First PC Question of the Day

Last response: in Video Games
August 16, 2005 2:19:27 AM

http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html

More about : question day

August 16, 2005 2:19:28 AM

On 15 Aug 2005 22:19:27 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html

The fan's easy! Just plug in a molex connector from the power supply.
What's nice is it has a passthrough male connector so you're not
really giving up a power line.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html

These are 4-pin Molex connectors. Just plug it into one of the Molex
connectors coming from the power supply. The other connector coming from
the split is just to extend the connector so you can use it for something
else also, such as another fan.

Quixote
August 16, 2005 4:16:48 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> The fan's easy! Just plug in a molex connector from the power supply.
> What's nice is it has a passthrough male connector so you're not
> really giving up a power line.

> These are 4-pin Molex connectors. Just plug it into one of the Molex
> connectors coming from the power supply. The other connector coming
> from the split is just to extend the connector so you can use it for
> something else also, such as another fan.
>
> Quixote

Rokay! I'm of to do battle!!

August 16, 2005 4:39:39 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Rokay! I'm of to do battle!!

HOT DAMN! Mission accomplished!

But let me get a couple of pics posted to explain,
and ask just a couple more questions.........

August 16, 2005 5:11:22 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> But let me get a couple of pics posted to explain,
> and ask just a couple more questions.........

Okay, ready!
http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

August 16, 2005 5:11:23 AM

> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> But let me get a couple of pics posted to explain,
>> and ask just a couple more questions.........
>

> Okay, ready!
> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html

Doh! My goof. Looking things over.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:11:23 AM

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> But let me get a couple of pics posted to explain,
>> and ask just a couple more questions.........
>

> Okay, ready!
> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html
>
> --
> {{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>>^,,^< Miracle

Okay remove the red one from the USB header. The Firewire port is the
larger of the two, to the further most right in the picture and shaped like
this:
_____________
| \
| |
|____________ /

I have no idea what the middle, small port is. It may be a connection for
something called uGuru clock. A little extra component available for some
Abit boards.

Also, your case should have some sort of manual or legend to describe the
wiring, or at least tags on the wires. I suppose the front temperature
panel requires power, or another fan in there maybe?

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:11:24 AM

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>> Miracle Smith wrote:
>>> But let me get a couple of pics posted to explain,
>>> and ask just a couple more questions.........
>>

>> Okay, ready!
>> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html
>
> Doh! My goof. Looking things over.
>
> Quixote

The firewire is on the far right. Looks like this:

___________
| \
| |
|___________ /

The small port between the firewire and the USB is a mystery, so don't even
use that one now. It may be for an add-on component called the Guru Clock
that is available separately from Abit.

As for the Molex wires coming from the case, I suppose the temperature
readout in front of the case needs power, but there seem to be several
there. The case should have come with a legend or manual, or at least tags
on the wires with names.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:11:25 AM

> "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> Okay, ready!
>>> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html
>>
>> Doh! My goof. Looking things over.
>>
>> Quixote
>
> The firewire is on the far right. Looks like this:
>
> ___________
> | \
> | |
> |___________ /
>

> The small port between the firewire and the USB is a mystery, so don't
> even use that one now. It may be for an add-on component called the Guru
> Clock that is available separately from Abit.
>
> As for the Molex wires coming from the case, I suppose the temperature
> readout in front of the case needs power, but there seem to be several
> there. The case should have come with a legend or manual, or at least
> tags on the wires with names.
>
> Quixote

LOL, sorry for the almost duplicate posts, thought I had deleted the first
one instead of sending. Okay, seems the small port may be a 4-wire firewire
port, and the larger a 6-wire firewire port. If you don't use firewire I
really would suggest not using either one. You already have one firewire
port on the back panel.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:11:26 AM

> "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message

>>> Doh! My goof. Looking things over.
>>>
>>> Quixote
>>
>> The firewire is on the far right. Looks like this:
>>
>> ___________
>> | \
>> | |
>> |___________ /
>>

>> The small port between the firewire and the USB is a mystery, so don't
>> even use that one now. It may be for an add-on component called the Guru
>> Clock that is available separately from Abit.
>>
>> As for the Molex wires coming from the case, I suppose the temperature
>> readout in front of the case needs power, but there seem to be several
>> there. The case should have come with a legend or manual, or at least
>> tags on the wires with names.
>>
>> Quixote
>>

> LOL, sorry for the almost duplicate posts, thought I had deleted the first
> one instead of sending. Okay, seems the small port may be a 4-wire
> firewire port, and the larger a 6-wire firewire port. If you don't use
> firewire I really would suggest not using either one. You already have
> one firewire port on the back panel.
>
> Quixote

Okay, forgot about all the lights on the front of that case. That would
account for that. I would try to wire all of that stuff together with a the
fans on a single rail of the power supply.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:10:14 AM

> Okay remove the red one from the USB header. The Firewire port is the
> larger of the two, to the further most right in the picture and
> shaped like this:
> _____________
>> \
>> |
>> ____________ /

Okay! <scurries there and back>

Done deal, plus I got lucky, as I had the firewire on the
correct doohickey!!

