Need recommendation - low-end PDF

September 7, 2004 9:32:28 PM

I'm a very occasional PDF user. Years ago I got a Palm IIIXE for use
with a GPS and map software on a European trip. It worked fine for that
(except for the need for frequent resetting when it would hang -- I had
to keep a paper clip on the serial cord for the purpose). Since the
trip, I've used it mainly as an address book. I tried once using it to
keep expenses during a business trip, but it lost its brains in the
middle of the trip and I didn't have my computer along. So I don't trust
it for that use unless I have a computer for backup. (I did a software
update which allegedly solved the problem of frequent brain loss, but I
still don't trust it with any data I can't afford to have disappear
without warning.)

I use it only occasionally, and find that the batteries last only about
a month with the unit turned off. So when I go to use it, I usually
first have to replace the batteries and re-sync it from the computer.

Hopefully, modern units are a bit more useful and reliable. What I'm
looking for is basically a unit I can use as an address book, and maybe
keep shopping lists and other non-critical information on. I don't want
or need a camera, email capability, tada, tada, although I saw at least
one that can act as an MP3 player. That would be nice during airplane
flights. Light weight and small size would be a plus. And I'd really
like something I could either leave plugged in between uses or that has
a long battery life when turned off.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Roy Lewallen
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 8:41:07 AM

Roy Lewallen <w7el@eznec.com> wrote in

> I'm a very occasional PDF user.

The only pdf I know of is Adobe's portable document file
format. Perhaps you meant PDA? ;-)

> I use it only occasionally, and find that the batteries
> last only about a month with the unit turned off. So when I
> go to use it, I usually first have to replace the batteries
> and re-sync it from the computer.

> Hopefully, modern units are a bit more useful and reliable.
> What I'm looking for is basically a unit I can use as an
> address book, and maybe keep shopping lists and other
> non-critical information on. I don't want or need a camera,
> email capability, tada, tada, although I saw at least one
> that can act as an MP3 player. That would be nice during
> airplane flights. Light weight and small size would be a
> plus. And I'd really like something I could either leave
> plugged in between uses or that has a long battery life
> when turned off.

Do not get a Tungsten E, or any other model that has only a
USB connection. You cannot use them with your GPS. Most
Palms these days use internal LiIon batteries, not AAA
batteries. You can leave them plugged in as long as you like.
The battery life isn't wonderful between charges, but it takes
a lot of power to run high-resolution color screens.

I would suggest one of the older models, perhaps used, like an
M5xxx. The newest models don't have a universal connector,
which is essential for use with a GPS or other accessory.
Perhaps one of the low-end Zire models would work, but I'm not
certain any of them have a universal connector. If you no
longer care about the GPS (not likely, I would think) then any
model will work, but look closely before you buy.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 8:41:08 AM

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> Roy Lewallen <w7el@eznec.com> wrote in
>

>>I'm a very occasional PDF user.
>

> The only pdf I know of is Adobe's portable document file
> format. Perhaps you meant PDA? ;-)

Gad, I don't believe I did that. But I did, there it is. Kinda
illustrates my level of ignorance.

> Do not get a Tungsten E, or any other model that has only a
> USB connection. You cannot use them with your GPS. Most
> Palms these days use internal LiIon batteries, not AAA
> batteries. You can leave them plugged in as long as you like.
> The battery life isn't wonderful between charges, but it takes
> a lot of power to run high-resolution color screens.

I've replaced my GPS with a more modern one that has built-in mapping
that's at least as good quality as what I think I can get for a PDA.
(Hah. PDA. It's sinking in.) So I don't think I'll be using the PDA with
a GPS in the foreseeable future, making USB vs RS-232 serial a non-issue
-- except that USB is a plus because of higher speed. If I sprung for
something that would double as an MP3 player, I'd think USB would be
pretty much a necessity.

