Sign in with
Your question

Raid 0 not seeing full size?

Last response: in Storage
September 7, 2009 12:26:10 PM

I just went to raid 0 2 500 GB HDs thru intel matrix controller and I am only seeing 1 500 GB hd as my c drive shouldnt I be seeing a 1 TB size?

More about : raid full size

a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 3:37:45 PM

Yes, the size of your drive C: should be 1TB........are you sure that the RAID 0 is activated?
m
l
September 7, 2009 4:36:14 PM

I guess it is it only shows a volume
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 4:45:01 PM

Do you have a card controller RAID? or the RAID is controlled for the mobo
m
l
September 7, 2009 4:53:15 PM

Mobo using intel storage matrix
m
l
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 5:01:19 PM

Ok, enter to the BIOS and in the advance options... find some option that say RAID, JBOB. Select the option RAID and save it.
m
l
September 7, 2009 5:07:05 PM

in the console it says both drives are member drives in the raid volume
m
l
September 7, 2009 5:08:21 PM

it also says raid in the bios and comes up when booting to the intel raid screen
m
l
September 7, 2009 5:09:24 PM

in explorer it only shows one drive the c drive with 500 GB
m
l
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 5:58:36 PM

The BIOS is configured to boot from RAID?.Is an uncommon problem, because if the system don't recognize both HDD, the system don't could be start up.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 6:00:52 PM

Before you start messing around, understand as soon as you do the correct things here in the correct order, you will lose EVERYTHING you have on both disks.
You must start all over from scratch, OS reinstall, programs, EVERYTHING that was on the disks will be undone when you build the array.
Read this all the way through, make sure your clear, and then start.

Enable RAID in your regular BIOS.
Make sure to disable any BIOS splash screen so you can see all that is happening during POST
Upon boot, usually about 2/3 of way through the POST session, you will now see a message something like "hit CTL-I" or something like that to enter the RAID/SCSI BIOS. You enter the RAID BIOS. From there you must build the array. Your RAID controller takes over control of the drives, and simply displays both of them to your OS as 1 large drive. Your OS has nothing to do with how the drives are setup or working, it is all handled by the controller.
After you have built the array, reboot and enter the regular BIOS.
Set RAID options for RAID as storage, or RAID as bootable.
Set the array in your boot order if you choose to make the array bootable.
Insert your Window install CD/DVD and reboot.
If you are running Vista, Vista has RAID drivers and should find the array, and give you the options to format, and start the install. For all practical purposes, Vista will use and treat the array as 1 large drive, do everything as if it was a regular drive. (as so will XP, but you must install drivers, XP does not have RAID drivers built in)
If you are running XP, you will have to make a driver disk. XP does not contain any RAID or SATA drivers, you have to supply them at install.

Do this while you still have a PC up and running, right now!
Get your motherboard CD/DVD, and there will be a program on it that will make a RAID driver disk for you. You can also use a thumbdrive if you don't have a floppy.

You must supply the correct RAID driver for XP when you do the install, (press F6 now to install a third party device driver) or the install disk will not be able to find the array. There will be several drivers that will appear in a window during the install for you to select from. Be aware there may be more than you can see on the screen, use "page up" and "page down" to see all of them. You must select the correct one for what you are doing. Select the wrong one, and XP will not find a drive to install it's self on.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 11:13:52 PM

as was said above it sounds like you have 2 500gb 1 disk raid arrays or something funky now.

m
l
September 8, 2009 2:56:22 AM

jitpublisher said:
Before you start messing around, understand as soon as you do the correct things here in the correct order, you will lose EVERYTHING you have on both disks.
You must start all over from scratch, OS reinstall, programs, EVERYTHING that was on the disks will be undone when you build the array.
Read this all the way through, make sure your clear, and then start.

Enable RAID in your regular BIOS.
Make sure to disable any BIOS splash screen so you can see all that is happening during POST
Upon boot, usually about 2/3 of way through the POST session, you will now see a message something like "hit CTL-I" or something like that to enter the RAID/SCSI BIOS. You enter the RAID BIOS. From there you must build the array. Your RAID controller takes over control of the drives, and simply displays both of them to your OS as 1 large drive. Your OS has nothing to do with how the drives are setup or working, it is all handled by the controller.
After you have built the array, reboot and enter the regular BIOS.
Set RAID options for RAID as storage, or RAID as bootable.
Set the array in your boot order if you choose to make the array bootable.
Insert your Window install CD/DVD and reboot.
If you are running Vista, Vista has RAID drivers and should find the array, and give you the options to format, and start the install. For all practical purposes, Vista will use and treat the array as 1 large drive, do everything as if it was a regular drive. (as so will XP, but you must install drivers, XP does not have RAID drivers built in)
If you are running XP, you will have to make a driver disk. XP does not contain any RAID or SATA drivers, you have to supply them at install.

Do this while you still have a PC up and running, right now!
Get your motherboard CD/DVD, and there will be a program on it that will make a RAID driver disk for you. You can also use a thumbdrive if you don't have a floppy.

You must supply the correct RAID driver for XP when you do the install, (press F6 now to install a third party device driver) or the install disk will not be able to find the array. There will be several drivers that will appear in a window during the install for you to select from. Be aware there may be more than you can see on the screen, use "page up" and "page down" to see all of them. You must select the correct one for what you are doing. Select the wrong one, and XP will not find a drive to install it's self on.

I set all this up in windows (vista) using the intel matrix storage console and it made a volume array 0000 and both hard drives are listed as member drives, there is no way to fix to have windows see as one drive combining the 2 500gbs right now windows sees it as 1 500 gb HD and does not even list the other drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 4:36:17 PM

did you accidentally set it up as raid 1 not raid 0?
m
l
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 5:01:46 PM

Doug63 said:
I set all this up in windows (vista) using the intel matrix storage console and it made a volume array 0000 and both hard drives are listed as member drives, there is no way to fix to have windows see as one drive combining the 2 500gbs right now windows sees it as 1 500 gb HD and does not even list the other drive.

Oh, no you will have to break the array and start over.
Building the arrays inside Windows is not what you want to do, well most won't want it anyway.
The Windows RAID tool is a form of software RAID that is not even remotely the same as true hardware RAID.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 5:51:19 PM

Doug63 said:

--------------------

You can't make an array from windows. The RAID is configured from the BIOS and the installation of the OS.
m
l
September 9, 2009 12:42:53 AM

Quote:
You can't make an array from windows. The RAID is configured from the BIOS and the installation of the OS.

I made it from the console in windows, when I go into the raid bios at restart it even says raid type is raid 0 striped gives option to restore to non raid disks also.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 9, 2009 3:35:44 AM

you can do the raid in windows with the intel matrix console.

however its not rocket science and magic you obiviously didnt do something right could you take a couple screenshots and post them.. I'm sure we could see the problem better... or you can start over make the array in the raid bios and reinstall windows.
m
l
September 9, 2009 8:37:25 AM

how do I post screenshots here?
m
l
a b G Storage
September 9, 2009 1:33:35 PM

Doug63 said:
Quote:

I made it from the console in windows, when I go into the raid bios at restart it even says raid type is raid 0 striped gives option to restore to non raid disks also.

----------------------------

You need convert both HDD in dynamic disks, before make the array. The restore RAID only work with dynamic disk and a previous array that failed for some reason.
m
l
September 12, 2009 2:42:52 AM

ok problem solved blew drives away and configured thru bios/raid and ran factory restore and sees both drives as one 1TB all is good now thanks for all the help
m
l
!