I only have one last dumb question (with photos) to ask:
http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html.

Should I take a large overview picture? Can I put the
solid side of the case on, or should I leave it off for now?
(The mobo side- I know I need the one side open for access.)

I guess I should look and see if the drives and video card
have arrived today........

"Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
> I only have one last dumb question (with photos) to ask:
> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html.
>
> Should I take a large overview picture? Can I put the
> solid side of the case on, or should I leave it off for now?
> (The mobo side- I know I need the one side open for access.)
>
> I guess I should look and see if the drives and video card
> have arrived today........

On the yellow plastic covered wire; is this the same wire that comes from
the front of the case, which I told you was a temperature probe for the
digital thermometer on front of the case? If it is then put is on or near
something you want to monitor the temp of like the cpu heat sink or video
card heat sink, or just somewhere in the case to monitor case temperature --
your choice.

Quixote

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 16 Aug 2005 21:49:40 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

> I only have one last dumb question (with photos) to ask:
> http://www.electronicfunzone.com/PCB02.html.
>
> Should I take a large overview picture? Can I put the
>solid side of the case on, or should I leave it off for now?
>(The mobo side- I know I need the one side open for access.)
>
> I guess I should look and see if the drives and video card
>have arrived today........

Whoohoo! It's looking like a computer, Miracle! Congrats on getting it
this far.

I sincerely hope it fires up and purrs for you without a hitch.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

> On the yellow plastic covered wire; is this the same wire that comes
> from the front of the case, which I told you was a temperature probe
> for the digital thermometer on front of the case? If it is then put
> is on or near something you want to monitor the temp of like the cpu
> heat sink or video card heat sink, or just somewhere in the case to
> monitor case temperature -- your choice.
>
> Quixote

Yes, the temperature probe! DUH.

Okay, will place it when we are further along. Whew.

> The sad truth is that I have developed a bad case of upgrade-itis and
> I am vicariously building a new computer through you it seems, as it
> will be quite some time before I have the funds for such an adventure
> in person. It's a small consolation... :^)
>
> Quixote

I totally get that. Ross has been in the hunt for a new vehicle
for about 18 months so far, and will need to make a decision
before too much longer. He needs a new vehicle in the worst
way, as his Toyota is way too small for the tasks at hand.
Plus it's far too low to the ground for us these days- a real
bitch kitty to get out of.
So there's been a lot of looking at the car lots. I've seen so
many cars I want, and the colors are *so* gorgeous now on
some of them. It's been like, window shopping *foever*.

So I console myself with the fact that my '97 Hector Half-Ton
(Dodge p/u) is paid for, and has new shoes and still looks new.
Cuz at the price Ross is gonna hafta pay for a new vehicle, I sure
as heck ain't gettin' a new one any time soon!

>> The sad truth is that I have developed a bad case of upgrade-itis and
>> I am vicariously building a new computer through you it seems, as it
>> will be quite some time before I have the funds for such an adventure
>> in person. It's a small consolation... :^)
>>
>> Quixote

> Plus it's far too low to the ground for us these days- a real
> bitch kitty to get out of.

Lol, reminds of me the wife and I. My Aerostar blew a head gasket and is
really too old to try and repair, so I inherited my daughter's Mitsubishi
Eclipse. I think it's a little funny to drive to the store where people see
these two middle age former hippies slowly emerge from the little green
sports car. But man is that thing fun to drive. :^)

Quixote

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>>> The sad truth is that I have developed a bad case of upgrade-itis and
>>> I am vicariously building a new computer through you it seems, as it
>>> will be quite some time before I have the funds for such an adventure
>>> in person. It's a small consolation... :^)
>>>
>>> Quixote
>
>> Plus it's far too low to the ground for us these days- a real
>> bitch kitty to get out of.
>
> Lol, reminds of me the wife and I.

omg, I really am becoming schizo...

Quixote

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:59:07 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message

>>> Plus it's far too low to the ground for us these days- a real
>>> bitch kitty to get out of.
>>
>> Lol, reminds of me the wife and I.
>
>omg, I really am becoming schizo...

