Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 17, 2008 1:34:22 AM

was thinking of getting 3 gtx260's

or getting just 1 280 in cupple days.

then wait to buy anthor 1 when i can?

what you guys think.

More about : buy gtx260 gtx280

June 17, 2008 1:58:13 AM

Wait for the ATI 4000 series benchmarks before buying anything. Both new cards due out in 9 days.
June 17, 2008 2:02:16 AM

im not going with ATI thow but ill propbly wait i see a price drop maybe comeing
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2008 2:03:50 AM

dont buy the gtx280/260 there garbage get 2 9800gx2 which will cost u about 900$ and would outperform the gtx 280 easily.
June 17, 2008 2:06:21 AM

ati 4870x2 all the way baby! i'm so pumped for that card right now!
ATI you ******** give us another 9700 Pro please!!!

June 17, 2008 2:07:24 AM

Well if you can afford the 1200 for the 260's I would assume the 1300 for the 280's wouldnt take you to long to manage so I would probably go with the 280's. Then if you can afford another down the road sometime just pickup a 3rd (if you feel the need, but tri-SLI is not that great yet).

I sure hope you people aren't disappointed about the 4870's! lol, I would love a surprise, but I dont think they will be better than the 280's.

Best,

3Ball
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2008 2:09:37 AM

Dude,

Three GTX260s would be a waste of money and would not get you the results you are looking for. Plus it would require one TITAN of a power supply. Tri-SLI has not been perfected yet. Read the article below from Fudzilla.

# of GTX280 Cards 3D Mark 06 score Amount of Increase
ONE 14,800 na
TWO 18,000 +3,200
THREE 18,100 +100

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Quote:
We managed to get a few scores out of the soon-to-be-launched Geforce GTX 280, the fastest Nvidia card. In 3Dmark06 a single card scores 14,800, and we are talking about a high-end overclocked quad-core Intel-based system.

If you plug in two Geforce 280 GTX cards and enable SLI you will get a slightly better score of 18,000, and with the 177.34 drivers if you plug three GTX 280 cards and enable 3-way SLI you end up getting 18,100, which is not something to get excited about.

You obviously need a better driver for 3-way SLI for these cards, and we can tell you that these three cards need a lot of power and that all test were conducted on Vista 32-bit.

Each card needs approximately 215W of power and this is a lot for a graphics card. In 3Dmark Vantage, Nvidia will score slightly better, but we didn’t manage to get these scores at press time.

I agree with the other poster. Wait another week for the HD48XX cards to see their pricing and offerings. The Yields on the ATI HD48XX series cards have been excellent where as the GT200 yields for Nvidia have been as low at 40% which really drives up the price of the card. I think the ATI HD48XX cards would offer you far more bang for your buck.

Have you purchased a motherboard yet? If so which chipset does it have?

If you are buying a brand new enthusiast level video card whether it be a GTX280/260, or HD48XX card I see no real reason to go SLI are XFIRE. Any of them should have enough horsepower to run any game on the market at very high resolutions.
June 17, 2008 2:12:17 AM

rwayne said:
I think the ATI HD48XX cards would offer you far more bang for your buck.

Not everyone is looking for price/performance ratio! Contrary to popular belief!

Best,

3Ball
June 17, 2008 2:19:21 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Wait for red. 4870s, are gonna own.

AGreed from what i seen the 280GTX matches the 9800x2 in performance.
June 17, 2008 2:21:19 AM

kelfen said:
AGreed from what i seen the 280GTX matches the 9800x2 in performance pretty well. so ATI has a big change of doing really well and wining high end card.

thats because the drivers beta. once there out :D  :ouch: 
June 17, 2008 2:22:45 AM

gadgetnerd said:
thats because the drivers beta. once there out :D  :ouch: 

Dont get ahead of yourself. Yes driver improvement will help with performance, but not enough to really change the cards performance range.

Best,

3Ball
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2008 2:25:01 AM

gadgetnerd said:
i cant do ATI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i dont think this mobo will support it. or does it not matter with GPU's ?

