Turning off automatic updates

August 16, 2005 6:12:01 AM

I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have turned
off auto updating?

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21
August 16, 2005 6:21:17 AM

Barney, go to Control Panel>Security Center>Click on "Change the way
Security Center alerts me" and uncheck Automatic Updates.
"Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
> turned off auto updating?
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

August 17, 2005 1:41:46 AM

Turn it back ON!

"Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
> turned off auto updating?
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

August 17, 2005 1:41:47 AM

Why is it so important to allow the system to update automatically? I have a
dial-up connection so my system won't update until I connect.anyway. And
there are some updates I don't need (e.g. the application-specific ones) and
there are others I want to download individually if I read that there are
known issues regarding their installation. If I update manually every
Wednesday morning after the patches are released, what harm am I doing to my
system by turning off Auto-Update?
"Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Turn it back ON!
>
> "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
>> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
>> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
>> turned off auto updating?
>>

>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
>> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
>> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

August 17, 2005 1:41:48 AM

Drew

It may not be so important for those who check WU now and again, but for the
almost completely computer illiterate users, auto update is a good feature..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
> Why is it so important to allow the system to update automatically? I have
> a dial-up connection so my system won't update until I connect.anyway. And
> there are some updates I don't need (e.g. the application-specific ones)
> and there are others I want to download individually if I read that there
> are known issues regarding their installation. If I update manually every
> Wednesday morning after the patches are released, what harm am I doing to
> my system by turning off Auto-Update?
> "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>> Turn it back ON!
>>
>> "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>>>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
>>> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
>>> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
>>> turned off auto updating?
>>>

>>> ---
>>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
>>> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
>>> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21
>>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

August 17, 2005 1:41:48 AM

Did you try clicking on the shield and turn it off? I don't have XP PRO but
I have done the same on Home edition.
"Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
> Why is it so important to allow the system to update automatically? I have
> a dial-up connection so my system won't update until I connect.anyway. And
> there are some updates I don't need (e.g. the application-specific ones)
> and there are others I want to download individually if I read that there
> are known issues regarding their installation. If I update manually every
> Wednesday morning after the patches are released, what harm am I doing to
> my system by turning off Auto-Update?
> "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>> Turn it back ON!
>>
>> "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>>>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
>>> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
>>> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
>>> turned off auto updating?
>>>

>>> ---
>>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
>>> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
>>> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21
>>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

August 17, 2005 3:49:13 AM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately no one has told me how to stop the
security alert from appearing on the task bar every time I boot up.
The auto updates is turned off and Microsoft obviously don't like me doing
this!
How do I stop the alerts bubble appearing?
Is there a way?

"Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
> turned off auto updating?
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-1, 16/08/2005
Tested on: 17/08/2005 00:51:23
August 17, 2005 3:52:15 AM

Sorry Rich Barry, I hadn't read your reply correctly.
That works.
Thanks a lot.

"Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
> turned off auto updating?
>

> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-1, 16/08/2005
Tested on: 17/08/2005 00:54:25