Socket 939 Upgrade - 940 and AM2

Airmanator

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Hello, I was looking around for upgrades for my aging 939 socket CPU. But, I was wondering:

Would a socket 940 or AM2 CPU fit in a socket 939 slot?

Thanks in advance for the help.

randomizer

Champion
Absolutely not. There are two main reasons, one is obvious, one is not as obvious:

1) Socket 939 has 939 pins, socket 940 and socket AM2 both have 940 pins, so it is easy to assume that they won't fit without damaging the pins. Also, the pin layout on sAM2 and s940 are both different, so even though both have 940 pins, they are incompatible.

2) Socket AM2 uses DDR2 RAM, socket 939 uses DDR RAM, and neither memory controller can run the incorrect RAM type. I am unsure of what RAM s940 uses, but since it is incompatible for the first reason that doesn't matter anyway.

Airmanator

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Alright then, would anyone happen to know a great dual-core Socket 939 CPU? If so, I'd like to know. This single-core processor is a real thorn in my side for gaming.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

You will need to look Ebay for a socket 939 Opteron. Search for "opteron" (not Athlon) and look for a Opteron 165, 170, 175 (1.8Ghz, 2.0Ghz, 2.2Ghz) socket 939 (not socket 940!!). These are the best overclockers. Second hand should be fine for these chips (as they are server grade). I bought a couple of Opteron 165's recently for second-hand budget builds. They overclock to 2.8Ghz on air without much difficulty (well on DFI boards :pt1cable: )...

You will need to bid on the chips - hoping that most people continue not to have much of a clue and bid for "dual core athlon", etc.!! :hello: Going rate for a v. good deal is 40.00-50.00GBP + postage (not sure 'bout the US might be less - but set a ceiling of $100.00USD for sure). Bear in mind these CPUs are no longer in production which raises their value (since a similarly priced Core 2 would wipe the floor with any socket 939 CPU).

If you manage to get a Opteron with bundled stock cooler - take the deal!! The heatsinks are server grade - massive lumps of finned copper with extra heatpipes. Lap the CPU heatspreader and heatsink base to 800+ grit and watch the load core temperatures drop to the floor!! I did take off the 70x15mm stock fan and replace it with a Zalman fan bracket+ Arctic Cooling 120x38mm (open frame) fan as well. Got 40C load temperature with dual cpuburn processes running for hours (in room at about 25C).

Just be aware of the needs for good VRMs on your MB and CPU compatibility (plus - ideally - overclockability). As long it can take the equivalent socket 939 dual-core Athlon (can't remember what they were exactly - I think an Athlon 4800+ was dual-core @2.0Ghz with 2Mb cache). BTW what is your motherboard??

Bob

Airmanator

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I am currently using a stock Asus A8AE-LE (AmberineM-GL6E). I was also checking Ebay for some dual-core CPUs, and I found some Toledo processors ranging from AMD Athlon 64 X2 3200+ to 4400+. Would any of these be a suitable upgrade from a single core AMD Athlon 64 4000+?

Airmanator

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I also am upgrading my video card. I'm currently using a GeForce 7900 GS, and I'm looking at the 8500 and 8600 series cards. Would any of these be a suitable upgrade for my PCI-E mobo slot? And if so, which should I go for? (feel fre to list and non listed cards, I'd be interested in those too.)

randomizer

Champion

The 8500 series would be a downgrade and the 8600 series would be a downgrade or sideways upgrade. You'd have to look at the 8800 or 9600 series to consider it an upgrade.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Do you want to upgrade or update... Cause you are in danger of getting newer components to stay on the spot...

If you really can't afford a decent card: 512Mb 9600GT, 8800GT(S) or the 4850; then get something like 256Mb 8800GT (as long as you don't want to play games in HD 3D this will be fine) or a 3850... Otherwise spend the cash to get something decent or just keep saving (since performance increases every year at the same price points)!!

Also like I said before go for a socket Opteron. There is no point upgrading from a 1Mb single core Athlon-64 CPU to a 1Mb dual core Athlon-64 CPU. You really do benefit from the full 2Mb 2nd level cache when gaming... You just have to be patient on Ebay (bidding a lot as you will probably lose most auctions) - it could take a month or two...

