckon theres wiggle room for responses to ATI's launch.

As of now my rigs are no longer "high end" :D 

But I do have to buy at least one new card by August as my sones getting a new rig for his birthday based on our cast offs and the 8800gtx was figured in the plan for his new pc.
June 16, 2008 4:25:31 PM

Sli and Crossfire are become very main stream, all the games that matter for now have them, Mass effect, Crysis, COD4, CSS, World in Conflict, WOW, And many many more (Bioshock, Unreal 3).

June 16, 2008 4:27:53 PM

MooseMuffin said:
Rumors have the 4870 a bit slower than the 280, but for much less money.

I can accept that. Having a 4870 that's a bit faster than the 3870, a bit slower than the 280, and a lot cheaper than a 280. Sounds good to me. Hey, I might be able to buy two 4870s for less money than one 280. That sounds even better.
June 16, 2008 4:29:35 PM

the 4870 is just over the 9800 GTX, from benchmarks and around the same price...so i dunno we'll have to see.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 5:04:53 PM

My new motherboard (Asus P5E) is on it's way and will be here tomorrow, my next vid card upgrade will be a Crossfire setup. Screw You Nvidia! And, I think all the Gx2 owners out there can be rather pleased with their purchase right about now. Even thought I bought it at 600+ it is STILL a 'better' deal than the 280.
June 16, 2008 5:20:58 PM

For now atleast. Like I said my friend has a quad setup and its working perfect...so yeah I'm not scared.

Remember an ultimate thing to do (but near impossible) would be to have benchmarks of cards with updated drivers....:) 
June 16, 2008 5:30:49 PM

dragoncyber said:
Who gives a crap about how fast they can cure cancer or render 3D medical images and scans of the human body.

Its good that the Florida-based OP has his priorities in order. ...good to know that while our men and women are fighting abroad he's spasmic over a underperforming video card for gaming. :sarcastic: 

...get a clue.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 5:32:22 PM

dragoncyber said:
Dear Nvidia,

I am obviously not the first one to state that they are entirely angered by the results of the recent GTX280 benchmarks. I have been an Nvidia customer since the original Geforce series, always trusting the reliable green team to be at the forefront of the graphics race.

Instead this time I am completely thrown for a loop as Nvidia expects us to pay 600.00-650.00 for a (New Generation) graphics card release that performs in most cases lower than a 9800GX2 which at the time of this report is actually 150-200 dollars cheaper, and once released will most likely drop even further.

Not to mention the 9800GTX which is basically on par with an 8800 ultra is down below 300.00!! Tri-SLi anyone?? Three 9800GTX's would out perform "Quad Sli 9800GX2's" and this has already been proven on several sites (AnandTech..Hello???)WTF is wrong with Nvidia?? Tri has already been posting great numbers!!

So obviously knowing this going into a release you would want to put something on the table that would blow the doors off your current best configurations. Instead we are handed mere 15-20% gains in some situations, and actually being beat in others. And of course they didn't post SLI tests here for this report.

The next thing that really gets my goat is selling a GTX260 card for 200-250 dollars less, and it has only an 18-20% decrease in performance as compared to your new shiny Top-Of-The Line. With a little over clocking and some good cooling it's the same card in performance tets. What gives??

Now the biggest embarrassment for Nvidia is that they are pushing CUDA technology and folding at home client CRAP!! These cards are designed for gaming!! Who gives a crap about how fast they can cure cancer or render 3D medical images and scans of the human body. Maybe 10% of the cards produced will be used for this purpose. The rest will be for GAMING!! What in the hell are we even talking about that junk for in this article?? Does that even matter when really what everyone cares about is will it beat the crap out of Crysis!!?? Will it Provide me solid gaming for the next 2 years?? Is it worth my hard earned money??

So far I am in AWE...Yes..But not the good AWE, the bad one, the I can't believe this is happening here comes the BIG RED DRAGON(ATI)breathing fire and brimstone , I'm a scared little peseant in a village AWE!! I am this close to throwing away my 790i board, putting my 8800GT SLi'd on Ebay, and switching over to a crossfire platform.

Again I cannot state again how utterly disappointed I am at this turn of events, and the worst part is that there will be no way they could do a GTX280 X2 card because the manufacturing process and die size are too huge, and too hot to combine them. They would literally have to redesign the entire thing, basically doing a new release all over again.

