Sign in with
Your question

Question about geforce boost and overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
March 30, 2009 7:30:55 AM

so i have geforce boost enabled and have a water cooling setup. my 8500gt is overclocking exceptionally well however im wondering if overclocking the card is a bad idea. seeing as how i thought the chipset(8300) and video card need to have the same core speeds. whether or not this is true can i overclock the chipset to gain an even better performance gain and if so how do i go about doing it. Ive added a fan mod to the stock chipset heatsink so temperatures shouldnt be an issue for me. So far ive overclocked the 8500gt as follows:

core clock from 459 to 575
shader clock from 918 to 1155
and memory clock from 300 to 350. The ic chips let me know that 333 is a safe overclock so i went beyond that and ran ntunes stress test for 6 hours. I only had a 2 degree jump in temperature on the video card and no errors or artifacts using atitool's stress test. I also played needforspeed underground 2 for about an hour or two on mostly high settings at 1280x1024 resolution with no problems. Anyways any comments would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any questions that will help you help me, dont hesitate to ask. thank you in advance.
March 30, 2009 6:28:44 PM

roryadam84 said:
ok so i have geforce boost enabled and have a water cooling setup my 8500gt is overclocking exceptionally well but im wondering if overclocking the card is a bad idea seeing as how i thought the chipset(8300) needs to have the same core speeds and whether or not this is true can i overclock the chipset to gain an even better performance gain ive added a fan mod to the stock chipset heatsink so temperatures shouldnt be an issue for me so far ive overclocked the 8500gt as follows:

core clock from 459 to 575
shader clock from 918 to 1155
and memory clock from 300 to 350 the ic chips let me know that 333 is a safe overclock so i went beyond that and ran ntunes stress test for 6 hours and only had a 2 degre jump in temperature on the video card and no errors no artifacts using atitool and played needforspeed underground 2 for about an hour or two on mostly high setting at 1280x1024 with no problems anyways any comments would be greatly appreciated and if you have any questions that will help you help dont hesitate to ask thanx

Based purely on punctuation, it would appear you typed two very large sentences. Because of the lack of structure I'm not sure I can help you. :( 

I will say though, that water cooling for an 8500GT seems excessive.
March 30, 2009 7:51:12 PM

jerreece said:
Based purely on punctuation, it would appear you typed two very large sentences. Because of the lack of structure I'm not sure I can help you. :( 

I will say though, that water cooling for an 8500GT seems excessive.

alright so ive edited the 2 sentences above and yes you may be right about the excessiveness. but, its more for looks nonetheless.
!