Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Partition using computer management not giving alot of space

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2009 7:21:30 PM

im using computer management to partition a drive on my notebook, its a 300gb hard drive with 250gb fee space, i want to partition 100gb but the most it will let me is about 35gb, how can i make it larger? i have been using the following sites for referance but still dont understand why its giving me a hard time

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t11.html

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/25298/Can_I_...
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 11:10:46 PM

need more information.

is this a separate data drive... the boot drive?

etc

what other partitions are on the drive..

you can include a pic It would help alot.
Related resources
a c 327 G Storage
September 8, 2009 4:20:53 AM

Hold on, you say your 300 GB HDD has FREE SPACE of 250 GB. The term FREE SPACE normally shows up in the context of a fully Partitioned and Formatted drive, to tell you how much space has yet to be used on it. So if you have 250 GB of "Free Space" on a Partition, that Partition must already be over 250 GB. Now, a "300 GB" hard drive (by HDD maker's count) will actually have 280 GB in the numbers that M$ Windows uses. So I'd estimate you have less than 30 GB available.

So, maybe I'm wrong about what you said. In Disk Manager in the lower right-hand pane, on the block that represents your hard drive, what does it show you about the size of the existing Partition that actually is being used with a letter name, etc? (It will be the C: drive if it's your only one.) What does it show you with the label "Unallocated Space"? It is the Unallocated Space you can use to crate a Partition.
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 4:40:39 AM

+1

thats pretty much exactly what I was thinking.. however you must have seen that people use incorrect terminology quite frequently here.. So I asked for details before assuming anything.

also if its already partitioned and its the boot partition good luck shrinking it without a third party utility... so that you could make another partition.
September 8, 2009 8:24:10 AM

its a 300gb hdd, 10gb set away for "recovery" done by sony, shows 171gb free space on C only cause thers about 70-80gb of personal files witch is the reason i want to do this, to transfer the files as im doing a clean install of windows, i know i can do the partition using the computer managment cause ive already did it, but then delieted it cause it was not enough space, i created an Unallocated Space using space from the C drive (shrink volume) and then formatted it, everything worked fine and as it should, but its just not giving me enough space, see link for screen shots http://hamilton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=15428...
a c 327 G Storage
September 8, 2009 1:42:40 PM

Thanks for the details, now I understand better.The 300 GB IS in M$ counting terms, and the disk has one major Partition used as C: of 288 GB size, with no Unallocated Space.

I am intrigued that you say you have already used Disk Manager to shrink the C: Partition, but then deleted it because it was not large enough for your plans. I always understood that Windows would not change the Boot Partition. Either I misunderstood, or you have used a third party package to do this.

I am not sure why the tool you are using will not allow you to shrink the C: Partition by 100 GB. The only thoughts I can suggest are to ensure that the files on your C: drive are cleanly organized. In other words, make sure you have emptied the Recycle Bin and then run a Defragmentation operation on it. Now, I would assume that is so obvious that any third party package that will shrink a Partition will do those jobs automatically, but I just do not know.
September 9, 2009 6:48:14 PM

i used disk clean up and checked all boxs, also cleaned up system restore files and defraged before re-creating the partition
September 9, 2009 7:20:39 PM

as for the EASEUS Partition Master 4.0 Home Edition, it will not install due to running 64bit OS

Best solution

a c 327 G Storage
September 10, 2009 2:11:57 PM

My bad. I was wrong about an important detail here. I believed Windows would not change the size of the boot partition. That was true up to Win XP, but as of Vista it WILL do that job. You already have used those tools, but it is still limiting what it does, and I'm not sure why. However, I found out recently Windows also balks at doing that sort of thing on a drive that contains the paging file, which by default is created on the C: drive. But you can run without this file system, so it is safe to temporarily remove it, then re-establish it when you are finished your changes. See if this sequence will work.

