gtx280's on newegg

phong850

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008

Is there really any other way of putting it? When does the gtx 260 come out? Tomorrow for sure right? I think I'm gonna get one. Maybe..

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

You think that's bad, they're £400 here in the UK. At the current exchange rate that's $785!! :cry:

I think the 260 isn't due out until next week. At any rate, you should wait until the 4800s come out as they may/should/hopefully will compete with or beat the 260. I'm surprised the OC versions are already out. I thought they usually took longer to be released.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Im sure people are going to have LOADS of fun putting these in their systems with the way alot of these motherboards are designed now. That stupid backplate is going to be colliding with plenty of bottom RAM slot lock tabs.

Its completely worthless, so are the are vents on it, it will actually do even more harm since its blocking alot of potential airflow from the front intakes and/or CPU/NB fans hitting the back of the PCB. And since the vents are right where the GPU is, you can forget about it possibly transfering heat to the metal plate. Totally stupid design, I think its the same crap thats on the 9800GX2.

For $700 a pop these jerks should have put a block of silver on it instead of copper/aluminum, that alone would shrink the size of the heatsink by about 15-25%.

royalcrown

Distinguished

blocking airflow from what front intakes ?!

Unless you case is the size of a box of "Teddy Grahms"..it'll be fine...

I think they know where to put the vents since they designed it.

spathotan

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Yea, they know so much about cooling. These are the same people that made/make coolers on some cards that blow hot air INTO the case towards the front. Efficiency/effect is the last thing on their minds, they go for the cheapest cost for bottomline effectiveness. This is why aftermarket coolers, or custom coolers like Sapphires Vapochill are much better.

LOL!

Where are the $399 GTX280s? :sarcastic:

Probably the same place as the $229 HD4870s.

Seriously people were dreaming up those numbers I tells ya'. Made no sense.

These cards may be a tough sell, but I have a feeling that they'll be sold out before the week is over because people will just buy 'the best' regardless of whether it's only a few frames / % faster.

BTW what makes me laugh a little hard for these cards is every one is $7.92 shipping, as if they couldn't throw that in for your $650-700 card. :pfff:

G

was seriously planning on getting one if the step up was amazing... but it wasn't...

so either wait for the next gen.../ the 4870 X2...

or actually wait till my 8800 gts 640 can't handle a game... besides crysis =P

the latter makes the most sense =P

gadgetnerd

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
was seriously planning on getting one if the step up was amazing... but it wasn't...

so either wait for the next gen.../ the 4870 X2...

or actually wait till my 8800 gts 640 can't handle a game... besides crysis =P

the latter makes the most sense =P

why not get the GTX260' s:)

G

^ because when I got the 8800 gts 640... I wanted it to last as long as it did... which is great... but if I had splurged and put 100 bucks more into it I could have gotten a better performing card the 8800 gtx which would last me till now and beyond... so now i'm going to the top every time in hope that it will last as long as the 8 series

but I guess for me its just more hype right now than anything else... I don't need a new card... I probably won't till early/ mid 2009... and by that time the next wave of gpus should be arriving.... so I need to just wait and cool my impulsive buying jets =D