> I have no idea what the middle, small port is. It may be a
> connection for something called uGuru clock. A little extra
> component available for some Abit boards.

Way down at the right-hand bottom corner there's a pin
array marked "GURU 1". Looks like this: [ooo o]. Beats me.

> Also, your case should have some sort of manual or legend to describe
> the wiring, or at least tags on the wires. I suppose the front
> temperature panel requires power, or another fan in there maybe?
>
> Quixote

Nada. Not one single piece of paper. No tagged anything.
Just a packing slip in the outer box from NewEgg.

August 16, 2005 10:10:15 AM

>> Okay remove the red one from the USB header. The Firewire port is the
>> larger of the two, to the further most right in the picture and
>> shaped like this:
>> _____________
>>> \
>>> |
>>> ____________ /
>

> Okay! <scurries there and back>
>
> Done deal, plus I got lucky, as I had the firewire on the
> correct doohickey!!
>
>> I have no idea what the middle, small port is. It may be a
>> connection for something called uGuru clock. A little extra
>> component available for some Abit boards.
>
> Way down at the right-hand bottom corner there's a pin
> array marked "GURU 1". Looks like this: [ooo o]. Beats me.
>
>> Also, your case should have some sort of manual or legend to describe
>> the wiring, or at least tags on the wires. I suppose the front
>> temperature panel requires power, or another fan in there maybe?
>>
>> Quixote
>
> Nada. Not one single piece of paper. No tagged anything.
> Just a packing slip in the outer box from NewEgg.

Please tell me you got the more recent posts....

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:32:43 AM

> LOL, sorry for the almost duplicate posts, thought I had deleted the
> first one instead of sending. Okay, seems the small port may be a
> 4-wire firewire port, and the larger a 6-wire firewire port. If you
> don't use firewire I really would suggest not using either one. You
> already have one firewire port on the back panel.
>
> Quixote

Hey, it's a wonder to me that you haven't run away screaming!
So a duplicate post is more than understandable!

I went and looked at the interface my newest Minolta uses,
and it looks to be exactly like the smaller firewire port. Can I
hook that up the same way you said? Otherwise, I can't see a
way to download the memory stick. Hmmmmm........

August 16, 2005 10:32:44 AM

>> LOL, sorry for the almost duplicate posts, thought I had deleted the
>> first one instead of sending. Okay, seems the small port may be a
>> 4-wire firewire port, and the larger a 6-wire firewire port. If you
>> don't use firewire I really would suggest not using either one. You
>> already have one firewire port on the back panel.
>>
>> Quixote
>

> Hey, it's a wonder to me that you haven't run away screaming!
> So a duplicate post is more than understandable!
>
> I went and looked at the interface my newest Minolta uses,
> and it looks to be exactly like the smaller firewire port. Can I
> hook that up the same way you said? Otherwise, I can't see a
> way to download the memory stick. Hmmmmm........

If your camera uses 4-wire firewire then you could just connect the wires
that correspond to that port to the 1394 header. Be sure though, because
the small end of a USB cord to camera's look similar on the camera end.
Like I said, if you don't have anything that uses firewire then just don't
hook up either, they are not necessary for function.

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:33:44 AM

> Okay, forgot about all the lights on the front of that case. That
> would account for that. I would try to wire all of that stuff
> together with a the fans on a single rail of the power supply.
>
> Quixote

Okie doke. Looks easy! :)

August 16, 2005 11:10:41 AM

> Please tell me you got the more recent posts....
>
> Quixote

Rut-roh. Let me count.......

Your first at 1:50pm my time.

Then 9 posts, then this one at 11:14pm my time.

So a total of 11 from you today, the 15th.

That help?

August 16, 2005 11:10:42 AM

>> Please tell me you got the more recent posts....
>>
>> Quixote
>

> Rut-roh. Let me count.......
>
> Your first at 1:50pm my time.
>
> Then 9 posts, then this one at 11:14pm my time.
>
> So a total of 11 from you today, the 15th.
>
> That help?

