FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I have a Seagate ES.2, 250gb HDD, it was used as a storage drive in Windows XP. I have removed it from my old build a while ago, and have hooked it up via USB adapter in Windows 7. It comes up as a working drive in Device manager but not in Explorer, My Computer, or even in Disk Management.

Since it doesn't even show up in Device Manager I can't assigna drive letter, I have restarted the pc, updated drivers, etc etc etc. Nothing I've tried seems to work so far, any ideas?

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I checked that too, it's weird because other USB devices will work fine like flashdrives, headphones, cell and so on.

I also have the same issue with a 2.5" external I've used over the years as an odds and ends storage drive. I'm wondering if Windows 7 maybe cannot see Fat32 o rNTFS on the other drives b/c they were formatted on xp machines?

foxy_roxy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
When I had the same problem, I downloaded a liveCD of Gparted partioning software, burned it, and booted the system from the live CD with the "new" hard drive attached to the system via a usb caddy. I then formatted this drive with NTFS, then rebooted the system into Windows. The hard drive was recognized right away. Hope this helps :p

Viking_AM

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
If you can get your hands on the Virtual Windows XP program, it emulates XP within a window. However, due to my limited use of it, I'm am not sure if it simply accesses the drivers which 7 runs from; (Fairly certain it has some independent drive functions).