Turning off automatic updates

I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have turned
off auto updating?

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21
More about turning automatic updates

    Barney, go to Control Panel>Security Center>Click on "Change the way
    Security Center alerts me" and uncheck Automatic Updates.
    "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
    > How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
    > reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
    > turned off auto updating?
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
    > Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

    Turn it back ON!

    "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
    > How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
    > reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
    > turned off auto updating?
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
    > Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

    Why is it so important to allow the system to update automatically? I have a
    dial-up connection so my system won't update until I connect.anyway. And
    there are some updates I don't need (e.g. the application-specific ones) and
    there are others I want to download individually if I read that there are
    known issues regarding their installation. If I update manually every
    Wednesday morning after the patches are released, what harm am I doing to my
    system by turning off Auto-Update?
    "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    > Turn it back ON!
    >
    > "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
    >> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
    >> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
    >> turned off auto updating?
    >>

    >> ---
    >> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    >> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
    >> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

    Drew

    It may not be so important for those who check WU now and again, but for the
    almost completely computer illiterate users, auto update is a good feature..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
    > Why is it so important to allow the system to update automatically? I have
    > a dial-up connection so my system won't update until I connect.anyway. And
    > there are some updates I don't need (e.g. the application-specific ones)
    > and there are others I want to download individually if I read that there
    > are known issues regarding their installation. If I update manually every
    > Wednesday morning after the patches are released, what harm am I doing to
    > my system by turning off Auto-Update?
    > "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Turn it back ON!
    >>
    >> "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
    >>> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
    >>> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
    >>> turned off auto updating?
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    >>> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
    >>> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21
    >>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

    Did you try clicking on the shield and turn it off? I don't have XP PRO but
    I have done the same on Home edition.
    "Drew Moreland" <drewmore@bogusmail.net> wrote in message
    > Why is it so important to allow the system to update automatically? I have
    > a dial-up connection so my system won't update until I connect.anyway. And
    > there are some updates I don't need (e.g. the application-specific ones)
    > and there are others I want to download individually if I read that there
    > are known issues regarding their installation. If I update manually every
    > Wednesday morning after the patches are released, what harm am I doing to
    > my system by turning off Auto-Update?
    > "Andrew Murray" <SPAMadmurray@BUSTER.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
    >> Turn it back ON!
    >>
    >> "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
    >>> How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
    >>> reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
    >>> turned off auto updating?
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    >>> Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
    >>> Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21
    >>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2005 ALWIL Software.

    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately no one has told me how to stop the
    security alert from appearing on the task bar every time I boot up.
    The auto updates is turned off and Microsoft obviously don't like me doing
    this!
    How do I stop the alerts bubble appearing?
    Is there a way?

    "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
    > How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
    > reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
    > turned off auto updating?
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
    > Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    Virus Database (VPS): 0533-1, 16/08/2005
    Tested on: 17/08/2005 00:51:23

    Sorry Rich Barry, I hadn't read your reply correctly.
    That works.
    Thanks a lot.

    "Barney" <Barney@spam-me-not.com> wrote in message
    >I have turned off auto updating on my XP Pro system.
    > How can I stop the red shield appearing in the task bar and the bubble
    > reminder always telling me that my computer is at risk because I have
    > turned off auto updating?
    >

    > ---
    > avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0533-0, 15/08/2005
    > Tested on: 16/08/2005 03:13:21

    ---
    avast! Antivirus: Outbound Guaranteed virus free
    Virus Database (VPS): 0533-1, 16/08/2005
    Tested on: 17/08/2005 00:54:25

Virus Windows XP