Gigabyte board design flaw or reference board flaw ?

royalcrown

Distinguished
I wanted to buy a new Gigabyte p43 series board for the awesom layout and possibly the new 780g athlon (both full ATX), but after seeing problems with both exact models I looked at, it got me to wonder, "Is it just me or do the new P43-45 and 780G boards seem to have an unusually high number of doa and sudden death boards (as far as gigabyte usually goes) ?

What do you guys think ?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

You may be right. My recent experience with a GA-P35-DS3P is that it worked fine for 4 months, then i had trouble posting after a BIOS flash. Then it worked fine for another 2 months and then one day out of the blue, the onboard LAN disappeares altogether, it wouldn't appear not even in the BIOS!!! Then i started having memory errors, while testing for the memory in another computer as well as the same one, it doesn't produce any errors at all. Then i had some random reboots with no indications of anything and then one day the PC refused to restart again. It shut down, and never come up again. So i contacted Gigabyte and they said it is probably faulty and i should take it back to the vendor. And now i am stuck without a motherboard... waiting for this one to be fixed. At least it died in the warranty period so i probably won't have to pay anything!
Meanwhile i ordered another mobo (the old one might take 4 weeks to repair / send a new one), but surprisignly i got a Gigabyte again! I got a GA-EP45DS3P. I am waiting for it to arrive any day now. If that plays up as well my next buy will be another brand.

sorce7200

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I have a Ga-P35-DS3L and have had no probs with one exception,
intermittently the hi-def sound disappears for no reason and all
thats left is static and hissing. Re-booting resolves the prob which
leads me to believe its a driver issue. Time will tell.....

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I had a problem with an EP35-DS3L. It wouldn't let me overclock an E8400 past 3.2GHz. The problem was that it wouldn't allow the CPU voltage to increase, no matter what setting I put in. It would stay below VID. I ended up taking everything back to Frys and now have a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R with Q9450. I've had some memory errors but seemed to have fixed them by slightly increasing the memory voltage above spec...I got confirmation from Corsair that this is ok. Just remember that many motherboards have Vdroop...the voltage settings you put in may actually come out slightly lower. For example, my memory is set to run at 2.1V...but when I put that setting the actual was more like 2.07 or 2.08. I increased the voltage to 2.16V (actual is 2.13V) and it passed both Memtest86+ and the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tool. I like the board, although I hope mine lasts a while. I was forced to rebuild my computer after an Antec power supply failed and wiped out my Asus system with an old P4 670 processor. I'm not sure about Asus anymore either...my brother just bought one and it had a corrupt BIOS right from the start.

jeb1517

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
I currently run a 780g micro and have had no problems. Well, the original memory I had caused all kinds of problems (not a problem with the memory since its running fine in another system) so I had to buy new memory and system has been fine since then.

Pixaloop

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
royalcrown - My personal opinion..i dont think that the GB BIOS were fullt ready for primetime. I agree, they have an awesome layout but with the buggy BIOS....that awesome layout doesnt mean jack if it wont boot to windows.

I heard the P5Q was a solid board. I can also vouch that the MSI P45 Neo is a thumbs up as well.

I really wish I could have stayed with the My GB P43 but oh well.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Gigabyte just released a new BIOS the F7c for the GA-EP45-DS3P and guess what, it fixed all my problems! Like i said before and i told them too, releasing a motherboard without a proper BIOS was not a smart move, even for marketing reasons. But at the end of the day, it finally works as it should and i luv it! Gigabyte listens to their customers and respond quickly!