Sign in with
Your question

Auto connect to internet upon wake?

Last response: in Windows XP
September 28, 2010 1:51:49 PM

Here is my problem;
I have several task's scheduled to run starting at 3:00am. My computer is in sleep mode and it awakes and completes all scheduled task's. One problem is I can not figure out how to have the computer automatically connect to the internet upon waking. If I move the mouse the connection is made and the network is available. I am running Syncback and trying to synchronize files with my work computer over a VPN connection "SONICWALL". As I said the computer is awake but does not log onto the network until I move the mouse or touch the keyboard. I'm sure it's a simple fix but it has thrown me for a loop. any suggestions? OS XP Pro, MB ASUS A8V Deluxe.
Thanks.
September 28, 2010 9:56:31 PM

Why don't you program a browser to open up too when the system wakes up? Maybe that way you can force it to connect quickly. Maybe Chorme pointing to google, which would fire up quite fast.
m
l
September 28, 2010 10:53:10 PM

Tried it, no luck. I know it's something simple, just can't figure it out!
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2010 10:57:00 PM

Hmmmm. Can you program a batch file that does a ping to any external URL? Maybe if you test your connection in this way, you can wake your network up. Or maybe it's something as easy as checking your nic card settings and disable the one that says this device can/cannot wake up your system.
m
l
September 28, 2010 11:02:40 PM

Or maybe a batch file that executes ipconfig.
m
l
September 28, 2010 11:21:14 PM

There's a prank program called Slippery Mouse. It was intended to be used for pulling pranks on April Fools day.
It moves your mouse around on the screen.
Slippery Mouse

May be that can get your connection activated.
m
l
!