If you already got an Nvidia Chipset Motherboard you could still go with an ATI card or a HD4870X2 but it would probably make more sense to go with an Nvidia card.

If you got the money then just get one GTX280 and see if you feel the need to go beyond that.

However I think an 8800GT would be quite sufficent and cost a fraction of the price. You can get them for as little as $159 on newegg. SLI two of those. It would probaly beat out a GTX260 and cost $100 less.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is there is no 3 way SLI driver for the 8800GT. However there will for the 9800GT but that is still a month away from being released.
June 17, 2008 2:27:50 AM

To Play it safe just wait a mounth after realease date unless you can not wait by then all the benchmarks ect will be out and actaully drivers will be out.
June 17, 2008 2:30:09 AM

no i cant wait but i can wait 9 days when ATI releases and see if the GTX280 drops down a lil bit. i wanna play in DX10 lol badly i saved for 3 years waiting to upgrade and im not waiting much longer.
June 17, 2008 2:38:16 AM

gadgetnerd said:
no i cant wait but i can wait 9 days when ATI releases and see if the GTX280 drops down a lil bit. i wanna play in DX10 lol badly i saved for 3 years waiting to upgrade and im not waiting much longer.

Yea I fell you. Sometime I am gonna go bang out with the best. probably 2013, I forgot the name of the theory but tech is supose to 18 mounths every year I think.
June 17, 2008 2:40:32 AM

shocking thing is 2 listing's of the GTX280's sold out allready this is scary
June 17, 2008 2:49:18 AM

gadgetnerd said:

Pretty scary :o  that does surpise me wow. and for 250 dollars more for what 14% performance gain over 260GTX.
June 17, 2008 2:52:47 AM

propbly some rich guy buying them all for himself lol.

but yea

ill propbly go with 1 GTX280 for now in cupple days. if the prices go down. if they do ill see if i can get SLI ;P
June 17, 2008 2:58:03 AM

gadgetnerd said:

Yea one of them is the one that I plan on getting if the 4870 doesnt pull something out of the hat and surprise me!!! Ggrrr.... was lookin to buy in the next 2 or 3 weeks!

Oh and I am lookin at the EVGA FTW Version lol

Best,

3Ball
June 17, 2008 2:58:37 AM

Yea what most probable situation ATI realeses thier new graphics cards and ATI will price competively they have since the 3700's series. considering ATI flagship the x2 from i read is suposed to be $500 that probably will jack down the 280GTX at least $50 dallors. considering the performance gain between her little sister is only 14%.
Yea and some rich guy...
June 17, 2008 3:00:01 AM

3Ball said:
Yea one of them is the one that I plan on getting if the 4870 doesnt pull something out of the hat and surprise me!!! Ggrrr.... was lookin to buy in the next 2 or 3 weeks!

Oh and I am lookin at the EVGA FTW Version lol

Best,

3Ball

the EVGA cards are the same but just overclocked. EVGA allows u to overclock so why not OC it to the CLock the FTW version has :) 
June 17, 2008 3:00:25 AM

gadgetnerd said:
the EVGA cards are the same but just overclocked. EVGA allows u to overclock so why not OC it to the CLock the FTW version has :) 

the core is only 670. OC
June 17, 2008 3:06:32 AM

gadgetnerd said:

Though this will contradict my sig. I am not a huge fan of OC'ing graphics cards. I can work magic with a CPU, but I dont like Software OC'ing, which is what you have to do with a graphics card. My software changes, OS's change so often that it is just bothersum to mess with. I have to really be in the mood or get mad at a game to OC my gfx card lol. I have always liked the Factory OC's, plus I can build on top of it just 30mhz to hit 700mhz if I want with no problem at all most likely.

Best,

3Ball
June 17, 2008 3:08:51 AM

I'll have to go with 3Ball, As much As I like the idea of better performance its really iffy with graphic cards.

I hate doing it, but if I must I will.

Although my sig says its clocked that high for not I see no point for me to leave it like that.

