Accidentally deleted PCI drivers

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Windows XP
Dell Laptop - Latitude E5500
dell PCI device as it was displayed in device manager-
Rioch R/RL/5C476(II)

after having some issues with a new PCI adapter card we thought deleting the old adapters drivers would be the right move. unfortunately we think the actual PCI slot drivers were deleted and now cannot get them reinstalled.

In device manager it just says "PCI to Cardbus bridge" under 'other devices'. nothing registers when its plugged into the pci slot. I have all the driver discs from Dell and even found the driver on there and installed it but still nothing.
Also- I have TWO of these exact same laptops, so i have been checking the location of where the driver is supposed to be on the working laptop. Turns out all the files are exactly where they are supposed to be which has me baffled.

Try updating driver. When the device manager stalls wanting the inf file, look at what it's asking for. Cancel and then copy that inf file from the good computer and put it in the bad computer. Put it in the correct location so it can be found or be prepared to 'browse' to lead setup to it. Try updating driver again now that the inf file is present.

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
i guess thats my problem, i went on the good laptop to look what the file was and where it should be- went on the bad laptop (thinking id just copy it over) and found everything was exactly the same

I guess you missed what I said above, look at it again and do it... or, the good computer works, look for the problem in the bad computer.

You might try reading the inf file and see what it is trying to install, (files), and verify it will find everything it will be looking for.

Try updating driver. When the device manager stalls wanting the inf file, look at what it's asking for. Cancel and then copy that inf file from the good computer and put it in the bad computer. Put it in the correct location so it can be found or be prepared to 'browse' to lead setup to it. Try updating driver again now that the inf file is present.