Need help with motherboard/CPU selection.

Jdees20

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Hey, I have been away from the tech game for awhile and I need help. I want to build a system budget is the biggest concern, I have to keep it under $1200. I just need a system that is good and will last a few years dosen't have to be top of the line, but needs to run current games. Any motherboard/CPU suggestions... I just have no idea and I don't want to get stuck with **** hardware I thought looked good. Thanks.

Jdees20

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Just gaming pretty much.. I may download some movies, but thats it. Don't really care about resolution I've always used 1280 x 1024. I don't know should it be overclocked? is that a better route than buying a faster cpu you tell me.

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Overclocking takes time to stablize the o/c. It's not for everyone.

I think your best bet is a stock cpu & a good mobo. Start with E8400 & ASUS P5Q PRO. Pick out the rest and repost your selection in homebuilt.

ironsung

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008

arent more apps and games being quad optimized? i know that there are many games that had higher benchmarks on the E*** series over the quad core q**** series... but arent programmers going to eventually shift to the quads?

i mean it seems to me that the OP is a serious gamer .... so in my opinion, he should opt for the quad cores rather than sticking with the dual cores since games are being optimized for the quads as we speak... im pretty sure that the new games coming out will not be coded or optimized for dual cores anymore... if anything, its going to be phased out (this is just my foresight - theres a big arguement going around that programmers wont even go into quad territory for a while - but i beg to differ)

and i highly doubt programmers will even program games based on nahelem... not for years to come anyways... i dont see anyone (anyone on the regular level - which is regular people with regular computing tasks) even buying nehalem or needing it... so my point is that quad cores is the 'sweet spot' for years to come for us, regular people...

so finally....

i recommend x48 board... something like gigabyte's GA-x48-dq6 @ $285 which has crossfire option with both gpus running @ x16 speeds, also the 1600 front side bus will help decrease bottlenecks that gamers often experience
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128331

if you dont want to overclock, and seeing that your budget is fairly high (in my point of view), you mind as well get the fastest stock quad core processor, say for example ... intel q9550 @ 2.83ghz @ 1333mhz front side bus @ $570

hope this helps you decide...