So I set it up so it enables when I hit heavy performance not at windows Load:D 
June 17, 2008 3:14:14 AM

L1qu1d said:
I'll have to go with 3Ball, As much As I like the idea of better performance its really iffy with graphic cards.

I hate doing it, but if I must I will.

Although my sig says its clocked that high for not I see no point for me to leave it like that.

So I set it up so it enables when I hit heavy performance not at windows Load:D 

but i tought evga will replace the GPU if u damage it via OC'ing. it with there software.
June 17, 2008 3:16:37 AM

yeah, but do you feel like waiting 3 weeks?

In those 3-5 weeks maybe Nvidia will release and new card LOL and you miss out :D 
June 17, 2008 3:16:55 AM

gadgetnerd said:
but i tought evga will replace the GPU if u damage it via OC'ing. it with there software.

They will...thats not really the issue. I am not worried about frying anything. Its just the process of OC'ing graphics cards is not as solid as CPU's and in many cases does not actually boast performance. You have to find a good sweet spot alot of the time.

Best,

3Ball
June 17, 2008 3:17:44 AM

L1qu1d said:
yeah, but do you feel like waiting 3 weeks?

In those 3-5 weeks maybe Nvidia will release and new card LOL and you miss out :D 

lmao touche!

Best,

3Ball
June 17, 2008 3:19:42 AM

yea they recommend doing a 3D test every 5-10MHz lol

im still waiting for more retailers to get them out and that guys testing score 2marow.
June 17, 2008 3:20:36 AM

gadgetnerd said:
yea they recommend doing a 3D test every 5-10MHz lol

lol yea... :sarcastic: 
June 17, 2008 3:21:14 AM

Gadgetnerd: The GTX 280 is a complete waste of money! DO NOT BUY!!!

Did you read the review on Toms? Anandtech came to the same conclusion.

You can get much better performance for the money you are willing to drop. Wait and see for the 4870 series. Even if you can only get one of those cards, it seems that it will outperform Nvidia's offerings (likely, but still to be determined).

Heck, it might even be more cost effective and better performance just to change your motherboard for X38/X48 with how ridiculous overpriced those new Nvidia cards are.

EDIT: Grammar
June 17, 2008 3:21:41 AM

3Ball said:
They will...thats not really the issue. I am not worried about frying anything. Its just the process of OC'ing graphics cards is not as solid as CPU's and in many cases does not actually boast performance. You have to find a good sweet spot alot of the time.

Best,

3Ball

Exactly, I mean I use to OC my old 8800 GTS 320, and performance Actually degraded. CPU OC is very linear if done properlly. While Video Card OCing is very narrow, it either likes it or not.

Not all OCs benefit. There are benchmarks that show it where the OC card is under the Reg card:p 

Either way i'm pretty pissed for now because we as the consumers are now in the heavy Ping Pong match and we're the ball!!!

EDIT: yes wait for the 4870, they won't be as good but it will force a drop in PRice, but Nvidia has been known to keep prices where they want....cough....Ultra...Cough... but I really think we'll see a 280 GT or GS or GTS pop up sometime...thats what I hate...and we'll see what they do:) 
June 17, 2008 3:23:18 AM

L1qu1d said:
Exactly, I mean I use to OC my old 8800 GTS 320, and performance Actually degraded. CPU OC is very linear if done properlly. While Video Card OCing is very narrow, it either likes it or not.

Not all OCs benefit. There are benchmarks that show it where the OC card is under the Reg card:p 

Either way i'm pretty pissed for now because we as the consumers are now in the heavy Ping Pong match and we're the ball!!!

what benchmark program that does that?
a b U Graphics card
June 17, 2008 3:27:55 AM

L1qu1d said:

EDIT: yes wait for the 4870, they won't be as good but it will force a drop in PRice, but Nvidia has been known to keep prices where they want....cough....Ultra...Cough... but I really think we'll see a 280 GT or GS or GTS pop up sometime...thats what I hate...and we'll see what they do:) 

That's an excellent description lol !
June 17, 2008 3:28:10 AM

LOL I dunno I've seen benchmarks in the past...google em I'm sure you'll find a test or 2...