First of all, the pricing is similar to the 8800GTX when it first arrived. The only reason we see great pricing now is because ATI has offered competitive pricing, forcing those original prices down. nVidia has finally gone the way of ATI, making their cards capable of F@H and other things, things that will benefit not only pc user experience, but the quality of life itself. If fanboys hadnt got their pants in a bunch about single chip solution superiority, and quit pounding their chests long enough to see the clear benefits of it, we wouldnt have this misconception that the 9800x2 should be slaughtered by a single chip solution. nVidia fanboys went around saying "nVidias just waiting for ATI to come out with something, and theyre just sitting on a monster" Well, that monster is here. The hype was harmful, and maybe next time we wont believe all the hype
June 16, 2008 5:46:03 PM

cah027 said:
Nvidia is doing this on purpose because they hate Intel so much that they want to give ATi money in an indirect way, so they can catch up with Intel. I predict.. Nvidia and AMD will merge !

Ha haaaaaaa! :) 

what are you on boy and can i have some

spathotan said:
For starters AMD hasnt been strutting around town spitting on everybody, saying that they are the best and they are gonna prove it, blah blah blah.

will this be the start of that can of whoop-ass they where going on about
June 16, 2008 5:48:42 PM

So new performance level will be GTX 280->GTX260->9800GX2->4870->9800GTX->4850->8800GT. This is all based on slides provided by AMD and how the average performance GTX's are performing.

So how is that disappoingint?
June 16, 2008 6:01:25 PM

halcyon said:
Its good that the Florida-based OP has his priorities in order. ...good to know that while our men and women are fighting abroad he's spasmic over a underperforming video card for gaming. :sarcastic: 

...get a clue.

Well, not to flame here, but I don't see what blind flag waving patriotism has to do with this...some of us voted against bushtard, and the going to war until there was real evidence, and were still there with chimpzilla in office...but since we should just all cry about that and nothing else, maybe we should just close down the internet too and go use our time to put our thumbs up on camera and say how proud we are to be "merican"

I could see your point if he bitched about his card on an innapropriate site, but this is Tom's HARDWARE and not the I Love Bush site.

a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 6:03:06 PM

Exactly, its not disappointing if you werent swallowed alive by all the hype.
June 16, 2008 6:12:55 PM

bfellow said:
So new performance level will be GTX 280->GTX260->9800GX2->4870->9800GTX->4850->8800GT. This is all based on slides provided by AMD and how the average performance GTX's are performing.

Well for one thing, that's not true. The GX2 generally outpaced the 260, and it traded wins with the 280. And its $130ish cheaper.
June 16, 2008 6:16:50 PM

bfellow said:

:o 

No, no ,no it's all wrong

Ummm, actually, atm, I would say the GTX 280 and GX2 are almost equal and the GTX 260 is NOT better than a GX2. Also, I have a feeling that the 4870 is gonna be as good as the GTX260 and at a slightly lower price (I hope :)  )
June 16, 2008 6:17:25 PM

bfellow said:

because it's more like this:

9800GX2->GTX 280->GTX260->8800GT.
we' re not sure on the ati because they're not released yet...as far as (nda)

June 16, 2008 6:18:57 PM

bfellow said:

Not true, in most benchies from Tom's show the 9800GX2 slides in between the GTX280 & GTX260
June 16, 2008 6:21:47 PM

bfellow said:

^That's not what I've been hearing. Try something more like this: 4870X2->9800GX2/GTX280->GTX260->4870->4850->9800GTX->8800

4870X2 (and 4870 I guess) is obviously theoretical, and I put the 9800GX2 even with the GTX280 since it doesn't always scale well.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 6:22:10 PM

will the medical tech there doing is a great thing. But while there doing that they need to get back on the game. gtx 280 for 650$ screw that ill use that money towards gas money or junk food.
they were being arrogant thinking ati couldnt come back but hell ati is back better then ever.
lets see the "whoop ass" ati puts to nvidia.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 6:33:17 PM

hmmmm who gives a crap..oh yeah me. look at my avatar, i am not riding that wheelchair for fun...well there i actually am but you get the point. I actually donate 2 PC's i use to lan with that run 3870x2 + 3870 in each. Thats a lot of horsepower, when i am not gaming with four buddies, stanford has at its disposal. when the release the @home for the 8800 + series from nvidia, they get four machines from me.