Here to get you started:
http://computers.shop.ebay.com/items/?_nkw=939&_sacat=80142&_fromfsb=&_trksid=m270
Anything from the 165, 170, 175, 180, 185, etc. is good. Do not bid more than $100 USD. You will lose a lot of auctions and it good take a month or more!! You'll just have to be patient... Either that or fork out the $125.00 USD to get a Opteron 165!! :sol:

Bob

nssone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Hi there. I haven't posted here much in a long time but I'm currently trying to research this topic for my own. I have an old ABit AT8 mobo that uses socket 939. Now, as I read this, it is safe to assume I can actually fit an Opteron of the same socket type into my mobo and it will work with it just fine? I don't need an Athlon 64 specifically, I can just use any 939 Opteron instead? If so, I would love to find and Opteron then because I never really got into OCing before and I would really like to try it. Thanks.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Yes it would appear the Abit AT8 is reasonable entry-level cross-fire board:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Abit/AT8/1.html

Like I said in an earlier post it is quite hard to get a decent price on the socket 939 Opterons now... It is a sellers market. You just have to be patient!!

The socket 939 Opterons are the processors to go for as the Athlon-64 X2 are snapped up immediately and hit ridiculous prices... Most on sale only have 1Mb cache (512Kb / core). The Opterons overclock really well and come with a 1Mb cache/ core.

Bob

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
before you bid on any more old crap price out a newer cheap system I hate u's suggestions are less than $200, and will serve you better in the long run. by letting you use AM2+ cpus and early AM3 cpus.

time to give the old netsurfing machine to grandma.

nssone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004
Yeah, everybody says that but I am looking to build a machine like this just to see what I can do with it. I only have the mobo, I don't have any other components so I'm going to just buy a bunch of stuff just to mess around with the machine. Probably buy some cheaper video cards I can xfire also. Hey, it would be better than the machine I have right now. I need something that can multi-task a little better also.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
your response suggests you are not made of money, and want more performance than you currently have. if you are seious at all about using crossfire, there are a few things.
1. you need to run ATI cards to crossfire.
2. that is very old tech. its PCIe 1.0 and in crossfire its 8x + 8x. that is 1/4 the bandwidth of modern crossfire setups, and it will have an affect on performance.
3. it makes no sense in buying 2 cheap cards for crossfireing. 1 card, less than twice the price will out perform.

as you are using an old board with old parts (PS, they don't last forever) I'd suggest spending less than $50 on an opteron 165 ( I have no Idea what they go for, but thats about how much performance worth you will get out of it)

Also remember, any money you spnd on memory will probably be wasted as you won't be able to use that memory in the future for anything else.

Iyou should stick with your current 7900gs graphics card. I think you'd have to crossfire 2600s or better to get more performance

unless your primary goal is watching movies on it, then the newer cards have better features.

I realy don't see the point of spending real money to build a system around a second hand board that you couldn't get $25 for.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
nssone

That is problem with hi-jacking threads... People get confused who has what, etc. ... I am presuming you don't have a GPU for that MB yet - right>???

RE: Groo's comment on Opteron pricing... You will be spending around a minimum of $80.00 on a Opteron 165 (unless bidding on Ebay is very slack). $50.00 is unrealistic me thinks (certainly I managed to get one in the UK for 40.00GBP but that was really fluky) - perhaps without a heatsink?? Don't forget socket 939 processors are no longer in production...

My comment on Crossfire earlier was not to say you should use - it was merely to say the board has a decent (AMD) OC chipset!! In fact quite the opposite as its runs as the MB will run the two PCIe 16x lanes as PCIe 8x lanes with 2xGPU Crossfire. Crossfire is rubbish with cheap GPUs as a single higher-range one is generally better... By the time you get to decent GPUs for Crossfiring your budget is shot (and also you don't have enough PCIe lane bandwidth).

A good budget gaming GPU like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125089
would do you nicely... Don't bother with Crossfire.

You could also look on Ebay for people moving up to 48xx series cards and selling 38xx series cards.

Bob