Ruined CPU or Mobo?

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Ok, so here's my deal. I've limited my problem down to either my motherboard or my cpu being broken (possibly ram, but I'll try those again in a second to make sure that it's not just one bad ram stick or something..).

When I try to start up my computer, it's not getting ANY video feed at all to the monitor, and the motherboard does no warning beeps. I tried using a second setup that had a different cpu and mobo, as well as a different ram configuration, and that setup worked just fine. I know it's not my psu and gpu, as I have new ones of those as is.

I tried running a little test which parts are broken as well. After powering it up, as mentioned, there were no beeps (just cpu, mobo, ram, and gpu attached). Then I took out the gpu, and still no beeps on bootup. Then I took out the ram, and it would start chirping. I know this means something, but I'm not sure WHAT yet? Any advice?

I'm about to pull off my heatsink and take a look at my cpu to see if I can find anything, or see if the test works on that. Lastly, I overclocked my cpu (not much.. but a little bit nonetheless). If it WAS my cpu that died, does that mean I shouldn't even try contacting Intel? My relevant parts are:

ASUS P5K Deluxe wifi
Intel e6600 x64
Corsair Dominator (2x1GB) *and I'll have to look at model number if it's important).

Any other tests I can run, or advice from anyone? Thanks!

hnml24

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
yep ...
try putting some new CPU with exactly the same mobo and ram and all that,
if it doesn't work , try putting your CPU ram and all the devices on some other mobo .. just for the test.

you need to try to separate the problem from all of your devices, switching alternately between the devices.

hope it helped you,
Noam

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Have you had you GPU working on a different mobo? Getting new components dead on arrival happens. Also try using a single stick and then swap them over, use the first slot when testing this.

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I only have 2 mobos.. and unfortunately, it's an intel mobo, and an amd mobo. I've tested that the GPU works just fine, as it works on my other mobo (amd one). However, I can't drop my cpu into another mobo, as I don't have another one that has the right socket for it.

Also, I took the cpu out, and there is absolutely no physical damage on that, or on the socket. I replaced the RAM, as well as tried them in the different slots, but this did not work either. It HAS to be the cpu or the mobo.. or both.

And lastly, power goes THROUGH the mobo.. at least a "signal" does anyways. When I turn the case on, it triggers all of the fans (including the gpu and the cpu heatsink), and there ARE lights that light up on the mobo. For example, there's a green light that lights up when everything is hooked up correctly, and a red light that shines when I have the graphics card in crooked (I tilted the card a little bit as to make sure the light would turn on). HOWEVER.. normally a green light comes on for the wifi-application, and that did NOT turn on at all. Again, the ONLY time I hear the mobo beeping at ALL, is when I have no ram in it, then it beeps uncontrollably.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Ok well we know its not the GPU which is great news. Usually the more high end a board is the better the testing so I am going to assume your mainboard is ok. You said:

"Lastly, I overclocked my cpu (not much.. but a little bit nonetheless)."

This might be a silly question but did you give the cpu more juice? Also are you sure you didn't overvolt it for a modest overclock? Also if it's not booting have you done a cmos clear and personally checked that all bios setting are standardised again? I would clear the cmos personally and see if i can't get a standard boot going.