> I would suggest one of the older models, perhaps used, like an
> M5xxx. The newest models don't have a universal connector,
> which is essential for use with a GPS or other accessory.
> Perhaps one of the low-end Zire models would work, but I'm not
> certain any of them have a universal connector. If you no
> longer care about the GPS (not likely, I would think) then any
> model will work, but look closely before you buy.

This is the first part of the "looking closely" process.

Hm, I suppose some of the units use plug-in flash RAM cards of the type
used by digital cameras. Do those units store user information like
address book and expense report contents on the flash RAM? If so, I
wouldn't have to worry so much about it losing all my data when it's in
a bad mood or the battery runs dry. Does anyone know which models, if
any, store data on non-volatile RAM? That would be a big selling point
for me.

Roy Lewallen
September 8, 2004 12:25:50 PM

In article <10jt9gjq376u89b@corp.supernews.com>, Roy Lewallen wrote:
> Hm, I suppose some of the units use plug-in flash RAM cards of the type
> used by digital cameras. Do those units store user information like
> address book and expense report contents on the flash RAM?

Just about all the modern ones have expansion slots, almost always for
SD cards. A few oddballs use CF. (There's even a way to get a SmartMedia
reader into a Palm IIIe.) You can fit a *lot* of Palm apps onto even a
32MB card.

While I don't think that any of them back up data to a card by default,
there are a lot of programs that can do it (e.g. BackupBuddyVFS), even
on a schedule. A Google for 'palm backup' will turn up several. I've
restored my Handera 330 (a *real* oddball, both CF and SD) a few times
when the batteries have dried, it's only a few seconds.

Note that color screens eat up much more juice than grayscale ones,
if battery life is important to you. I don't think you'll find a Palm
that both has an MP3 player and has a grayscale screen, though.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Personally, I've been hearing all my life about the Serious
Philosophical Issues posed by life extension, and my attitude
has always been that I'm willing to grapple with those issues
for as many centuries as it takes." - Patrick Nielsen Hayden
Anonymous
September 8, 2004 1:43:24 PM

Some radical ideas:

If you carry a cell phone, you can probably use it as a basic PIM
(address book, alarms). I'm pretty sure some cell phones include GPS
functions.

I've been using a REXX. They have been out of production for some
time, but are still available (certainly on eBay). Definitely small
(perhaps too small). Definitely provide decent address book and
alarms. No chance of using with a GPS. I've been using mine for over a
year with no data loss. Batteries last 3-6 months, depending on use.

I have a Royal Vista. I would probably like it, but the leatherette
carrying case is very prone to turning it on, which drains the
batteries.

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:32:28 -0700, Roy Lewallen <w7el@eznec.com>
wrote:

>I'm a very occasional PDF user. Years ago I got a Palm IIIXE for use
>with a GPS and map software on a European trip. It worked fine for that
>(except for the need for frequent resetting when it would hang -- I had
>to keep a paper clip on the serial cord for the purpose). Since the
>trip, I've used it mainly as an address book. I tried once using it to
>keep expenses during a business trip, but it lost its brains in the
>middle of the trip and I didn't have my computer along. So I don't trust
>it for that use unless I have a computer for backup. (I did a software
>update which allegedly solved the problem of frequent brain loss, but I
>still don't trust it with any data I can't afford to have disappear
>without warning.)
>
>I use it only occasionally, and find that the batteries last only about
>a month with the unit turned off. So when I go to use it, I usually
>first have to replace the batteries and re-sync it from the computer.
>
>Hopefully, modern units are a bit more useful and reliable. What I'm
>looking for is basically a unit I can use as an address book, and maybe
>keep shopping lists and other non-critical information on. I don't want
>or need a camera, email capability, tada, tada, although I saw at least
>one that can act as an MP3 player. That would be nice during airplane
>flights. Light weight and small size would be a plus. And I'd really
>like something I could either leave plugged in between uses or that has
>a long battery life when turned off.
>
>Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
>Roy Lewallen

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:36:14 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered a Palm Zire 31. Hopefully I'll
be able to leave it plugged in without cooking the battery, and with the
help of third party software, back up the data to an SD card. As I
mentioned before, I don't need it to work with a GPS, so the USB
connection is a plus. Looks like it'll do everything I want. Thanks again.