But all the Ocing and some games will beneift 1 or 2 frames:p 

Thats like putting a performace air filter in a crappy old car, and just getting 1 Hp :p  but you get 6 Hp down hill

(OFf the top of my head don't flame me LOL)
June 17, 2008 3:30:11 AM

Lightsmark 2007

found this cool looking 1
June 17, 2008 3:41:36 AM

Well this is not an exact science (oddly enough very similar to GPU OC'ing ;)  ) but if you run 3Dmark06 with your OC...most likely everytime it will go up in performance, but we know that 3Dmark does not always (and most of the time doesnt) transfer over to game performance. So, I would usually then run the CS Source benchmark and even though it doesnt happen everytime. That is actually one of the types of scenarios where your FPS from stock to the OC actually manages to go down quite often. Just one, but like L1qu1d says...they are all over the place, but you just have to spot them. Like I said....its all about that sweet spot with GPU OC'ing :sol: 

Best,

3Ball
June 17, 2008 3:45:13 AM

We should write a book.

Sweet spot Vs G Spot:) 

Awesome
June 17, 2008 3:47:21 AM

L1qu1d said:
We should write a book.

Sweet spot Vs G Spot:) 

Awesome

lol...that would get published quicker than you just came up with the title. I say...we run with it! ;)  gnight for now guys...be back tomorrow once I get to the office (i need to kill some time lol...like today looking at 280 benchmarks the entire time)

Best,

3Ball
June 17, 2008 3:49:39 AM

LOL! Gnite dude

yeah These forums are a real Time killer haha I find myself more here than Gaming.

I swear I think I just need Integrated:D 
June 17, 2008 3:55:26 AM

lmao at the few lasts posts :D  yea what ill do is. do CSS bench mark Crysis Benchmark and futuremark :D  lol

if the FPS goes up thow. will that only be on that game or othors 2.
June 17, 2008 3:58:07 AM

Wat card are you using?

Because too be honest Most cards (even main stream) Can do most games at max ...maybe not AA...but Max they should:p 
June 17, 2008 4:22:19 AM

I am going to wait for the 4870 cards as I do not see 300 dollars more for 10fps in a game. or even 20fps. I do not belive most people can really tell the difference as long as you can stay near 40 fps. So i do believe in price/performance but this is just my opinion.
June 17, 2008 4:48:14 AM

BFG 7950 GT lol
June 18, 2008 3:08:34 AM

OMG .. 3 X GTX260 would be a waste of $$.. even buying the one GTX280 would also be a waste of $$.. at the mo..

Hold out .. see what ATI have ..as I feel they will be heading to the top of the supreme list shortly..

a b U Graphics card
June 18, 2008 3:17:41 AM

Check out the Cinema 2.0 graphics for the HD48XX cards.

Story:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Video Link of game play:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DigitalMed...
Quote:
AMD Demonstrates the Cinema 2.0 Experience, Punches Hole in ‘Sensory Barrier’ Separating Cinema and Games

— AMD teraFLOPS chip powering Cinema 2.0 demo is more powerful than every generation of game console ever brought to market combined; achieves industry milestone that was presumed to be years away —
AMD Press Release:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,...

I would WAIT and see what ATI is going to have to offer. They already have 3 known technologies that Nvidia does not have in the GTX280/260 cards (55nm fab, DX10.1, DDR5 Ram). This Cinema 2.0 may be the 4th Technology that Nvidia will be without.
July 16, 2008 3:41:58 AM

There is one important issue here that, as far as I can tell, has been overlooked. The GTX280 will be the first commercially available double-precision GPU. This makes it useful as a coprocessor in addition to using it for graphic (it, like earlier single precision NVidia GPUs programmable for general purpose application via CUDA). While I realize that most of you are not concerned about this, the fact that it is double precision will have one noticeable effect. Consider all the times you are playing a game and you are slightly inside a wall or some other features don't line up. This is a result of rounding errors. A double precision processor should solve this problem.
!