As long as you don't start refering to yourself in the third person
with either your proper name or an on-line pseudonym you're fine. :)

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

> Lol, reminds of me the wife and I. My Aerostar blew a head gasket
> and is really too old to try and repair, so I inherited my daughter's
> Mitsubishi Eclipse. I think it's a little funny to drive to the
> store where people see these two middle age former hippies slowly
> emerge from the little green sports car. But man is that thing fun
> to drive. :^)
> Quixote

Ooh! Yes, and they now come in that really beautiful
"burnt orange" metallic...........

Quixote wrote:
> Direct question. Do you have a pci graphics card at all? If you do,
> then you should install that and check for post before you add in any
> drives or other cards, etc. If not then when you do get the new vid
> card in, try it with just that before installing all of the other
> stuff.

<gulp!> Ah, Ross' current about-croaked unit has a PCI card in it,
but the new one should be here tomorrow.

> And describe good speaker system. This baby has 7.1 sound. I would
> suggest at least a 5.1 speaker set up. The sound that way really is
> incredible, that is if you have the place and space to position that
> many speakers correctly.

Whoa. /me lists speaker upgrade on my parts list.

Oh mercy, it's time to plug it in, huh? But without a hard drive
or OS, or monitor, how do I know if it works? Just watch for
smoke & flames, or what? :eek:}

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 16 Aug 2005 23:59:47 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

>> Lol, reminds of me the wife and I. My Aerostar blew a head gasket
>> and is really too old to try and repair, so I inherited my daughter's
>> Mitsubishi Eclipse. I think it's a little funny to drive to the
>> store where people see these two middle age former hippies slowly
>> emerge from the little green sports car. But man is that thing fun
>> to drive. :^)
>> Quixote
>

> Ooh! Yes, and they now come in that really beautiful
>"burnt orange" metallic...........

I'm partial to the blues and cooler colors.

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

>> Lol, reminds of me the wife and I.
>
> omg, I really am becoming schizo...
>
> Quixote

! I read it as "Lol, reminds me of the wife and I."

Self-correcting brain, or brain-dead? LOL

Smeghead wrote:
> Do you have the OS? If mainstream gaming, you'll need Windows XP. If
> you really want to go on a learning bend download a Linux ISO. :)
>
> One of the cheapest OEM versions of WindowsXP Pro I've found is at
> Zipzoomfly.com or Newegg.com. Since it's OEM you'll need to purchase
> any kind of hardware along with it. Their agreements prevent them from
> selling it at $139 by itself.
>
> XP 64-Bit
> NewEgg = $152.95 $0.99 Fedex
> ZipZoom = $139.99 Free 2nd Day Fedex
>
> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604652
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034

I've got an XP Home on my current wish list- why do I want Pro?

> Smeghead wrote:
>> Do you have the OS? If mainstream gaming, you'll need Windows XP. If
>> you really want to go on a learning bend download a Linux ISO. :)
>>
>> One of the cheapest OEM versions of WindowsXP Pro I've found is at
>> Zipzoomfly.com or Newegg.com. Since it's OEM you'll need to purchase
>> any kind of hardware along with it. Their agreements prevent them from
>> selling it at $139 by itself.
>>
>> XP 64-Bit
>> NewEgg = $152.95 $0.99 Fedex
>> ZipZoom = $139.99 Free 2nd Day Fedex
>>
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604652
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
>

> I've got an XP Home on my current wish list- why do I want Pro?

You have XP Pro. What he was showing you is a 64-bit version of XP that you
can choose to run if you want to, since your processor is 64-bit.

Quixote

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 17 Aug 2005 20:40:11 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> Do you have the OS? If mainstream gaming, you'll need Windows XP. If
>> you really want to go on a learning bend download a Linux ISO. :)
>>
>> One of the cheapest OEM versions of WindowsXP Pro I've found is at
>> Zipzoomfly.com or Newegg.com. Since it's OEM you'll need to purchase
>> any kind of hardware along with it. Their agreements prevent them from
>> selling it at $139 by itself.
>>
>> XP 64-Bit
>> NewEgg = $152.95 $0.99 Fedex
>> ZipZoom = $139.99 Free 2nd Day Fedex
>>
>> http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=604652
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102034
>

> I've got an XP Home on my current wish list- why do I want Pro?

Those were prices of XP Pro 64-bit. I figured since you have the
architecture, you might as well run a 64-bit OS.

And I'm a computer maximist. Pro has more useful features and far,
far, far more configurable than Home.

