Dumb Q Alert! Which Vista? SBM- Low Cost

ericlund

Distinguished
May 28, 2008
I was reading teh Lo0w Cost build fo teh recent System builders Marathon and it mentions using Windows Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000. IS this 64-bit version or the 32-bit? I haven't built a PC in a while and have been out of touch (I've been living overseas) so my knowledge is a little dated as to which one to use.

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
I also would recommend Home Premium but before you go with the 64bit version make sure there are 64bit drivers for everything your going to use with your system. I had a 3yr old Lexmark printer which I discovered after installing Vista didn't have the correct drivers available so I had to buy a new one. Not a big deal because I like my new printer more but it was an expense I wasn't planning on.

For most the $85 difference in price for Vista Ultimate ($180) is not worth the few extra features over Vista Home Premium ($95).
You can see the differences in versions here: Which Vista Edition is Right for You? You'll note there are 32bit and 64bit versions of each.
In general you'd go with 32bit version if you have 4GB or less of RAM and have older, legacy hardware and/or software to carry forward.
If you have a new system and recent software releases, may use 4GB or more of RAM you'd want to use the 64bit versions.
The 32bit version is limited to 4GB of address space for all requirements including RAM and the 64bit versions have the larger address space available.