1. If necessary, use disk Management to delete the last Partition - the one you created to hold the G: drive of 34 GB. That space at the end of the drive will revert to Unallocated.
2. Get rid of the paging file. Click Start ... Control Panel ... System and choose the "Advanced" tab. In the top "Performance" section click on the "Settings" button, choose the new "Advanced" tab, then go to the "Virtual Memory" section at the bottom to click the "Change" button. (Windows buries this so you won't get here by mistake and make unwise changes!) COPY DOWN THE CURRENT SETTINGS so you can restore them later. Then click on the "No paging file" button, then "Set" and "OK". As you back out of here, Windows will give you dire warnings that a paging file system is important, and it is. But confirm that you want to do this, and you will have to reboot your machine to make it happen. The paging file system is how Windows makes big chunks of memory available when needed, so do not try to run any big applications of handle large files while you are in this state.
3. Empty the Recycle bin, and run a Disk Defrag if you think it necessary.
4. Go back into Disk Manager and try once again to Shrink your C: drive by 65 to 70 GB. It should take this off the end of the drive, leaving you with one large contiguous block of Unallocated Space around 100 GB. If it does co-operate here, you can proceed to create the new Partition to host the G: drive you want, then format it, etc. as you already know how.
5. Reboot to verify that all the drives are set up and operating OK.
6. Go back into the place where the paging file system is controlled (item 2). This time re-create the settings you had copied down and confirm your choices. Again, you will have to exit out of these tools and reboot to establish the system. IF things go as hoped, you should be where you wanted to be.

Whatever the result, post here to let us know. If this does not work, maybe somebody else can help.
September 10, 2009 10:29:44 PM

didnt work, still only gives me 35gb
September 11, 2009 3:09:02 AM

woo hoo found a solution, downloaded and installed Partition Wizard Home Edition 4.1 and worked like a charm, took a wile but got it done, i wish i could of done it without 3rd party software but i guess i had no choice, thanks for all the help guys
a c 327 G Storage
September 11, 2009 3:02:19 PM

Woo Hoo! Indeed! Thanks for letting us know that you got it solved, and how. Everyone loves a happy ending.
a c 351 G Storage
September 11, 2009 5:04:27 PM

Windows vista shrink should work - Just takes a little work.
Wife bought a new (EL Cheapo) computer last night, 320 gig HDD, all "C" drive. She needed a D and E. Shrink would only allow drive C to shrink to 160 Gigs.

Found this googling vista shrink

1. Disable System Restore
2. Disable the pagefile ( Open up System in Control Panel, then Advanced
System Settings \ Advanced \ Performance \ Advanced \ Change \ No Paging
File.
3. In the same Advanced Settings, go to Startup and Recovery \ Settings and
then change the Write debugging information drop-down to “None” to disable
the kernel memory dump.
4. Disable Hibernation mode in your power options \ advanced power options
screen.
5. Reboot the machine, and then delete your c:\pagefile.sys file, following these
instructions if you are having issues.

Empty Trash can.

My comments:
Could not delete Pagefile.sys - Attribute was set to SH and could not change using Attrib command. I set min max both to "0" Vista baulked at this. Then changed back to page file = None ADDED to see this file you need to (1) enable folder option to view System and hidden files or (2) from a dos window go to "C" root directory - enter "cd C:\" and then enter "Dir pagefile.sys /A:h"

On Hibernation. You need to right click on Dos Prompt and run with admin priv.
Enter "powercfg -h off" without quotes Don't forget when done to redo this changing off to on.

Also disable indexing - Don't know where on HDD this file is placed - re-enabled when completted.

Run vista "disk cleanup" (accessories/Tools). Reboot

Don't forget you enter the size to shrink NOT the size you want the "C" drive to be (ie I wanted C to be 100 Gigs. So I entered Size of Particition - 100 Gigs ( I entered Approx 194 gigs), Could have gone lower, Initially shrink would only allow a shrink value of 158 Gigs.
!