easy2putt

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Preface - I used the search but couldn't find it.

--

Okay, I'm waiting delivery of my Dell 530 Inspiron. I got the basic Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 with it.

I also didn't get the IEEE 1394a Adapter or Wireless Network card as I already have them in an older computer and plan on just swapping it to the new Dell 530.

QUESTION: I've heard that Dell's are NOT UPGRADABLE unless I buy it "configured" from the factory.

Is this true? (i.e. can I buy a "better" video card and install it myself?)

ALSO: Will any IEEE 1394 adaptor card and/or wireless network card work on the Dell 530? (Will I be able to swap these cards out from my old PC to the new Dell 530?)

Thanks in advance.

gaiden

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2008
i'm not sure what it has inside... lets hope you wont stuck w/ a AGP... but either case there should be a slot open (AGP OR PCI-E) at worst, you can always go for a PCI video card... it's not going to play Crysis (LOL) but you can pretty much do anything non-graphic intensive tasks with a dedicated video card.

I dont quite remember what a dell mobo looks like but i assume most mobo has some sort of onboard plug that you can connect for extra USB. Firewire, however, is always and 'optional' thing for boards even today. you may or maybe see one.

gl

b