I lost count. I just know that I kept responding to myself... no you
didn't... yes you did... no you didn't... yes you did.....

Quixote
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 11:39:02 AM

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in

> LOL, sorry for the almost duplicate posts, thought I had deleted the
> first one instead of sending. Okay, seems the small port may be a
> 4-wire firewire port, and the larger a 6-wire firewire port. If you
> don't use firewire I really would suggest not using either one. You
> already have one firewire port on the back panel.

Yep, the small connector in back is a 4-pin Firewire. I'm doing Firewire
driver development right now so I'm getting intimately familiar with the
damn things.

The 6 wire connector adds a power pair, so you can power equipment from it.
The 4 wire connector only supplies the transmit and receive pairs, so the
remote device has to find its own power somewhere.

The latest kernel debugger can use Firewire so I can run it on my laptop to
debug the driver under test on my desktop. (I can use one Firewire card
running the test driver and a second card as the debug port.) The laptop
has a 4-wire connector and I have a 4-to-6 cable to connect it to the 6-
wire connector on the desktop machine.
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 12:35:03 AM

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>>> Please tell me you got the more recent posts....
>>>
>>> Quixote
>>

>> Rut-roh. Let me count.......
>>
>> Your first at 1:50pm my time.
>>
>> Then 9 posts, then this one at 11:14pm my time.
>>
>> So a total of 11 from you today, the 15th.
>>
>> That help?
>
> I lost count. I just know that I kept responding to myself... no you
> didn't... yes you did... no you didn't... yes you did.....
>
> Quixote

ROFL That is so *me* until about 2:00pm. I feel like I'm
on autopilot until early afternoon. It must take a boatload of caffeine
to get my blood moving.
"ZombieMomma"! LOL

<hoists cup of coffee in Q's direction> Cheers! :D

August 17, 2005 12:42:31 AM

> If your camera uses 4-wire firewire then you could just connect the
> wires that correspond to that port to the 1394 header. Be sure
> though, because the small end of a USB cord to camera's look similar
> on the camera end. Like I said, if you don't have anything that uses
> firewire then just don't hook up either, they are not necessary for
> function.
> Quixote

At this point, I'm going to leave both disconnected, as I'm unsure
and I can always figure it out later, if needed.

~*WHEW!*~ ;)

August 17, 2005 12:47:26 AM

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Yep, the small connector in back is a 4-pin Firewire. I'm doing
> Firewire driver development right now so I'm getting intimately
> familiar with the damn things.
>
> The 6 wire connector adds a power pair, so you can power equipment
> from it. The 4 wire connector only supplies the transmit and receive
> pairs, so the remote device has to find its own power somewhere.

! Oh my gosh, this makes sense! My camera is powered
by battery, of course, so it provides its own. Still, for right now,
I'll wuss out and leave the firewire ports alone.

August 17, 2005 10:38:28 AM

> These are 4-pin Molex connectors. Just plug it into one of the Molex
> connectors coming from the power supply. The other connector coming
> from the split is just to extend the connector so you can use it for
> something else also, such as another fan.

Yep, it's basically an "extension cord" for one's disk drive that allows
one to steal power for the fan.

I hate those Molex connectors, though. The pins fit sloppy in the molding,
so it's tough to get them all lined up at once and seat home. You need to
watch out for the pins backing out of the molding when you seat them. I've
had that happen and didn't catch it and got really intermittent power with
one pin barely making contact. I was lucky that it didn't fall out the back
and land on the mobo and blow things up.
August 17, 2005 11:16:21 AM

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:38:28 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in
>
>> These are 4-pin Molex connectors. Just plug it into one of the Molex
>> connectors coming from the power supply. The other connector coming
>> from the split is just to extend the connector so you can use it for
>> something else also, such as another fan.
>
>Yep, it's basically an "extension cord" for one's disk drive that allows
>one to steal power for the fan.
>
>I hate those Molex connectors, though. The pins fit sloppy in the molding,
>so it's tough to get them all lined up at once and seat home. You need to
>watch out for the pins backing out of the molding when you seat them. I've
>had that happen and didn't catch it and got really intermittent power with
>one pin barely making contact. I was lucky that it didn't fall out the back
>and land on the mobo and blow things up.

Right! I've had that happen numerous times. And I hate it when the
malleable metal the contacts are made of begin to spread a bit from
their "tube" shape...

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--
Anonymous