The only reason my computer isn't in a constant state of upgrade is
due to cashflow. :) You'll never hear me state stuff like "Who needs
vertex shaders?! My 12 meg video card is good enough!" Or, "upgrade?
Psh! My 486SX does everything I need..."

I'm a junkie. I can get close to twice the framerate with TWO $650
cards in SLI? Fan-fargin-tastic!!! Time to upgrade!

--
--==<S m e g h e a d>==--

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an XP Home on my current wish list- why do I want Pro?
>
> You have XP Pro. What he was showing you is a 64-bit version of XP
> that you can choose to run if you want to, since your processor is
> 64-bit.

Oh!! :) Yes, I can reuse that one? :)

> Quixote wrote:
>> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got an XP Home on my current wish list- why do I want Pro?
>>
>> You have XP Pro. What he was showing you is a 64-bit version of XP
>> that you can choose to run if you want to, since your processor is
>> 64-bit.
>

> Oh!! :) Yes, I can reuse that one? :)

As oft as you like...

Quixote

Quixote wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in message
>> Oh!! :) Yes, I can reuse that one? :)
>
> As oft as you like...

OMG!!! I LOVE YOU!!!!! :D

Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Those were prices of XP Pro 64-bit. I figured since you have the
> architecture, you might as well run a 64-bit OS.

I went that route. Beware that drivers are only now starting to trickle out
for it. Logitech finally released a 64-bit SetPoint, and nVidia released 64
bit drivers last month along with their new product announcement, so my new
BF2 installation worked.

(My MX1000 seems to have died, hence my visit to Logitech's site to see if
a driver update might provide clues to what's wrong. Now I gotta call and
get an RMA for repair. The charge lights come on but the receiver can't see
it.)

> How will I know if it's too hot? What should they feel like
> normally?

Good question. And like all good questions, "it depends". ;) As a rule, not
so hot that it burns your finger. (If you use your thumb, I guess that
would be a rule of thumb. :D) If you can't keep your finger on a chip, it's
too hot. Heat sinks on some chips are there to keep the chip under that
threshold for chips that would otherwise naturally be too hot.

BTW, one class of electrical problem is heat-induced. Things expand when
heated, and that can cause connections to make or break, so a circuit may
only work when it's either cold or hot. So one of the things a repair tech
keeps in the toolbox is some kind of "freeze spray", essentially non-
conductive refrigerant that when sprayed on a component causes it to drop
in temperature. It's useful for diagnosing intermittent connections that
are thermally sensitive, like when a system only works when it's warmed up
or when it's dead cold.

> Sounds like a cool thermometer!!

Groan.... :D

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> Smeghead <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> Those were prices of XP Pro 64-bit. I figured since you have the
>> architecture, you might as well run a 64-bit OS.
>
> I went that route. Beware that drivers are only now starting to
> trickle out for it. Logitech finally released a 64-bit SetPoint, and
> nVidia released 64 bit drivers last month along with their new
> product announcement, so my new BF2 installation worked.
>
> (My MX1000 seems to have died, hence my visit to Logitech's site to
> see if a driver update might provide clues to what's wrong. Now I
> gotta call and get an RMA for repair. The charge lights come on but
> the receiver can't see it.)

I remembered the driver issue, so decided to wait awhile.
Knowing how much I like to f00k about with machinery, I
have no doubt I'll be reformatting this beast a few times......LOL

I can always upgrade the Windows in the future. Like everyone
else on the planet, I'm finally beginning to begrudge Bill any more
of my money. After all this time, I think the price should have come
down for his OS. :(

ScratchMonkey wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <GetLost@yourexpense.com> wrote in
>
>> How will I know if it's too hot? What should they feel like
>> normally?
>
> Good question. And like all good questions, "it depends". ;) As a
> rule, not so hot that it burns your finger. (If you use your thumb, I
> guess that would be a rule of thumb. :D) If you can't keep your
> finger on a chip, it's too hot. Heat sinks on some chips are there to
> keep the chip under that threshold for chips that would otherwise
> naturally be too hot.

Well then, I'm flying high!!! Nothing was over "just warm" when
I let it run the longest time yesterday. I grabbed the sides of the CPU
heatsink/fan and it was only lukewarm after about 5+ minutes. The
heatsink over the chipset (the one connected to sweet wee radiator)
was actually cool to my touch!! w00t!!