Fresh Install Failure on New System SSD

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Here's the problem, when I boot up my genuine Windows 7 Ultimate DVD, and I get to the select partition screen and select one, it gives me the following error : Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057

I've tried what they outlined in this thread, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250282-32-major-problems-formatting-partitioning-intel-windows-install#t1842863
When I get to formatting the drive in Command Prompt it just stalls at 0% and says diskpart has encountered an error; the parameter is incorrect. see the system event long for more information.

I've tried changing SATA to IDE instead of AHCI in bios.

I've tried using a recovery disk for my Acer 3830tg, but it just stalls at 0%.

I've tried using a genuine Vista Ultimate DVD, but it doesn't even detect a disk drive.

It's a Corsair Force Series 90GB SSD F90 in an Acer 3830tg-6412 with 8GB of RAM.

Please does anyone have any solutions? I'm incredibly frustrated, as this is a brand new laptop.

Oh the SSD works fine, I was able to boot it up and run everything fine prior to trying to do a fresh install, which in hindsight is stupid :(

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
i don't have multiple partitions on it. i said when i get to that screen.
plus w7 makes a mini 100mb system partition and the rest is the OS files.

yes i had windows already on the ssd prior to throwing it into my new laptop.
it worked fine, but i wanted to do a fresh install/reinstall.

Funny you left all that out in your post. Which is why the entire post doesnt make any sense.

We are not mindreaders, how would we know you already had Windows and partitions installed on it? You stated it's a brand new laptop and you were putting in a brand new ssd.

A brand new ssd does not come with partitions on it. Yes we know Windows puts a 100mb partition, but you failed to tell us you installed Windows on the drive and then failed to tell us the problem was with the RE-install, not the install.

Don't you think that information would be relevent to your issue?

enonu

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011

At this point, why not reset the drive to 0, and try again? Get an Ubuntu CD, boot off that. Then in a command prompt type:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1M

where 'X' is the drive letter of the SSD, and most probably a, as in /dev/sda. If you have another drive connected to your system, and you don't specify the drive letter right, you will blow it away, so fair warning.

This will completely zero out the drive, and it should tell you if your laptop can even write to the damn thing.

Then try to install Windows 7 again, and let it be as automatic as possible w/ regards to formatting and partitioning.

You can also buy a 2.5in drive to external eSata drive enclosure for $30, and then connect the drive to another system. Be sure and use the eSata interface. Then use normal windows tools to verify the drive is working as it should.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Mmmm, have you tried providing Windows with SATA controller's driver during the installation process? Maybe the problem is with the controller's driver and not the SSD since the SSD was working in a previous machine and the machine used to work with it's preinstalled HDD and Windows 7...

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
@geekapproved troll much? lol. you went out of your way to flame my post for leaving out information, just so you can flame more and provide ZERO help? it isn't even that important, i just wanted to state that it's a working drive, and not a DOA. I said the laptop was brand new, I didn't specify it was a brand new SSD (title means New System, using a SSD). not my fault you only dwell on one piece of information while taking nothing else into account.

anyways you've wasted enough of my time. thanks to people who are actually trying to help

larkspur

Distinguished
You could try using whatever's Corsair's utility is to do a full erase (sometimes called "secure erase" of your SSD). If you can't get the SSD vendor's secure erase utility to work on your SSD in your new notebook then it sounds like you've got a bad SSD or a controller driver problem. After fully erasing that SSD try to install Win 7 again allowing it to do any partitioning it wants automatically. Win 7 should have no problems automatically recognizing a modern, clean SSD and automatically aligning partitions. Let us know how it turns out...

Edit: Oh, and make sure you set the BIOS Sata setting to AHCI instead of IDE. Switching between them AFTER doing an install forced me to do a reinstall awhile back :na:

adreen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
well this was my solution...i already thought about it when the problem first came up, but wanted to find a solution without doing so.
had to remove the ssd from my laptop, and plug it into my desktop. boot it up, goto disk manager and format the ssd in windows.
shutdown, remove ssd from desktop and plug it into the laptop. bootup windows and use the partition without formatting/changing partition. not a very elegant solution, but was my last ditch effort.