branden_stone

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I have a Seagate 500GB and an old Seagate 80GB. I’ve built this system and it’s not prebuilt whatsoever. I’m familiar with partitioning and etc… However, I need some second opinions and advice before taking action. I want to run a dual boot with Windows XP (which’s already installed) on the 500GB HDD and Linux (Ubuntu or Red Hat) on the 80GB HDD. I need Linux for running certain programs and Windows for certain programs. Can someone please help me correctly install dual boot and not virtualization? I don’t have a standard BIOS because it was built by Gigabyte.

imrul

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
restart the pc with linux cd inside. Just partition/format the 2nd drive with the linux cd. then install it there. the linux boot menu should let you get into windows as well as linux itself.

branden_stone

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I've been doing some hardcore research on Linux OS and I'm not sure what to go with. I'm looking for free open source Linux. Yes, I'm aware now that Red Hat is not free and the free version is actually a hacked version. I'm going to use Linux for running www.blender.org, music recording/editing software, and etc... I want this program to be open enough so I can modify it. Also, outperform Windows. Here are some I'm considering.

OpenSuse
Myah
Gentoo
Slackware
and etc…
Suggestions are always welcome.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
i have blender installed on the ubuntu 9.04 i'm using right now. i also have a dual boot with xp. used to be triple boot with windows 7.

what you want to do is install xp, which you already have. then install ubuntu on whatever hard drive/partition you want. ubuntu will install grub boot loader. then in ubuntu you will setup to detect the xp/ easy to do. from then on when you boot your computer, you will have the option of booting as ubunt or xp.

i recommend ubuntu because it's free and really easy to use. you can download both the kde and gnome gui. easy, safe. plus you can downlolad the os and try it without actually installing it on a hard drive.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
on side note, the graphics driver for support of my hd3870 is horrible. better to not install the drivers and have no eye-candy effects, than to have less than stable os. once i installed too many ati drivers and the freaking ubuntu stopped working. everything else is flawless.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

-Uhm, the free version of Redhat is fedora...and I have heard they are very similar...no let me restate that, EXTREMELY SIMILAR although I never used redhat so i cannot be sure.