anghammarad

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I'm interested in utilizing my express-card port to boot off a SSD. I'm considering the Wintec FileMateSolidGO 48GB ExpressCard 34 SSD, which is pretty much the only really fast solution I've found. Is there any way to know what products might be in the pipeline/expected? I've just check & it's reassuring, perhaps, to find the SolidGO was released at the beginning of May this year, so maybe there's nothing better coming from Wintec soon, but what about other manufacturers? Are there sources for this kind of information?

r_manic

Administrator
Errrr, if you've been reading the articles on the main site lately (and posts on the forum), you'd see Intel's SSDs are consistently pointed out as great, especially the newest X25-M line.

I'd second the Intel X25M recommendation, unless you really need something that fits into your ExpressCard port for some reason. Be sure to look for the "G2" (2nd generation" versions of the drive.

anghammarad

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Using the ExpressCard port would allow me the best of both worlds- cheap 320GB 7200rpm Seagate for general storage, SSD for OS & apps. $162 for 48GB w/o setting anything aside sounds great, especially if Intel's 160GB SSD is at least $400 - that would set me back in more ways that one!

Have you found any reviews that show the random Read/write speeds specifically for 4K. Over 50 % of the operating system/program files are under 8K and are mostly random.

What about a 64 Gig Torqx, or Vortex as main drive (about 240$) and connect your HDD drive as an external USB. I bought the 128 Gig Torqx for main drive, put the 320 HDD in a esata/USB pocket size enclosure. Also have a 32 gig Thumb drive and ordered a 16K express card.

Alot depends on usage, I only need the large storage space when at home, hotel, or visiting my sons where I can plug in Blue-ray ODD (USB) and HDD (esata)

Added:
Just got home and my Transcend expresscard SSD. It is not very efficient - Allot of the energy is wasted in the form of heat. Probably use my 32 Gig thumb drive in instead. Tried putting win 7 swap file on it and win 7 did not like, one of the main reasons I got it – O’well $60 lesson learned.

John-F

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I have tried the Wintec 48GB SSD but was not able to get it to work reliably. I sent it back for a replacement.

Problems I had:
1. would spontaneously corrupt and Apple Finder would report "Cannot fix the drive...save data and reformat. You will not be able to write to this drive". This is the main reason I returned the drive. sounds like something wrong with drive.

2. could not install the OS (10.6 snow leopard) while in the Express Card slot. could only instal OS while connected via USB. I did this about 12 times due to listed problems. Would boot from Express Card Slot when OS installed.

3. When drive would work it was only temporary and OS became corrupted and computer required force shut down with power button.

4. Initially could not use Drive Warrior (or any other method) to fix drive. Ugrade to Drive Warrior 4.2 allowed "fixing" drive sometimes.

When this worked it was Ideal. FAST! Boot in 1/3 to 1/2 the time of 7200 RPM internal Drive. Apps would fly open and not "bounce" more than once!

I really want this to work. Having the OS and Apps on the SSD with additional storage of internal 500GB 7200 RPM drive is ideal and MUCH cheaper (and more storage) than going with internal SSD 2.5" drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

dizash

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I was having similar probs. Tried cloning but the disk would not boot- Grey screen and then screen would flash into total power off.
I installed a copy of Snow Leopard directly from an external HD and then used the Migration Assistant to move my main user over after setting up Snow Leopard on SSD.
Last (and important) thing I did was make the SSD the start up disk and then went to my main user and cntrl-clicked on the user mapping the volume.

Good luck- you're right, everything cruises. No waiting to open apps! Worth the few hours I spent trouble shooting, etc.

The only thing that worries me is the supposed limited life of these drives, so I do a time machine backup daily (at least once, usually more).

bigbadbenny

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010

According to xlr8yourmac.com, you should run disk utility on the EC SSD from the Snow Leopard install disc before running the install. Apparently doing this preps the SSD correctly for the Snow leopard Install.

Here's another good thread on this topic: macobserver.com/tmo/forums/viewthread/76644/P15