Roy Lewallen
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 10:12:03 AM

> I've replaced my GPS with a more modern one that has
> built-in mapping that's at least as good quality as what I
> think I can get for a PDA. (Hah. PDA. It's sinking in.) So
> I don't think I'll be using the PDA with a GPS in the
> foreseeable future, making USB vs RS-232 serial a non-issue
> -- except that USB is a plus because of higher speed. If I
> sprung for something that would double as an MP3 player,
> I'd think USB would be pretty much a necessity.

Nope. No big help. All newer PDAs hotsync via USB, but it's
still too slow to be of much use for installing big files.

Maybe your GPS does as well as Mapopolis, but I would be
surprised. I get verbal directions to any address, with
automatic rerouting when I go another route, all on my Palm.
I use a Garmin Legend for the GPS, but any GPS that will
output NMEA data will work. If you already have the GPS,
though, you may not want to spend another $100 for the entire
US. You probably already paid that for the Mapsource or
Mapsend data.

> Hm, I suppose some of the units use plug-in flash RAM cards
> of the type used by digital cameras. Do those units store
> user information like address book and expense report
> contents on the flash RAM? If so, I wouldn't have to worry
> so much about it losing all my data when it's in a bad mood
> or the battery runs dry. Does anyone know which models, if
> any, store data on non-volatile RAM? That would be a big
> selling point for me.

All of them use SD cards. None of them store data on them, at
least the built-in address book, expense record, datebook,
etc. But you can get a very good backup program, like
BackupMan, which will do automatic scheduled backups to the SD
card, and do a perfect restore if you need it. I use
BackupMan to back up my Palm every morning while I'm asleep,
keeping 4 days' worth of backups, just in case. I've needed
them many times, because of bad apps that locked up my Palm,
and because of stuff I did. No matter what else you do, get a
model that has an expansion slot, get a card, and get a backup
program, and back up religiously.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 10:15:59 AM

> Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered a Palm Zire 31.
> Hopefully I'll be able to leave it plugged in without
> cooking the battery, and with the help of third party
> software, back up the data to an SD card. As I mentioned
> before, I don't need it to work with a GPS, so the USB
> connection is a plus. Looks like it'll do everything I
> want. Thanks again.

You can leave it plugged in. It has internal circuitry to
prevent overcharging. Do get the card and backup program.
You will eventually need it. Guaranteed. If it's electronic,
it will fail sooner or later.

BTW, all Palms use USB for hotsyncing, at least those in
current production. The mini-USB connector is only a slave.
The Universal Connector is both a USB and serial port on the
models that have it. Using this, you can connect other
things, like keyboards, GPSrs, external power supplies, etc.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
September 13, 2004 7:08:54 PM

Roy Lewallen <w7el@eznec.com> wrote in message news:<10jskoufujucr44@corp.supernews.com>...

> I'm a very occasional PDF user. Years ago I got a Palm IIIXE for use...
> Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Roy,

Paul from palmOne here. You've already received some great answers
here. If you are leaning toward another palm unit, there is a handy
side-by-side comparison page covering all of palmOne's handhelds which
you may find helpful at:
http://store.palmone.com/gridFamily/index.jsp?subtypeId...

Best,

Paul

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Paul Novotny
paul.novotny@palmOne.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Start earning rewards today.
Register for free at
http://paysback.palmone.com/
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 12:46:44 AM

Thanks, very much, to all for the help. I ended up getting a Palm Zire
31 and BackupBuddy software. Looks like it'll do everything I want it
to, and the security of being able to back up to the SD card makes it
infinitely more useful.

Roy Lewallen
!