As tech geeks spending so much on top notch hardware, the least we can do is donate some down time and gpu's. Folding@home gets a huge benefit in computational power from our bleeding edge hardware. while like you i am disaapointed in the games performance, i applaud any effort from tech companies to help science further its knowledge while keeping costs to a minimum. heck with just the addition of PS3's last year stanford jumped in the pico flops for the first time. think next year this time when most/all graphic cards can run @home 20x faster than a cpu or even better they start using all the GPU's and the cpu instead of just one like now. the more parrellel it gets. the better off we all are....for medical, dental, banking, and yes GAMING.

Can you imagine how much Number crunching power stanford would lose if everyone dontating reasources like CPU, PS3, GPU idle times...didn't. Lets just say our taxes to make up for it would be alot worse.

That said...seriously WTF with the games performance? unless sli scales perfect i see no reason to dump my 3 8800gtx's still! least i got my money's worth.
June 16, 2008 6:41:50 PM

Once Again( I'm posting this for the second time) and hopefully the last.

Please Read Below>>>

Too all those offended by the lack of importance I put on the medical uses of this card, I am sorry. But I am a gamer and as most people reading about this card will agree they are concerned about the performance of the card in games, not how many scientific solutions it can provide in the coming years using folding @home. While I agree that, that is great, Nvidia has several other offerings in its professional series of cards that will do much better, (like the one based off the GT200 chip with 4GB of onboard memory). Please do not think that I hold no importance for the medical field and it's progressions, but unfortunately I believe the subject is wasted in this review of the cards capabilities when comparing it with last generations cards.

Again I did not mean to offend anyone, as I too have family members who are sick and could benefit from progress in medical technology> I just feel that the subject has a place in other forums, and not in a graphic card review(which is specifically designed for gaming). Thanks- DragonCyber
June 16, 2008 6:52:06 PM

Hello jalek,

I'm upset at the fact thats it's been 18 months with hardly any real improvement in Nvidia's aggressive R+D department. What happened to the days of the 6, 7 series and 8 series when cards came out and provided a 75%-100% power increase over the previous generation, for money that yes while "High" was still a viable option to consider for the performance increase. Now we get 20-40% gains and are still paying the same cost for the increases as back then.

And yes I have been waiting for a year now for the release of this card, and saving money, only to get these benches posted.. Sorry if I am a little disappointed. If you dont like what I've written then don't read it.

June 16, 2008 6:58:49 PM

IM Scared....
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 7:15:07 PM

20 to 40% compared to? The Ultra? I think its more than that
June 16, 2008 7:47:31 PM

@dragoncyber: Claiming CUDA technology isn't for gamers shows you havn't really been following the next big thing in gaming, the introduction of realistic physics in games.

When nVidia bought Ageia, and with it the rights to their PhysX engine, with the promise of bringing physics to their cards CUDA technology was the reason they knew it would be possible. Soon every card with CUDA support will be able to do this. And should PhysX not be the winner of the upcomming Physics war, ATi and Intel will challange with Havok physics, CUDA will be the technology that makes sure nVidia owners will be able to switch to the Havok solution.

So when you claim CUDA is not for gamers you simply show that you haven't been keeping yourself informed...
June 16, 2008 7:48:15 PM

I don't think the 280 sucks entirely. For a single GPU it is very impressive. However is it overshadowed by multi-GPU solutions (SLI and X2 offerings). The worst part about this new thing is the price.

If nVidia announced the GTX 280 today for $350, and the GTX 260 for $275 do you think there would be such an uproar? No.

Pricing is the only reason this card is a flop (although the drivers could be immature, which would change the picture immensely with updates from nVidia - so long as they're in a timely manner).
June 16, 2008 8:09:41 PM

@jsutjc

No where in my thread have I ever said CUDA technology wasn't for gaming
or gamers. I said that Nvidia is pushing Cuda technology, and folding@ home client crap. The next statements were focused on the folding@home, (for the medical aspect)as I do not feel they are needed in the article, because this cards primary reason for being designed is for gaming.

However I do understand the Physics technology and it's purposes, but I will wait for the Physics drivers to become a reality, in a month or so before I comment on that subject because no one knows for sure right now if that will really work as intended, as far as replacing an independent Physics card.

