Used RPTV - Bad Idea?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 29, 2005 10:10:57 AM

I'm considering a used 43" Toshiba RPTV. Here's the deal - given all I
read about these TVs having shorter lifespans than direct view, is this
a bad idea? The set is about 3 YO and the price is really good, but is
this something I should stay away from generally? The only other
option in my price range right now would probably be a refurb, and I
don't know how advisable that is either... Thanks.

More about : rptv bad idea

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 12:28:06 PM

In article <1125321057.930944.317570@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, D says...

>I'm considering a used 43" Toshiba RPTV. Here's the deal - given all I
>read about these TVs having shorter lifespans than direct view, is this
>a bad idea? The set is about 3 YO and the price is really good, but is
>this something I should stay away from generally? The only other
>option in my price range right now would probably be a refurb, and I
>don't know how advisable that is either... Thanks.

I don't think there's much difference in lifespan if it's a CRT RPTV. My first
one was 10 years old when I sold it and the new owner used it for several more
years. My second was 9 years old and the new owner is still using it. My
current set is 4 years old, runs 8 hours a day on average, and is doing just
fine.
August 29, 2005 8:17:33 PM

Thanks, Dan. It's a Toshiba 43HX70 with the following inputs:

1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN), 1 x Composite video/audio input
(RCA phono x 3), 2 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) -
Rear, 2 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear, 2 x HD component input
(RCA phono x 3) - Rear, 2 x RF input (F connector) - Rear, 1 x Center
channel audio input (RCA phono) - Rear, 1 x Composite video/audio
output (RCA phono x 3) - Rear, 1 x Variable audio output (RCA phono x
2) - Rear

So you'd pass? I thought the buzz on this unit was pretty good
overall, but my concern was more with the idea of a used RPTV at all.
August 29, 2005 8:58:06 PM

On 29 Aug 2005 06:10:57 -0700, "D" <guardianenzo1@aol.com> wrote:

>I'm considering a used 43" Toshiba RPTV. Here's the deal - given all I
>read about these TVs having shorter lifespans than direct view, is this
>a bad idea? The set is about 3 YO and the price is really good, but is
>this something I should stay away from generally? The only other
>option in my price range right now would probably be a refurb, and I
>don't know how advisable that is either... Thanks.

I have a 1988 Mitsubishi 45" RPTV that still works great. Had to touch
up some solder joints on the convergence board, but that was it.

You should be looking at what inputs it has. If the best input is
S-video, I would pass and find something with HDMI or DVI.

Dan in Denver

Click here for my current auctions
http://tinyurl.com/68o72

www.classicarcaderesource.com
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:12:53 PM

I have passed on two rptv sets to friends, both of whom are very happy and
still watching, one was a hitachi 4:3 set and recently a 16:9 pioneer,
cleaning the reflective mirror carefully will make a world of difference,
provided it is dusty. I upgraded to dlp so I could setup home theater in
the basement, 16:9 rptv wouldn;t go

"BillJ" <BillJ_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
news:D ev9i6014g6@drn.newsguy.com...
> In article <1125321057.930944.317570@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, D
> says...
>>
>>I'm considering a used 43" Toshiba RPTV. Here's the deal - given all I
>>read about these TVs having shorter lifespans than direct view, is this
>>a bad idea? The set is about 3 YO and the price is really good, but is
>>this something I should stay away from generally? The only other
>>option in my price range right now would probably be a refurb, and I
>>don't know how advisable that is either... Thanks.
>>

> I don't think there's much difference in lifespan if it's a CRT RPTV. My
> first
> one was 10 years old when I sold it and the new owner used it for several
> more
> years. My second was 9 years old and the new owner is still using it. My
> current set is 4 years old, runs 8 hours a day on average, and is doing
> just
> fine.

August 30, 2005 12:34:21 AM

D wrote:
> I'm considering a used 43" Toshiba RPTV. Here's the deal - given all I
> read about these TVs having shorter lifespans than direct view, is this
> a bad idea? The set is about 3 YO and the price is really good, but is
> this something I should stay away from generally? The only other
> option in my price range right now would probably be a refurb, and I
> don't know how advisable that is either... Thanks.

My 21 year old RCA 46" RPTV is STILL going strong...don't believe
everything you read or hear.
August 30, 2005 12:37:39 AM

D wrote:
> Thanks, Dan. It's a Toshiba 43HX70 with the following inputs:
>
> 1 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN), 1 x Composite video/audio input
> (RCA phono x 3), 2 x Composite video/audio input (RCA phono x 3) -
> Rear, 2 x S-Video input (4 pin mini-DIN) - Rear, 2 x HD component input
> (RCA phono x 3) - Rear, 2 x RF input (F connector) - Rear, 1 x Center
> channel audio input (RCA phono) - Rear, 1 x Composite video/audio
> output (RCA phono x 3) - Rear, 1 x Variable audio output (RCA phono x
> 2) - Rear
>
> So you'd pass? I thought the buzz on this unit was pretty good
> overall, but my concern was more with the idea of a used RPTV at all.

Don't pass...component inputs will do HD just fine and you're likely to
run that set for a long time.
!