Sign in with
Your question

Question regarding SATA to IDE adapters

Last response: in Storage
September 7, 2009 12:42:55 PM

Hi,

I accidentally deleted my post so I will type it agian, but more briefly.

I am looking for a SATA to IDE adapter because the cable connecting my SATA HDD (Western Digital 250GB ATA100) to my motherboard (Gigabyte MA770-UD3) is barring the way for my new Graphics card NVidia GTX 285 (currently I'm using the smaller sized ATI radeon X1900XT).

Is it advisable/safe to use an adapter? If so, which one should I buy?

If you need additional info, I will gladly give it to you.

Many thanks, A slightly frustrated gamer :p 
a b G Storage
September 7, 2009 8:12:52 PM

Is safe...but the speed of reading of your HDD could be go down.
a c 342 G Storage
September 8, 2009 4:56:58 AM

Another alternative may be to use a SATA cable with a 90-degree (right angle) bend in the connector on one end. If you have a little space behind the drive, but not enough for a straight-out connector and cable, this might solve your problem.

Have you considered moving the drive to another mounting bay? Or maybe the problem is at the mobo end.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 1:28:08 PM

^ Isn't recommendable a SATA cable with 90-degree....the data could be lost.
a c 342 G Storage
September 8, 2009 2:03:02 PM

saint19 said:
^ Isn't recommendable a SATA cable with 90-degree....the data could be lost.

I've never heard that there is a reliability problem with SATA cables with 90-degree connectors. Can you link to any sources of this info?
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 2:35:11 PM

Paperdoc said:
I've never heard that there is a reliability problem with SATA cables with 90-degree connectors. Can you link to any sources of this info?

---------------------------

My apologies, I beleived that when your refer to 90 degrees, you refer to meant to bend the cable to 90-degrees.No to the conecction of this.
September 8, 2009 5:00:08 PM

The problem is the blue/grey thing. If the cable's angled 90 degrees, it'll still stick out, right?

Forgive me if I'm not that good in explaining, English isn't my first language...
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 5:49:08 PM

The 90 degree cable isn't a problem...
September 8, 2009 5:50:40 PM

Awesome, any suggestions where I should buy it?
September 8, 2009 6:16:54 PM

Ok. I just noticed that my cable isn't SATA. sorry ! Apparently it's a IDE cable, like the uploaded picture...
a c 342 G Storage
September 8, 2009 6:34:26 PM

You showed a picture of an IDE ribbon cable, but I think you have a SATA drive. I was thinking of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That one has locking connectors on its ends. I suggest the angled end at the disk drive - is ther enough space in your case for this?

Picture: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=12-1...

This next one makes the cable bend UP when pushed into the back of a SATA drive. One reviewer says it helped solve his problem of crowding with your video card on an ASus MOBO.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

Picture at: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=12-1...
a c 342 G Storage
September 8, 2009 6:43:19 PM

Oh, now I see. You HAVE an IDE drive and want to plug it into a SATA mobo port because the ribbon cable for it conflicts with the video card where the cable end plugs into the mobo's IDE port. Really? The mobo-end connector on the ribbon cable you showed only extends up from the IDE port connector about 4 to 5 mm. does the end of your video card come right down on top of the IDE port?

By the way, when you use a ribbon cable like that, you CAN bend the cable to a right angle quite close to the end connector if you need to, so it almost stands up from the mobo connector.
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 6:43:49 PM

Your mobo have SATA and IDE, if the mobo is new (that I beleive), your HDD is SATA too, so you need some cable like the first link that i post or the links that paperdoc post too.
September 8, 2009 7:15:41 PM

saint19 said:
Your mobo have SATA and IDE, if the mobo is new (that I beleive), your HDD is SATA too, so you need some cable like the first link that i post or the links that paperdoc post too.

Sadly, my new HDD doesn't have SATA. SO we're back to adapters...
a b G Storage
September 8, 2009 7:33:38 PM

Why you bought a "new" HDD that isn't SATA?
September 8, 2009 7:59:16 PM

Because the shop owner suggested it and I didn't really knew what SATA and IDE was, untill now... so..
!