As stated earlier I think what everyone here needs to focus on is that Nvidia is trying to charge 650.00 for a graphics card that in almost all respects is subpar for that price range. Personally I have a feeling that the 4870X2 will be the more viable option for most consumers, and after a year of waiting, not to mention just buying a brandnew 790i Ultra board, I am disappointed as are many others on this forum.
June 16, 2008 8:17:56 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
First of all, the pricing is similar to the 8800GTX when it first arrived. The only reason we see great pricing now is because ATI has offered competitive pricing, forcing those original prices down. nVidia has finally gone the way of ATI, making their cards capable of F@H and other things, things that will benefit not only pc user experience, but the quality of life itself. If fanboys hadnt got their pants in a bunch about single chip solution superiority, and quit pounding their chests long enough to see the clear benefits of it, we wouldnt have this misconception that the 9800x2 should be slaughtered by a single chip solution. nVidia fanboys went around saying "nVidias just waiting for ATI to come out with something, and theyre just sitting on a monster" Well, that monster is here. The hype was harmful, and maybe next time we wont believe all the hype

I agree with most of your points here except that I do expect the next generation to out perform the old gen multi gpu setups. For example look at the reviews from when the 8800gtx came out. It generally killed the 7950gx2. Just look at the hierarchy right here on the summary Tom's VGA charts. http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/desktop-vga-charts/overall-all-games-fps,572.html?p=1591%2C1601%2C1596%2C1614%2C1613%2C1597%2C1598%2C1600%2C1602%2C1643%2C1590%2C1599%2C1637%2C1635%2C1595%2C1594%2C1616%2C1641%2C1612%2C1583%2C1615%2C1592%2C1593%2C1589%2C1579%2C1581%2C1611%2C1574%2C1642%2C1636%2C1577%2C1586%2C1582%2C1628%2C1640%2C1634%2C1632%2C1631%2C1573%2C1608%2C1639%2C1647%2C1570%2C1633%2C1630%2C1646%2C1588%2C1578%2C1587%2C1638%2C1568%2C1645%2C1609%2C1572%2C1610%2C1580%2C1629%2C1604%2C1576%2C1627%2C1644%2C1624%2C1626%2C1607%2C1620%2C1571%2C1562%2C1566%2C1622%2C1585%2C1575%2C1569%2C1560%2C1567%2C1625%2C1623%2C1619%2C1603%2C1561%2C1565%2C1621%2C1605%2C1584%2C1559%2C1558%2C1606%2C1618%2C1564%2C1557%2C1617%2C1563
The 8800gtx's overall beats any multi-gpu, or single card available at the time. Prior to that a 7800gt would beat out 6800gt's sli'd. This is exactly why in the past it has generally been a better bet to wait for the next gen single card rather than double up on an existing card.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 8:20:15 PM

My advice? Dont drink the koolaid and research it first
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 8:23:45 PM

mmmmm kool-aid. <thump, body twitching on the floor>
June 16, 2008 8:24:25 PM

dtq said:
In my opinion the performance is about on par maybe a tad dissapointing, bearing in mind this will give consistant fps boost unlike the GX2 which relies on games supporting sli, my favourite dx10 game doesnt...

Yep. This is the fastest card in the world in all those games that does not support sli!

June 16, 2008 8:30:23 PM

bfellow said:

Good point. The 280 is not for everyone. Same as ferrari, It's expensive and it may be the most practical way of spending your money, but it's faster than Toyota... If you have the cash, you get impressive speed. Put 3 of 280 in you machine in sli mode and you can play even crysis at respectable resolutions. Oh, and not every neigbour have the same arsenal in their computers ;-)

a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 8:32:51 PM

No1s, I agree with what youre saying too, except since the competition forced nVidia to go x2, and weve seen mass improvements on scalability in CF/SLI, thats why we have what we have. As it pertains to a single chip performance, no, its not a 8800GTX wunderkind, but it it a nice increase in performance over the older gen. People got too hyped up, wanted another 8800. People drank the koolaid of those who said nVidia has been sitting on a huge killer card. Its nice nice card, tho it costs too much, runs hot, and may turn out to be fickle regarding heat issues/performance. The price will have to come down, and it will once ATI releases their cards, because from what Im hearing, you CX the new 4 series, and no one at all will be looking at these cards at these price points
June 16, 2008 8:48:03 PM

atomicWAR said:
no sadly its not....here's a link for sli proformance. again very sad.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3334&p=19

Why sad? The two 280 is definitely better than two 9800gx2's!

Quote:
While we'd have trouble recommending a single GTX 280 over a single 9800 GX2, a pair of GTX 280s will probably give you a more hassle-free, and consistent experience than a pair of 9800 GX2s.

Two GPU's scales better than four.
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2008 11:08:38 PM

i agree on the scaling. personaly running both CFX and tri-sli, any setup with more than three gpu's is a waste. three scale well, not as good as two nor as bad as 4. Its useful for anyone that has cash to burn on 1080p or greater resolutions with all the eye kandy on.
!